Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202150 - 06/28/03 04:04 AM Re: Killing Dogfish
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
while in school we had to disect dogfish. I hate the smell of formeldihyde ( huh I forgot how to spell it!)
So I asked the teacher if I could bring in a fresh one, he said alright but it would be harder to identify the nerves and veins as the preserved doggy's were injected with die.
My fish ended up being the class study because after many years of dogfish torture I learned that I could put my left hand on top of the fishes head and grab the nose with my right really tight and twist it off exposing the entire brain, optic nerves (eyes included), and ofactory nerves without any damage to them.
I wonder if my teacher still uses that technique?

#202151 - 07/02/03 02:31 AM Re: Killing Dogfish
MasterCaster Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Squawfish (I refuse to call them "northern pikeminnow
Ditto here..... What a crock.

I have tried Dogfish, and it was very good. I must say that although I have "bonked" certain fish (Squawfish, etc.) in the past, the guy slitting the fish open in front of his little boy is a real asshole. I cannot believe some of the people in this world today. Some will say "he probably didn't think about it when he did it" but that is the problem. So many people do not think about their kids any more or put their (the kids) well being above all else. I, and I am sure most on this great board, would never show such a complete lack of respect for any wildlife in front of my children or grandchildren. Teach them to hunt, fish, control predators, etc... But do it with class and always teach them to have respect for nature. Sure, I have had days when the Dogfish would not leave my herring alone, but hey...... I MOVED TO A DIFFERENT SPOT!
That was what my Dad taught me as a child in the sound... To quote him "Son, if you get in a place where you can't keep the dogfish off your line, you have to move or you will just keep catching them". I usually had so much fun catching one after another I would want to stay for the fun......

Regards,

MC

"Equal Rights" are not "Special Rights"........

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 942 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |