THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184904 - 02/02/03 11:28 AM Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Both species have had their "hay day" with me and I was just curious which specie you think is smarter. I always thought that steelhead were a little "smarter", but steelhead have the opportunity to "live longer" and return to sea year after year, so they get an unfair learning advantage over salmon. Considering that, which specie do think is really smarter? Is it steelhead or it salmon; and what makes you think that one is smarter then the other?

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#184905 - 02/02/03 11:53 AM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I have to go with Steelhead. Partly because as a repeating anadromous fish, they are exposed to the need to be more adaptive, both from a feeding standpoint and survival standpoint.

Feeding frenzies in Salmon, I believe, make them more susceptible to catching as well. The first jigs I used to catch salmon were nothing more than a used 3-oz tire weight (I was a mechanic for 20 years.) with the clip cut off, drilled on both ends with split rings attaching a swivel on one end and a treble hook on the other. Didn't so much as even shine it up.....slaughtered 'em. Try that with steelhead (joking)! beer

#184906 - 02/02/03 12:02 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
My hat goes down to the steelhead. thumbs
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#184907 - 02/02/03 12:20 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Fishstik Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: S.W. Washinton
i think salmon are, there down fall is the large numbers they travel in, i can pick off a single steelhead, but try picking off a single salmon???(unless its a spring chinook, people have seen the slaughter when they are piled into a hole, they compete for food) just my experiences?

#184908 - 02/02/03 12:32 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
cannonball Offline
Fry

Loc: West Richland WA
Salmon are more of a crapshoot than steelhead. I can pretty mutch count on catching at least one steelie on any given trip. Salmon it seems to be either a few or none. Luck seem st play a larger role in salmon fishing. banana

#184909 - 02/02/03 02:07 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
In fresh water I would say that steelhead are generally better "biters".

As far as intelligence its about a toss-up. Salmon have better problem-solving ability, math and spatial awareness. Steelhead have a definate edge in logic, reading, and verbal skills.

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#184910 - 02/02/03 02:42 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Shouldn't one of them have a brain bigger than a pea before we go calling them "smarter" ? laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#184911 - 02/02/03 03:45 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
Dan -- That's precisely what I was thinkin. Believe they operate mainly on instinct/reflex, not reasoning.

Sincerely,
Roger

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#184912 - 02/02/03 04:03 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Both DanS and RRR have a point......are we talking about difficulty in catching.....or taking the S.A.T. test? beathead rolleyes

#184913 - 02/02/03 08:42 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Smarter than what? Or compared to what? What does the test look like? Ability to not get caught by you?

Salmon are slightly more evolved than steelhead, so maybe they should have the evolutionary edge in intelligence. Intelligence is usually measured as a function of reasoning ability, but I suppose it could be rated otherwise. Neither species shows much, if any, capacity for reason. It seems their behavior depends mostly on instinct (archtypal) and reaction to stimuli. Both will bite a hook dressed with a piece of yarn. Not too bright.

As far as relative ease of catching, it depends. Steelhead have the longer freshwater life history and tend to revert to troutiness the longer they stay in freshwater as adults. Salmon generally exhibit less feeding behavior after re-entering freshwater, which probably explains why you can get skunked after pounding a pool you know contains a couple hundred salmon and a successful day of steelhead fishing is likely if there is at least one fish in the pool you're fishing.

If smart applies to catching either of these fish, it is the relative "smartness" of the angler that counts.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#184914 - 02/02/03 11:19 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Catarafter Offline
Parr

Loc: Kirkland Wa.
Back in Minnestota, on some of the tributaries to Lake Superior, I have observed steelhead stopping at falls. Then they would start bobbing straight up with their heads out of the water, as if looking the falls over. I have seen this behavior several times, and I assumed they were checking out the route they wanted to take. Made sense to me at the time, and never gave it more thought. After the bobbing procedure would stop, then the fish would start running the falls. Smart? Maybe. smile
Catarafter

#184915 - 02/02/03 11:57 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by KingFisher85:
My hat goes down to the steelhead. thumbs
...but now the question is...who is smarter...a summer steelhead or a winter steelhead?? confused

#184916 - 02/03/03 12:05 AM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Smarter?

Hmmm...I guess I'd have to say that neither of them are very smart...

If we're judging them by which are hardest to catch, then...

It's true that salmon are a little further along the evolutionary road than are steelhead, as Salmo pointed out. However, pink salmon are the fartherst along that road, and they happen to be just about the easiest one to catch.

I guess that's not the answer.

I've caught the same fish twice in a day, steelhead, chinook, and coho. Using broken leaders/lures as the evidence, it's taken a bit for the salmon, but I did once catch the same steelhead in two straight casts, a hatchery summer run in May of 2000.

That doesn't sound too bright for either type.

I've had days where I've caught coho after coho, king after king, and steelhead after steelhead...and days when I could sight fish hundreds of each and not hook any, or at least not very many.

I've watched fish after fish of both types refuse my best presented baits and lures, while I've had some of each hit things that any self-respecting fish would be embarrassed to even acknowledge, much less eat.

I think it's not very accurate to put a human measurement of "intelligence" on animals, at least ones that do indeed have brains the size of peas.

My opinion falls somewhere along the line that it is more proper to measure the ability of the fisherman to figure out what works best at a given time during given conditions. When a river is perfect steelhead green and is full of fresh fish, almost anyone can catch at least one. A week later as the river has dropped way down and no fresh fish have arrived, only a few are caught.

Did the fish get "smarter"? I doubt it. They still respond to the same stimuli and react with the same instincts.

Did the fishermen get "dumber"? Of course not...but the conditions changed and their technique did not.

I do, however, find it notable that during those perfect conditions where everyone caught a fish, a few guys caught more than a few...maybe a lot more than a few.

More importantly, I find it more notable that as the conditions get crappier, they're the same ones who catch the few that do get caught.

I guess my 'final answer' is not an answer at all, but a comment that there probably isn't a real answer.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#184917 - 02/03/03 12:18 AM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Fishon grahn Offline
Smolt

Loc: arlington
i would have to go with salmon as they tend to school up more!!!! banana seriously steelhead would have my vote as more geneticly prepared for there trips upstream. even tho they dont have to have that sense of urgency to get with it. they are a bit more crafty when hooked as far as fighting style and knowing where that dam tree is at mad
FISHON

#184918 - 02/03/03 12:35 AM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
I would have to say the pecking order from hardest to easiest to catch would be,

Winter
Summer Run
Salmon

fishy

#184920 - 02/03/03 10:38 AM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I think Salmon are smarter with the Snohimish system Silvers being the top dogs wink

#184921 - 02/03/03 02:53 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
I figure either a salmon or a steelhead is as smart as it needs to be. Wish I could say as much for homo sapiens.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#184922 - 02/03/03 06:58 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#184923 - 02/03/03 07:14 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Is it the size of a brain that counts, or is it how it is used that counts?
Hmmmmmm, interesting...

How about this CFM, tell me what size hat you wear and we'll go from there. :p laugh laugh j/k

#184924 - 02/03/03 08:13 PM Re: Who's smarter: a steelhead or a salmon?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (Carcassman, stonefish, steely slammer, wolverine), 1182 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |