THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211870 - 09/19/03 05:43 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Baddawg-I can accept what your saying, but I wont bow down.

Regarding why a school district decides to continue sports.

"The schools think it is important for the kids to have the opportunity to compete, especially the seniors, even though most will never play after the end of high school."

perhaps another look is.-a source of income for the school district? state, fed, fans, colleges?, ? ? ?

Actually most Seniors dont continue education after graduation, why should that be put on hold.

#211871 - 09/19/03 05:43 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Hey H20,

Don't forget about the salaries versus the hours that these teachers work!!

How many days a week do teachers have to work compared to others that make the same amount for working 12 months out of the year instead of just 9 months? Look at the prime time they get to take off, plus all the benefits that they also get!

Yep, them poor teachers!

School levies are noting more than a scam to burden ONLY PROPERTY OWNERS! Can you explain why it is that only a property owner has to carry the burden of a school levy tax??

It's nothing more but a fricken rip-off and you know it! Levy monies almost never go to what they were advertised to be used for, and that is a well known fact! You want to talk about school levies then go right ahead, but first you darn well better do your "homework" and find out the "real facts" about school levies instead of just what your friends have tried to sell to you.

I love to talk about the "lies" of the school levies and I can support whatever I say with documentation to back it up! I'll bet that you levy supports can't do the same! I can only use our local school as an example, but you can bet your last tax dollar that 99.9% of all schools do the same with their levy monies!

Do you want to test the waters? laugh

Skywalker
How large are the class sizes in the average college class?

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#211872 - 09/19/03 05:47 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
H2O,
I will agree that the starting wages leave alot to be desired no argument there. And I do believe that should be addressed. But when I did the math on the Port Angeles dist. only 2.3% of the teachers were making less than $30000 a year and my guess is some of those may be sub's really working part time. Just my opinion but I think the majority are doing Ok for a job that is only P/T at 181 days per year.

#211873 - 09/19/03 05:48 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
papaslap Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
30 to 60 k for 1/2 of the household income? married teachers 60 to 120k not to shabby cool

and summers on the charter boats, wouldn't that be nice. smile

#211874 - 09/19/03 05:55 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CFM,
I agree with you on the Levies...

Oh my... I cant believe I said I agree with CFM eek

It has been unfair to the property owners that dont have kids in school... Time to impose a levy on property owning parents with kids in school... And rent surcharge for apartment owners with kids... payable directly to the school... Besides if it cost more to have kids maybe there wouldn't be so friggen many of them to begin with...

grandpa shouldn't have to pay for the education of a bunch of delinquints anyway...

#211875 - 09/19/03 05:59 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
CFM,
Have you looked at the list at what a UW professor makes. In most cases well over $100,000. But I can almost understand that sense were paying some elementary teachers over $60,000. Looks like if a teacher is willing to asert themselves and try to teach at a collage they can do really well.

Piper,
Good idea

#211876 - 09/19/03 06:03 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
Levy monies almost never go to what they were advertised to be used for, and that is a well known fact!
Actually, it isn't a well-known fact. If it was well-known, then you wouldn't have to act like we're a bunch of uninformed dummies..........now would you?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#211877 - 09/19/03 06:10 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Baddawg

You are so right on!!!

H20,

Did I forget to tell you that my letters to the editor were so factually damaging that our "local million air" that has kids attending our school district attempted to bribe me to shut up by sending me a check for $600 dollars to pay my levy taxes?

Levies are corrupt to there very core!

Cowlitzfisherman

#211878 - 09/19/03 06:14 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
golfer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Issaquah
What does the fact they don't work 12 months out of the year have to do with anything? They don't dictate the hours.Pretend they do, and then evaluate their income vs responsibilities. I think most teachers seek out part time work in the summers. College income is irrelevant as is class size. College professors don't teach, they lecture. Much different than handling a fourth grade student.

#211879 - 09/19/03 06:15 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cowlitzfisherman:
bribe me to shut up by sending me a check for $600 dollars
If thats all it takes I'm in for $50... anyone else?

wink

#211880 - 09/19/03 06:15 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
"How large are the class sizes in the average college class? "

Some of my classes were in excess of 100 students.

How the number of paying, tested-for-acceptance, and generally much more focused on the task at hand students relates to the number of pre-pubescent, HAVE-to-be-there hellions (right alongside my perfect little angels) I have no idea. laugh

#211881 - 09/19/03 06:20 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
nookie dreamin' Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everwet
It's really a shame that a vast majority feel that teachers
work ONLY 8 months out of the year. That "summer vacation" that teachers get is spent on furthering their own educations (on their own dime), creating lesson plans, purchasing supplies(with their own money), adopting federal programs such as NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND, training, training, and MORE training to keep up with ever changing technology and teaching methods.
Then if they're lucky, a week or two to recouperate from the past school year of dealing with spoiled rotten little cretins who have no respect for anyone, much less someone who has the uneviable task of trying to teach them to be productive members of society. Add to the mix crack babies, gangster wanna be's , guns, drugs, and violence, and then say that teachers are overpaid. I am not a teacher, nor have I ever been, but I have had the pleasure of working side by side with them for 25 years.
Greatly under-appreciated and grossly underpaid, for doing what society appears to be unable to do-SPEND QUALITY TIME WITH KIDS. Just ask yourself, how long could you do what they do?

#211882 - 09/19/03 06:22 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Piper

Are you that lame? Did you assume that I would have accepted such a low life bribe?

Are you a student who was never taught what the word integrity meant? laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

#211883 - 09/19/03 06:22 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Piper, lmao! I'm soooo tempted

#211884 - 09/19/03 06:26 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Funny you should mention that, nookie. Nice post by the way.

I've been told I should go into teaching many times. Now that I'm on the precipice of unemployment again, it's come up again. It all boils down to having to try and teach kids that want to learn while trying to keep kids that don't from impeding the process. Better yet, reach THOSE kids and convert 'em.

I could never do it, and neither could most of the nay-sayers here, I'd bet.

#211885 - 09/19/03 06:35 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
Sorry coho, but high school sports are very revenue negative. In most districts kids have to buy ASB cards in order to participate and then there are booster club fund raisers and selling ads to local buisnesses etc... Some schools have fees for each sport that are paid by the athlete 50 to 200 dollars per year. the ASB funds also cover other activities such as band, debate, deca, choir and many others.
The gate at some football and basketball games may be good, but what about volleyball, soccer, wrestling, golf, swimming, etc... Mainly just the parents and a few friends.

#211886 - 09/19/03 06:52 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Try this on for size. All levies voted in here in the Mineral Morton school district. Yet the superintendet needs more money so he cuts back on the hours for the teachers assistants and he wants to close the mineral grade school. Mineral generates an excess $30,000 of money each year(above the cost of running it) that goes to support Morton. This is a B school and he is making $120,000 a year(3/4 year) There is just one example of how our monies are wasted by the big shots in the schools.

If you don't think it is happening in your local school you're an idiot.

I have no problem with a teacher getting what they're worth, but I don't understand striking for a measely amount of money. Now they will never be able to regain this loss of money.(unless they get retro)

I don't have a whole lot of respect fot the new school sytems and I'm losing more and more everytime I watch the news.

#211887 - 09/19/03 07:05 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Isn't everyone underpaid, underappreciated and overworked? From the McDonalds employee to Gary Payton, we are all just pitiful.

I know I'm still looking for that job that pays $100k and doesn't require a full committment.

I think they should just fire the lot and start over! Find some teachers that appreciate their job and the students. The teacher's pensions and healthcare benefits are nothing to sneeze at and we are supposed to feel sorry for them?

The teachers are the one's out of touch.

#211888 - 09/19/03 07:20 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
golfer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Issaquah
Glowball, as I have said before, I can think of head better than steelhead. I guess that's another topic.

I do not have any teachers that are friends. My only experience is by helping in my daughters class, who is now in the 5th grade. As a parent I am sensitive to the quality of teaching, and from being involved in class, I see how difficult this important job is. Class sizes are way too big, resources are limited, and parents are never happy. This is off the strike issue you started out with, and as usually happens, the topic has morphed. I am not familiar with the strike, or the demands. You may very well be right that this one is a loser. Aside from that, being a teacher of our children, in my opinion, is one of the most important positions in this country, hence the position.

#211889 - 09/19/03 07:39 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1470 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |