THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211890 - 09/19/03 07:45 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
"$120,000 a year(3/4 year)"

I'm not sure how exactly one would go about researching this so I'll imagine...

I imagine that salary is one of the smallest amongst all superintendents in the state....how much do you think the Seattle superintendent makes?? I'll bet its substantially more...

Further, do you think being the superintendent of ANY school district in the state is an eight month a year job? I suppose you are imagining that time as paid vacation? I really have no idea what a 'superintendent of schools' does exactly...do you? If that guy IS taking that time as vacation I guarantee you he is the worst superintendent in the state...no wonder the best superintendent's job he could get was in Mineral.... laugh

#211891 - 09/19/03 07:49 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
You been on a campus lately, cowfish.

It's true..........profs lecture, your TA explains the lecture, and YOU learn the material.

They get paid what they do because it's about the prevailing wage, industry-wide. Hardly a mystery................

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#211892 - 09/19/03 08:03 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
golfer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Issaquah
Cowfish, you are one bitter dude. It ain't that complicated. If you are one of the unemployed, you have my regreats. If you have a job, and it pays less than the steelar amount teachers are getting, get a better job. Maybe you just want the summers off to do more fishing. Now I can relate to that!!

#211893 - 09/19/03 08:36 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Now I just did a little research and I'm even more flabergasted. The marysville teachers are wanting a total package raise of 11%. Are you $hitting me. Get real. Cost of living is (i think) less than 2%. With the struggling economy they should be happy they're getting anything for a raise.

GREED!!!!!!

#211894 - 09/19/03 08:56 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#211895 - 09/19/03 09:03 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
golfer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Issaquah
Just curious, how many kids say I want to go through 4 years of college, so I can be a teacher and make all that money and have all that time off? Most parents would not be all that excited. I have not looked at individual pay scales, but I would suspect that tenure drives the number up, and new teachers make squat. The question is how do school districts attract good people to teach our kids?

#211896 - 09/19/03 09:44 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Anonymous
Unregistered

starting salary too low... I dont buy that...

Every proffesion whether teacher or dichdigger has a low starting salary... you gotta pay your dues and show your worth... fifteen years ago I started out making $7 bucks and hour drafting... needless to say the payscale goes up drastically from there if you're any good...

#211897 - 09/19/03 09:52 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

thumbs thumbs

Cowlitzfisherman

#211898 - 09/19/03 10:19 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
"I don' t recall to many fouth graders coming to class with a hangover do you?!"

Is your goal to reduce your credibility to zero with that? What the hell does that have to do with anything?

*I've* taught college classes for ****'s sake. Two hours of Geology 101 lab was a breeze compared to having my kid's friend ****** over for dinner for 45 minutes. I can't imagine having her in a classroom all day. Believe me, lecturing to college kids with a hangover is easy. They don't say a word for the whole hour.

#211899 - 09/19/03 10:29 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
I'll tell you what, piper, the teacher that will take $7 an hour can teach yours and cowfish's kids.

#211900 - 09/19/03 11:14 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Skywalker:
the teacher that will take $7 an hour can teach yours and cowfish's kids.
Now I never said that is what they should be making... that is what I made... I paid my dues and I do allright now...

All I am saying is that anyone starting out in any profession should not expect to make top dollar...

#211901 - 09/20/03 12:09 AM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
bob b Offline
Smolt

Loc: Eugene,Or.
Amazing, people who have no problem spending thousands of dollars on rigs,boats and trailers,computers,fishing gear,etc., can't stand to see the people entrusted with the care and education of our children make forty to fifty thousand a year.

If waste and incompetence need to be addressed take the necessary action and don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

It's true that wages lost during a strike usually are not recovered but sometimes one has to take a stand just to keep from losing ground.

For those of you who feel govt. agencies need to be held accountable, I agree, but focus on the problem, pay the competent grade and high school teachers a good salary and weed out the rest.

You will have to use the existing system to make a difference, if this proves to much the only alternative is to be mad at and jealous of good teachers making a good living.

#211902 - 09/20/03 12:22 AM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Why not work while they negotiate, that way they don't lose anything and more importantly the kids don't lose. Most of the discussion has been about the teachers. What about the kids? I would understand this if they were after a realistic goal, but they are looking for a raise that is way beyond that.

#211903 - 09/20/03 01:19 AM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: hermanghardtke@yahoo.com
smile

I would be interested in knowing how many teachers started college with the intent of becoming a teacher, and how many had other aspiirations and couldn't cut the curiculum(sp).

As I see it, they all knew what the pay was before they signed the contract.

We (the public) expect way too much from the teachers.

That being a given, if they are intelligent enough to become a teacher, they were aware of the conditions before they signed the contract.

I don't think they are overpayed for what they are asked to do, but I do think they knew what the job was when they took it.

smile

herm

#211904 - 09/20/03 04:10 AM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
"...that with working parents the financial strain of extending day care, baby sitting, or cost associated to my child not attending school."
Schools are not free government daycares.

"...College professors don't teach, they lecture."
Did you go to college? I had some great professors who went above and beyond with labs, field work, and weekend trips.

#211905 - 09/20/03 11:47 AM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
I don't think teachers, county workers,state employees etc. should be given a raise across the board it should be given to those who deserve and earn it not all workers in any given area as far as the levies go i don't have any children why should i be paying for other peoples kids to ride on new buses maybe they should let their parents figure out how they get to school. people rely on the government and others to do everything for them when they should be doing more on their own eek

#211906 - 09/20/03 12:35 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Teachers don't lose money in a strike! The feds and state mandate the number of school days in a year. All that really happens is that they (and our kids) will be in school later in the summer. Withholding ones labor services as a method of attempting to obtain a better contract is a traditional way to negotiate throughout industry. However, in the public school arena the striking teachers take no financial hit to their annual compensation.

#211907 - 09/20/03 12:56 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Trophy Mac Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lk. Stevens
Don't know how I missed this topic for so long, anyone that thinks teachers work 8 months are a little far from reality. I have a sister inlaw that teaches in Marysville and my daughter goes to Lake Stevens. I am 100% behind the teachers. The daycare issue, I never have understood that mentality.. Teachers pay, would you accept a contract that gave you the same pay and said you need to work 2 weeks longer? I don't know how many nights and weekends they are grading papers, planning etc.. The kids might be out of school but teachers are not! For all of you that say they get paid to much I'm willing to bet not one of you could do their job! How about working in a place were a child gets expelled, comes to school the next day as if nothing happen, why?
He happened to belong to the local Tr### and got restaining orders against anyone that could do anything about it.. How come admistrators pay never comes into this topic? Since the new superintedent came to Marysville they have added 10 people under her @ 70,000 a year!! My only issue is that I wish we could get rid of the bad one.. That's a whole new union topic. Just my 2 cents..

#211908 - 09/20/03 01:46 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#211909 - 09/20/03 02:10 PM Re: NFR Why are they striking?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
"...College professors don't teach, they lecture."
Did you go to college? I had some great professors who went above and beyond with labs, field work, and weekend trips.
Sure, you get to be face to face with a professor..............when you're a junior and your major has been declared. At least that's the way it is at our two largest state universities (UW & WSU).

When you're a freshman or a sophomore and you're completing your courses required for graduation, and sitting in a lecture hall with 600 other students, chances are your profs don't even know your name. How could they?

cowfish,

If college profs compete with other profs around the country, at different universities around the country (both public AND private schools) and this competition sets the prevailing wage in the industry....................and you think profs are overpaid. Don't you think the institutions around the country have a better handle on what professors should be paid than you do?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1428 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |