LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180157 - 01/04/03 04:54 PM Jet Boat Anchor weight???
Full Freezer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Hoping you guys can give me some advice on how heavy of anchor I need while fishing the Sky, Cowlitz or similar rivers. fridge

#180158 - 01/04/03 06:38 PM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
Drachir21 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Creswell, Oregon
That is a mighty big boat for a 45# cylinder anchor!! If you're trying to anchor in the main current, you might want to go to an anchor of rocking chair stlye, with 2-3 long tines. If the river is of gravel bottom this will hold a lot better than what you have. If the river is full of snags I would not use this style anchor, you may lose it. If you need a photo, let me know via e-mail, and I'll send you a photo of my anchor.

Rick

#180159 - 01/04/03 08:50 PM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR

You need an anchor similar to this. My dad uses a 50lb EZ Marine stowable anchor with his 21' Inboard sled and it works fine in all conditions

#180160 - 01/04/03 10:31 PM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
I use a 55 pound cylinder anchor on my 19' TJ and have no problems with current so far. In faster water let out a little more rope so it bites in better. I typically fish the Snoho, Sky and Snoq. I went with the cylinder style as this won't hang up so easy on the bottom. Hope this helps. Take care and good luck

Doubletake

#180161 - 01/04/03 10:44 PM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I use a 38 lb cylinder and a 28 lb rocking chair. The cylinder works in any water that a steelhead is likely to hold in. The 28 lb rocker works everywhere. If the water you are going to be in has mud or sand, a Danforth style anchor will work well.

If you are having problems with the anchor dragging, first thing to look at is, do you have enough rope out? You need at least 3 or 4 times the depth of the water, and you'll get best results with 7 to 10 times water depth.

Next, anchor style is more important than weight. The rocking chair style gets it's action from the tines. I know some folks have big heavy ones, but I don't think they are necessary. If you think about how they work, they need to be setting at an angle so that the tines dig in, and need to have enough weight to get the tines started. More is unnecessary. If the anchor doesn't hold, then what is needed is more tine length.

With the cylinder anchor, the anchor just lays in with the rocks, and meets resistance with the spikes and with the top edge. This anchor needs to be heavier, in order to lay in with the rocks. However, it's also going to benefit from having more rope out, as there will then be less upward force on the anchor, making it less likely to slip.

I don't think I'd want to lift a 55 lb very many times. The only reason I use the cylinder anchor at all is that it takes up less space and is a bit easier to keep from banging the side of the boat.

Finally, all anchors work better if you ease the boat onto the anchor when you have enough rope out. Use the motor to slow the boat down, and you may get better results.

#180162 - 01/04/03 11:34 PM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
SH bring up a good point, I had a 45 pound anchor on my last sled and it was bit much to pull up on a continuous basis. I have an elec. set up with the 55 pound (my wife bought it for me) so neither she or I have to pull it up. The 45 pound was as much as I would want to pull up throughout the day.
Easing on to the anchor also makes a big difference as to how well it bites.

Good luck

Doubletake

#180163 - 01/05/03 01:30 AM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
Full Freezer,

Sounds like our boats are very close in size. I run a 65# can style anchor on my 20' inboard. I did have to make a modification on the spikes to get it to hold though. Welded 2" X 2" X 1/4" pattles at a 45 degree angle to the spikes. Now it will stop the boat any place I drop it. As for sand on the Columbia I use the EZ Marine set up with 300' of 1/4" rope and a puller system.

#180164 - 01/05/03 06:51 PM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
Full Freezer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks everyone!

I guess i failed to mention i also have a 45lb. rocker style for the Columbia that works great there, but when I tried it in the Sky it just bounced over the rocks.

On my way down to the Lewis, knowing I would fish the Sky often this winter, I bought the heaviest one I could find in longview. It seemed not to hold as good as I thought it should. I do try to back down on it to apply the weight gradually.

Should I add about 10ft of chain to the cylinder or maybe weld some additional flanges or spikes?? confused I want this sucker to HOLD! fridge

#180165 - 01/05/03 11:23 PM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
I would try welding on the added flanges to the anchor. Just make them at a 45 degrees to the anchor body. They only need to be a couple inches long. The problem with the chain is the roller on your bow set-up. If it is anything but a metal roller with a good bearing in it the chain will tear it up over time.

#180166 - 01/06/03 01:59 PM Re: Jet Boat Anchor weight???
Full Freezer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks Fish4Fun & et al. :thumbs
I appreciate the good advice & will comply.

Hopefully avoiding a disaster those times I sleep aboard! eek

Full Freezer fridge

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 398 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |