THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177484 - 09/06/06 06:34 PM What should I do?
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Got a $101 dollar ticket the other day for not wearing my seat belt. I usually wear it, but since I am often in and out of my vehicle I often forget. I really don't want to go to court, and I did do it, but there just seems something wrong with a man riding a motorcycle telling me I have to protect myself.

I have an idea, we'll both drive into that car in front of us at 10 miles an hour. I won't wear my seat belt. Lets see who gets hurt worse.

Is it worth the time or I am being stupid because I am so mad.

#177485 - 09/06/06 07:55 PM Re: What should I do?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
It's not worth it to lose a day's pay to show up for court.....or worse yet, miss a day if fishing.

Pay the man, and move on.

JMHO

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#177487 - 09/06/06 08:45 PM Re: What should I do?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Do the crime, do the time - or pay the man! You got no case here.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#177490 - 09/06/06 11:18 PM Re: What should I do?
Wailuku Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Portland
About a year ago the breaks on my wife's car were making a hideous noise. She told me about it a couple of months after it started. Anyhow, I jump in and drive it around my block in our subdivision so I can hear it, get pulled over and ticketed for no seat belt. Literally around the block, not on any major roads etc...

The only thing that kept me from going ape [Bleeeeep!] on the cop as he looked like one of the cops off Reno 911, I kinda felt sorry for him after that.

#177491 - 09/06/06 11:53 PM Re: What should I do?
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Ah, thats right. Most of you are liberals who don't mind government protecting us. Where are you sol. This is much worse, in my opinion, then the drug laws.
Aunty M,
Put on hundreds of thousands of miles, probably closer to 600 thousand or more, with only a fender bender (not my fault). I know I have been very lucky, but when I can't get the police to show up for a drive by shooting, the whole thing just gets me going. Wouldn't mind paying the tax if I only thought it would go for something. Instead, I get to hear gun shots, squealing tires at night without a officer ever around, then have to limp around to avoid the speed traps in the same area during the day. The officer who wrote it was really quite cool but wouldn't back down. Seems he had written 16 such tickets by noon. That was his emphasis.
The thing about this crud is, if I refuse to pay, they attack my credit, issue me a criminal citation and may garnish my wages. At the same time, the officer told me, he had just finished arresting a guy for the 2nd time in two days. The first time was for no license and a warrant for spousal abuse. Back out the next day in time for the officer to pull him over with a ton of meth. Seems to me the system is just like our tax system. Penalize those who can pay, and ignore those losers who can't.
And while you are all right, it kind of makes me glad to show up at court and know that they had to do a little more work to get my money. Being self employed does have its benefits.
But since its almost unanimous, the check is going into the mail.

#177492 - 09/07/06 12:17 AM Re: What should I do?
papaslap Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
yeah but, why did he pull you over?

#177495 - 09/07/06 09:39 AM Re: What should I do?
sardonicus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Spokane, Wa.
It's kinda like military sex education. In times past you could function without the 'device', not any more.. Wear it or be prepared to pay a nasty price. laugh libertarian

#177496 - 09/07/06 01:03 PM Re: What should I do?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I was going to say you should do what you want, but I see you decided to pay the fine.

Would fighting the citation make a difference? Maybe in how you feel, but it ain't likely to result in repeal of a law supported by those pesky liberals who know what's best for you and the insurance companies who care more about their profit margins than your personal liberty.

Personally, I've been a seat belt advocate ever since a car accident in 1966 that left me unable to throw a decent baseball or skip a rock on water to this day. Not to mention my crooked nose. But I don't think people should be fined $101 for not wearing seatbelts; it's self enforcing according to the law of natural and logical consequences.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#177497 - 09/07/06 03:42 PM Re: What should I do?
DaleD Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washington
It's not worth the time/eneryg/mental-drain to fight it. Just focus on wearing it next time.

You have a VERY valid point about m-cycles being way more dangerous in a crash, all things being equal, than in a car. I have my motorcycle endorsement, but one of the reasons I steered away from my old motorcycle was the safety issue. (Not me crashing, but "the other" guy - drunk maybe - crashing into me.)

Good luck...wish I had better advice for you.

#177498 - 09/07/06 04:29 PM Re: What should I do?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Seat belt laws are a fuc%ing crock of shi%, just like everything else in this bull**** country. It's illegal not to wear a seat belt, but it's legal to drive a GeoMetro or MiniCooper? That's like jumping off the Space Needle wearing a football helmet and pads. And if the queer fuc%er driving around in a MiniCooper with his belt on ain't really safe, why ticket the guy bulldozing down the road in his F-250 for not wearng a seatbelt?

It's all bull****. Everything.

#177499 - 09/07/06 05:32 PM Re: What should I do?
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Having a nice day I see SOL.
You have just earned a spot on my voters ballot.

Krijack--Fight the ticket

#177501 - 09/07/06 06:27 PM Re: What should I do?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Then ticket him for speeding.

In my experience the overly cautious aprehensive drivers are a bigger danger than the guy who knows where he going and wants to get there quickly. How many old nags have you seen wait forever for an opening in traffic big enough that they're comfortable to pull out in, only to get flustered and pull out in front of someone with little or no reaction time.

Nice troll, Aunty. But I ain't bitin'.

#177503 - 09/07/06 07:33 PM Re: What should I do?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

When did I say seat belts didn't save lives? I wear one most of the time and I hope my kids do as well. That said, I think the law requiring its use bullshi%. Taking cholesterol lowering meds saves lives, too. Should we instate a law that requires everyone with high cholesterol to take it? I'm a little surprised to see you on this side of the fence where personal freedom of choice is concerned.

#177505 - 09/07/06 07:52 PM Re: What should I do?
TheKang Offline
Parr

Jesus loves you Sol and wants you to come to his kingdom but you still have a lot of earthly lessons please wear your seat belt.

#177507 - 09/07/06 08:01 PM Re: What should I do?
fishpolelease Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: port ludlow
"Taking cholesterol lowering meds saves lives, too. Should we instate a law that requires everyone with high cholesterol to take it?"

God, I sure hope the insurance industry doesn't read this.

I remember getting pulled over by my local city cop in Forks when I was younger and dumber and pretty much broke. The seatbelt law had just gone into effect as well as the mandatory insurance law. I graduated from Forks High School in the same year as this guy, so he was outwardly friendly when he stopped me, but tried to justify the insurance ticket as a policy that was in place for my own good. He decided to not write me the ticket for the seatbelt I wasn't wearing, letting me know that he was giving me a freebie on that one. Being the smartass that I used to be, I couldn't help but to give him a quick logic quiz... I asked him, if I were to get into an accident on the highway, what was a better implement from keeping me out of the hospital, a seatbelt or a piece of paper in my glovebox? He just laughed. I guess I should have just been happy to pay $450.00 as opposed to $550 if he were to write me both.

Bottom line is the system is broken, cops don't have the money to run around saving your butt or catching "bad guys" as often as we would like, but get caught without a seatbelt on, and they're right there for ya. A big thanks to the people at Safeco insurance for keeping me safe!

#177508 - 09/08/06 04:12 AM Re: What should I do?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

First of all, sorry about getting stuck with a ticket. Being $100 lighter and no hangover and herpes to show for it really bites. I wear my seatbelt 98% of the time. It could have been my ticket.

Ok?

Ok then, now for the good stuff.

I don't think any adults should have to wear seatbelts, or helmets when on their mopeds, or be coerced into taking tetanus shots. All I ask is that those same brave souls have enough money or insurance to pay for a lifetime of having someone else wipe their butts. Otherwise folks should be clicking those belts, and wearing those turtles.

Its actually not a liberal stance...its a very fiscally conservative one. Almost nobody carries enough insurance to cover a traumatic brain injury, so when the money runs out the State takes over paying for the care. That means my tax money goes to pay for a preventable accident. I could have spent that tax money on a new Lamiglass, but no, somebody needed to feel the wind in their pubic hair, and their beer belly unencumbered by a lap belt.

Seriously, for a state this size I bet we are paying for the long term (nursing home) care of a couple hundred brain injured adults. At a lifetime cost well over a million dollars it is an amazing burden.

Lastly, it is twisted and ironic that a motorcycle cop issued you a ticket, but does it really matter whether he was on a bike or in a patrol car? Sucks, 'cause the ticket could have been mine. I sometimes go a few blocks before I remember. When my ticket catches up with me it'll be nobodys fault but my own.

As a consolation prize I'll let you in on a locally secret chinook spot that is blazing for bright, firm, 15-35 pound kings. IM is sent. I'm taking Superfly there after he gets off work. So far only he and Jess know about it. It'll only be secret for about a week or so. The fish are BIGGER then most of the Skok fish. So relax, let the ticket frustration just flooowwww away.

VHawk

#177509 - 09/08/06 03:36 PM Re: What should I do?
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by VHawk:

As a consolation prize I'll let you in on a locally secret chinook spot that is blazing for bright, firm, 15-35 pound kings. IM is sent.
Dang Vince, what kind of sob story can I come up with to get on your 1:15 am instant message list? laugh

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#177510 - 09/08/06 05:12 PM Re: What should I do?
sardonicus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Spokane, Wa.
Vhawk said it well. Like the smokers out there. I was once one. And I resented the 'folks that wanna tell you how to live' telling me I can't smoke here or there. The only thing is, if you're gonna smoke just be sure you have the 44magnum retirement policy for when your funds run out paying your medical bills. Why should I or any other taxpayer have to pay for your meds?
'sides get enough big dump jackasses driving F250s and it won't be long before we'll all be riding bicycles. Save the Anwar.

#177511 - 09/08/06 05:33 PM Re: What should I do?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Dang Vince, what kind of sob story can I come up with to get on your 1:15 am instant message list?
Losing a testicle would count. I don't want to see anybody's empty nut socket so you'll have to bring it in a glass jar for proof.

Ahhhh the tides are a changing...must finish cleaning truck, afterwards a short drive, and FISH ON!

#177512 - 09/08/06 05:48 PM Re: What should I do?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Losing a testicle would count.
He doesn't have any left to lose. His wife confiscated both long ago. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 546 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |