LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187157 - 02/18/03 12:14 PM what time to fish?
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Here's the scenario and it's based on Friday tides for Seattle.

morning high tide is 12.5' at 7:50 AM
afternoon tide is 1.4' at 2:28 PM

The weather prospects are for "breezy" (breezy means 21 mph and up) winds and showers.

Does this look like a day to go out fishing for blackmouth... or a day to stay home and work off "honey do" projects? I'm thinking the projects would be more productive.

Downrigger and Easy, I welcome your comments.

Oh... the spot would be West Point.

#187158 - 02/18/03 12:51 PM Re: what time to fish?
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Very similar to the tides on the day of the BM Flotilla....Generally it's tough to fish with that big of a tide swing.
I also think West Point fishes better on an incoming tide-but I could be wrong.

#187159 - 02/18/03 12:54 PM Re: what time to fish?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
If I were dead set on fishing in those conditions I would troll with the wind, starting at Magnolia and head west out to the Point. I wish they would move that big red ship anchored off of the marina. It is right in the way.

I don't think tide change is that big of a factor with blackmouth. It is possible to catch them all day long. The tide will be going out which is good. With the wind at your back you will be trolling with the tide too.

#187160 - 02/18/03 01:15 PM Re: what time to fish?
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
Hey Carl, I know what you mean on the big red ship. When we were out last Saturday, they towed it there and he dropped anchor right next to us. We were about 100 yds. or so away. They really messed me up on the turn around, however 10 mins. after the anchor dropped we nailed a 6lb. keeper right next to him, 100 yds. or so away. That rusty-assed anchor chain sure made a racket coming down! It is amazing how those big ships swing around in the wind and the tide. Kinda' fun being in and amongst them however, makes me feel like I am sitting in a bucket. I can only imagine in your boat how small they make you feel! I can say too, that the waves these big tugs push out sent water over my bow, pretty big. You must get a real E-ticket ride, ya?

#187161 - 02/18/03 05:38 PM Re: what time to fish?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Never let a big tide discourage you and don't let folks tell you "there's no bait." The trick will be fishing deeper than normal and/or finding structure (pockets of deeper water). When you find bait deep, take a mental note for future use. The majority of the time, herring will stack up at the same depths on big swings. This is because the current is running over the top of them. Don't be afraid to challenge 180' or greater (if you have a manual DR you're probably thinking... [Bleeeeep!]... right about now).

Although I am not very familiar with east side Area 10, I would venture to say.. stick to the south and fish Duwamish to the ramp for an Ebb and a south breeze for the first couple of hours. There is very good structure and some really nice drop offs to deep water. You'll want to fish the upper flat on this.

With a North breeze, I would probably hide closer to downtown and fish the ferry dock to West Pt. Again, I am not familiar with this area.. so I am not much help.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#187162 - 02/18/03 06:41 PM Re: what time to fish?
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I'm less concerned about tidle swing, but generally speaking I don't like to fish when the wind is greater than 20 mph.

I believe Slabquest posted this site in the past which I have found very useful. It basically tells you the wind speed and direction in knots for various places on the PS. If you go to "More WA Winds" you can see what the ferries are recording as they make their crossing.

http://www.nwboating.com/wx/w/wwa_wind

#187163 - 02/18/03 10:07 PM Re: what time to fish?
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Any time is fishing time! Good excuse to avoid the honey do's.
If it was me with A 7:00am sunrise I would like to have my lines in the water at 6:00am. With the forcast for wind the water is usually alot nicer in the morning.And if it gets rough later in the morning at least you get afew hours of smooth water.

#187164 - 02/19/03 11:01 AM Re: what time to fish?
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Early morning won't work. I forgot to mention that my fishing partner decided he needed/wanted to go into work for a couple of hours on Friday morning.

Personally, I don't think he has his priorities right... but than I'm closer to retirement than he is.

#187165 - 02/19/03 11:04 AM Re: what time to fish?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Little Fish,

Thanks for the very cool site. thumbs It's as good as that USGS river gauge site or Bob's SolDuc Cam.

Up till now I've been having to look up to my tree tops to see what the wind is doing in order to decide whether or not to pop out on the pond for an hour or two. Those tree tops have suckered me for the last time. Now I can see in real time whether it's worth pounding it or not, without even having to get out of my pajamas. Hallelujah.

Man, I've turned in to such a wimp. Oh well, back to my honey dos. But I'll be checking that site every now and then just in case I might have to do some "errands". wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#187166 - 02/19/03 06:26 PM Re: what time to fish?
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
Little Fish, Excellent !!!! That web site will come in very handy. I usually use Lk. Washington as a indicator for how the bay will be looking. But that has fooled me from time to time. Thanks Bro!
Craig

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (eddie), 1292 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |