Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207277 - 08/19/03 08:16 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Cf I've noticed over the last few months you've been quick to jump on and dig your claws into a thread and turn it a different direction. Nobody was saying jig fishing is bad or bait fishing or whatever. All fishing is going to have a few scumbags that will make it look bad. Most guys don't care how you fish just as long as you are doing it legally. Which I believe you do.

Now Micro on the other hand has the gall to post on this board that he broke the law, and act as if it was no big deal that he did it. Then turn around and talk down on a true sportsman for calling the game warden to report a violation. That has to be the smartest thing I've ever seen on this board.

Anytime someone is questioned about their method the individual automatically assumes the other guy can't catch fish. Hey boys I catch plenty of fish and I don't break the law. Too bad you can't say that. Now that I know where ya'll stand I remember to take what you say with a grain of salt.

#207278 - 08/20/03 11:16 AM Re: WDFW enforcement
DJFISHS2XS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oak Harbor Wa
Grandpa...I agree and usually dont jump into things. But Im stating the fact that I DONT LIKE JIGS LEFT ON THE BOTTOM BEING USED JUST LIKE THE OLD LEADED TROUBLE HOOKS TO SNAG , and I get jumped buy someone that used to carry some respect on this board, and the guy jumps in with out reading what is being said

COWlLITS
Grasshopper?????"(note to self: "if I ever think I know every thing about fishing please take up golf")

So you have written a story on jig fishing and now you act like you invented the method. I emailed you a pic of 2 jigs that I have caught a ton of silvers on...."what you use jigs" you might say, Yes your story is right on, never questioned it one bit...you see you and I both keep the jigs moving so the fish has to move to eat it.....you and I are not LEAVING it on the bottom waiting for the fish to line itself. these jigs that I took the pic of are a few years old, I tied them up and keept them in my box awaiting your story so I could learn how to use them. the files are just a hair too big for the Boards pic loader. (if any one can make them smaller for me email me and I well send them to you)....ones a nice pale blue and white and its great for clear water. the other is green/purple its great but you dont want to fish it when the chums are in.

you need to reread my 2 posts and you can make yor apology. glow ball noticed it right off.
I dont expect you to do any lip biting your a grown man and I think your too far down the egotistical trail to be saved.

I do agree that its not to rod, but you see Im faithful to G-loomis because my good friend Mr. John Rowe the CEO of IZOR line sent me it for getting a large tackle distributor stocking area stores with IZOR line (several years ago). The new lamaglass that I won earlier this month in a salmon derby has a great feel but I feel bad about retiring the loomis....I think Mr. Rowe would understand if I lose the loomis in a fair bet......

I agree with the analogy of working the jig like you were bass fishing. My 15 years of fishing local level bass tournys on the east coast with the bass masters, realy has given me the right twitch for swiming the bait. In fact the word twitch was in the title of the artical SST magazine published near the time frame that your wrote your story wasnt it.

in closing take yor head out of the clouds reread the posts that in your words I was whining about see that I have agreed with your syle of fishing the whole time. I wanted to point out in my first post to w.coyote that I thought micro might have been fishing the jig right (swimming it) but still should have released the 2 caught in the out side of the mouth. you didnt need to give your cowlipservice to the conversation, and again WOW I would think that someone in such high esteam on this board (in your own mind) would jump in and TRY to treat people like your the master (think again) I told you I dont back down, lets here from your peers....

you proper grasshopper?????DJ

#207279 - 08/20/03 12:09 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
DJFISHS2XS

Please except my apology! I had your name mixed up with "w. coyote". I must be getting old or I have been sniffing grandpa's farts!

This site as been loading up so damn slowly lately, that I must have used your name in error (still no excuse). I can understand you getting all excited on my reply to you. It was meant to reply to coyote. Some how I was answering parts of your post and parts of Coyotes post. Some how I got screwed up! It happened to the best of us after you make thousands of posts.

I still meant what I said about the rods! And the reason why the "grasshopper" remark most likely went over your head was most likely because of your age. That came from a movie series that came out when you were just a little pup. I think after a while that you will find that after you have written over a thousand posts that you're not going to make everyone happy. Most of my writings or posts go into some detail, and are just not those typical one liner posts!

Come back in a couple of more years and tell me your opinion then. As for what glowball had said, well grandpa's farts are really strong and they DO effect what comes out of your mouth! He's got to stop sniffing them old loose farts! laugh laugh

Just to show you that there are no hard feeling I am posting a pic of your jigs for you!

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#207280 - 08/20/03 12:33 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
DJFISHS2XS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oak Harbor Wa
apology accepted, the betting of the rods was just a ploy to get someone to take me on the cowlitz, I have never fished it and would like to.

and yes I remember david carridine snatching pebles out of the masters hand.

I figure we had wires crossed, out of respect I tryed to go easy but its tough,
thanks for posting the pics, that blue on white also work in the salt, looks like a herring I guess, I also tie white ones with a little orange on the belly and knock the snot out of the dollys in the skagit. I purchased flesh colored maribu at the fishing show and well tie them up for dollys as well. no hard feelings, Im sorry for being so bull headed on my end too.....DJ

#207281 - 08/20/03 12:44 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

Can you say off topic? Common guys. This is supposed to be about enforcement not jig fishing or farting or whatever.

As far as enforcement goes. I've been fishing in this state for over 25 years. I've been thoroughly checked twice and encountered enforcement of any kind only when salmon & steelhead fishing.

I don't think enforcement on fish is really a priority to the WDFW, at least in many areas.

Take the skagit river (an enforcement free zone I think) I've fished the skagit probably 50 times in the past decade and never seen any enforcement, but encountered lots of suspect behavior. For example, two poleing is the norm on the skagit for salmon fishing.

I suspect our game wardens are afraid of the lawless types that poach on the skagit, I've seen guys breaking the rules, while packing a visible gun. Makes a confrontation a bit unerving.

#207282 - 08/20/03 02:46 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#207283 - 08/20/03 06:53 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
MasterCaster Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Florida
Some good points here concerning the snagging, but the morality police in this board as always look over most of the root cause of this type of behavior (Snagging).

1) Inbred, backwards arse, stupid people that do not care (small percentage, like litterers)

2) People that do not know how to fish and have to explain to wife/friends why they spend so much money and always come home empty handed (larger percentage)

3) Like growing up with a step-sibling that is always having different rules for them, they can do no wrong, get extra attention, and when asked why the parents always say (she/he is more special and needs the attention, etc). Larger percentage as time goes on.

In our world that stepchild is the tribes.
I myself do not resort to snagging (yet), but I do resent the tight regulations on fish that we mostly pay for, then watch the netters (or snaggers on the Quilcene) that do not have the same set of rules. Makes the rules a little harder for me to swallow. I think it is called "resentment", and in most other areas of life we would not alow the different rules, let alone defend them with the "it's their right" or "well, thats the treaty" BS.... Rules are supposed to be for the benefit of the fish, that should apply to EVERYONE!
If I ever have the need to practice "Subsistance" fishing to feed my family, I will do what it takes to do just that. Thankfully, right now I can catch a few to eat and a lot to release.......

CFM, right on as always....

MC

"Equal Rights" are not "Special Rights"........

#207284 - 08/20/03 08:47 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Respect should start with WDFW...Those folks get slammed pretty hard here and I , for one, do not feel they deserve most of it. They are undermanned and overworked for the most part. All any of us has to do is obey the rules and help the WDFW enforcement team instead of ripping them a new one all the time. Sportsfishermen are mostly above board and honest but as in any walks of life there are the rats who spoil it for all the rest of us. So smoke out the rats and let them know they are rats whenever you can. Some of the vermin carry guns and attitudes so don't be stupid. Take pictures..call the cops...

#207285 - 08/21/03 05:48 AM Re: WDFW enforcement
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
If ya' all read my post on this and other simular threads you might understand that I am not a snagger dammit and I really hate to be made out like one dammit.

I just hate to see more fisheries shut down, especially terminal and hatchery fisheries. As I have said many time before that will just put more pressure on the native stalks. theres is nothing that chap my hide more than people snagging native fish. I can care less about hatchery fish. This does not mean that I grab my meat stick and snag hooks and head to hoodsport every day. It just means that to me in my opinion hatchery fish dont matter. hatchery fish are raised for sport and commercial fishermen. I prefer to actually catch the fish but I am not going to distract the wardens by calling on hillbillies that prefer to snag fish as long as they are hatchery fish.

I will however do everything I can to bust people snagging native fish.

The top two jigs are an example of some of the jigs I use. the bottom jig is what I would use if I were snagging, there would be no sense in putting any effort into tying jigs up nice if I were going to snag.

The left jig is one of my cowlitz favorites the right jig is my saltwater favorite. The bottom jig I just tied up to get the point acrossed that I would not take the time to come up with good jigs if I was just snagging.

By the way it is legal to keep a salmon hooked in the head dammit!
:p

http://www.leg.wa.gov/wac/index.cfm?fuseaction=Section&Section=220-56-215

#207286 - 08/21/03 08:08 AM Re: WDFW enforcement
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Mooch thumbs Been down the 100 road this summer?sure has changed,huh.Now there is a spot I wish I could get a gamey to keep an eye on.It only took two poachers a couple of trips to wipe out the resident steelhead we played with last christmas eve.

There are not enough game wardens and consequently there is not enough enforcement.

To sit here and debate whether or not a person is snagging fish at these terminal fisheries is moot.I believe that many a person goes to these stack up points with the best of intention but ends up schooled in whole new art.And it aint fishin.

I did some humpy fishing a couple a weeks ago on a favorite z spot.I was the first and only to fish these fish.I managed three reel quick on a pink jig without spooking the fish. then moved to the tail out and cast up into them with a pink worm.got three more,before my leader broke,leaving the pink worm hanging in its mouth.no more bites.I moved up in the canyon where I could see down on the fish and watched for a good ten minutes as the rest of the school tried to get away from the fish with the pink worm.The worm finally came loose and everything went back to normal.I left them alone.

Now how in the hell does a sportsmen figure he is going to go down to a river running at record lows,get in line with a couple hundred snaggers and "catch" a fish?The idea is a big lie.

#207287 - 08/21/03 09:49 AM Re: WDFW enforcement
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
LtlCLEO --
Did not realize that the upper or canyon section was open for salmon fishing. Did I miss something?

Tight lines
Smalma

#207288 - 08/21/03 11:03 AM Re: WDFW enforcement
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Don't want to start a pi$$ing match here, but time after time I hear the same people saying;" there's not enough enforcement....there's not enough enforcement"

Well, does anyone know "what enough" is? How many more to do you want to have? Do you have any idea what hiring just one new enforcement officer costs the state a year (us)?

Could that same amount of money be better used elsewhere in the department or other law enforcement areas? Funds are always limited in any government or public service, so how many new enforcement officers can you justify hiring. And if you can come up with that figure, what would the cost of doing so be, and for what county or area do you propose to assign them to? Since most of the heavy poaching and snagging only occurs for a short time, (2-3) months is it worth spending what little funds WDFW has for extra enforcement officers?

I hear lots of people talking and complaining, but not very many people are being realistic about who in the department really needs what. Please don't come back and say the same old things, i.e. WDFW needs more funding (hell, we need that)! If you want more enforcement, you need to show the reason for its need and justify its needs just like all other enforcement divisions must do.

Would it not be better to train a group of "specially trained officers" that could be used by the state for both public safety and game enforcement? That way, when the big push or need for game enforcement was low, they could be used for other law needs of the state.

It's Just a thought, but it's one more thought then most of you have suggested. So do you have any better ideas?

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#207289 - 08/26/03 01:18 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
Buzzy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Yelm
Not a bad idea CFM, but working for a large city, and having seen several of these "let's hire a guy and he can work for all the departments" fiasco's I find I would like to respond.

What you would see , is that even though the intentions were good, the individuals would end up doing 90% or more of their work for one department. You would be able to trace the reason for this directly back to which department had more political clout , and it would not be the WDFW.

No, I have no ideas yet...

Fish ON! ooops,,, heh sorry guy....

#207290 - 08/26/03 04:25 PM Re: WDFW enforcement
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
On the lighter side...

We could learn something from the feds when it comes to citizen involvement.

Perhaps the following report form, with just a bit of modification, could be adapted to
keeping enforcement busy with the snaggers while the real poachers ply their trade.

laugh laugh laugh

As requested by Steven Ray Russell (aka Mean Mr. Mustard) Hmmm...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1012 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |