LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202460 - 06/30/03 02:21 AM When do Humpys show up?
corkyking Offline
Parr

Loc: Ocean Shores, WA
I remember fishing Humpys alot in Aug thru Oct But can you tell me when they start to show in good numbers around Deception Pass and Bush Pt. for beach fishing. ???

I really enjoy fishing for them and the occasional Silver from the beach but I now have a new boat so would appreciate some advice on where to fish them from a boat , including how and when.

I've done several searches with few results.

Thanx alot

#202461 - 07/01/03 09:37 AM Re: When do Humpys show up?
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Corky
Look for the first fish in late July at Deception Pass (Skagit fish) and a little later to the South. Should be able to count on consist fishing by the 10th of August.

Tight lines
Smalma

#202462 - 07/01/03 12:11 PM Re: When do Humpys show up?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I can remember just killin' the Humpies the weekend before Labor Day weekend just off Mukilteo SP two years ago. Those fish were in there thick.

#202464 - 06/30/03 03:21 PM Re: When do Humpys show up?
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Seen em in the salt as early as the 1st week in July. In area 1o and parts of 12. Could happen this year 2.

#202465 - 06/30/03 05:39 PM Re: When do Humpys show up?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
There have been some reported around Sooke! Which is just North of us in the Strait!

#202466 - 07/01/03 12:31 AM Re: When do Humpys show up?
MasterCaster Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Florida
Having grown up in Everett and now living in Idaho (Yuuch!), I return several times a year and always for the Humpies (Vacation.... gotta love it!) I stay away from Humpy Hollow as it is generally a circus when the fish are in. I fish up in 8.2 and always plan my vacation for the first 2 weeks in August. Have yet to go in that time period and not knock 'em dead in the salt. Gave up the Sept. river fishing years ago, as fishing pressure was too much. Also, I lose little if any gear in the salt. I cruise around near shore and find the schools (always jumping). Anchor my boat in 9-20 ft. of water and cast to the school. Turned my wife on to them 2 years ago (Just married) and she is hooked! Last run, she hooked 13 in the 1st 4 hours of fishing, and although she lost alot, in 3 days she had caught 11 and kept 6. She loves it and is really excited about returning this year. Good luck!

MC hello

"Equal Rights" are not "Special Rights"........

#202467 - 07/01/03 12:35 AM Re: When do Humpys show up?
tdickenson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
MasterCaster,

My wife's family has a cabin over on Mission Beach where we spend some time, so I'd love to figure out how to avoid the run down to crowded humpy hollow. Where do you focus in 8.2? I've never heard of casting to humpies. What kind of gear do you use? I'm pretty new to this so any help would be appreciated!

#202468 - 07/01/03 02:15 AM Re: When do Humpys show up?
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Caught a NICE humpy today at Neah bay. I thought it was a small king the way it fought. It was about 7 lbs.

#202469 - 07/01/03 04:37 AM Re: When do Humpys show up?
MasterCaster Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Florida
Quote:
My wife's family has a cabin over on Mission Beach where we spend some time, so I'd love to figure out how to avoid the run down to crowded humpy hollow. Where do you focus in 8.2? I've never heard of casting to humpies. What kind of gear do you use?
What? And give up my secret spots???? LOL!
I always find them on the east side of Camano. Launching at Kayak point is a breeze (compared to Everett or Mukilteo) and although it is a lot more crowded than it was 6 years ago, it still is nothing like what the rivers or Humpy Hollow is. If you want to go real lite, I use a hot-pink paper thin spoon (like a dick nite) with about 3/8 oz lead behind 3 ft leader. Or.... A hot pink shrimp fly on a fast-sink #5 or 6 flyline (a real hoot), or..... Regular casting gear and a 2 1/2 inch hot-pink buzzbomb.
It is so much fun, and a lot less boring than trolling, plus seeing the fish jump all around you keeps the wife/kids interested.

Hope that helps, and if you need any more info, PM me and I will gladly give you my email addy so I can respond....

Regards,

MC beer

"Equal Rights" are not "Special Rights"........

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |