Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#213565 - 10/04/03 08:42 AM Ignorance of Our Laws
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
There is alot of strong talk here about snagging and "flossing" and which way is the right way to catch a fish. I heard a story yesterday that I thought I would share:

Someone who works for told me he had gotten a "sall mons" that would be Ukrainian for salmon. Oh boy I said. Way to go! Where did you catch it? He said up highway 2. That would be Monroe I said. Yeah...He drew a picture on a piece of paper with a pencil of what looked like a fish with a big hump on its back. I asked how he caught the fish (2 of them). No he wasn't using a big treble hook or a 10' leader with a corky...He caught the fish with his bare hands!

This guy is a hard worker and a good person. He said there were alot of fish wherever he was as if to say they were ripe for the picking. I know he was not intentionally doing anything he knew was wrong. Just putting food on the table.

I have spoken to WDFW personnel in the past and have been told that there are tens of thousands of immigrants from many countries who scour the woods and rivers for fish and game for food. Most of them do not do this malisciously but I'm sure some do. They do it for free food.

This problem has gotten better I think but the enforcement people for a time were spread really thin chasing the people in the woods harvesting game out of season and with no licenses. In low water conditions like we have now there are tons of fish sitting in pools ripe for the picking by uneducated folks as well as the outlaws. I would say it is up to all of us who know the laws to make sure we pass the info on to those who break the law. In a nice way of course. I know I did that with my co -worker along with the information on how to care for a Pink to preserve what little quality it had left.

#213566 - 10/04/03 10:34 AM Re: Ignorance of Our Laws
Anonymous
Unregistered

one of the biggest violations I see is the yellow access sticker not displayed for whatever reason.
Do they even enforce that thing? I see the signs everywhere that state you need one otherwise its like a 66.00 fine but the majority of vehicles are without?

#213567 - 10/04/03 12:40 PM Re: Ignorance of Our Laws
Fish Chaser Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood,WA
I found the same problem yesterday, on the Soos Creek in Auburn/Black Diamond area. This small hatchery creek open up to Juveniles next week for Coho only. Now there are thousands of Kings Spawning in the creek. I stopped to take a look at all of the fish with my four year old daughter, and what did I see but Three Ukranian descent males with three 7/0 hooks per line and a ounce weight the bottom of all of the hooks snagging spawning fish. I couldn't make a scene as I had my four year old with me. I did call WDFW Enforcement, but I don't think anything was done about it. I was told an Officer would contact me, unfortunately know one ever contacted me. It is a damn shame we can't all have enforcement privledges. It really makes you sick to see this type of thing.

#213568 - 10/04/03 08:26 PM Re: Ignorance of Our Laws
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard

#213569 - 10/04/03 10:11 PM Re: Ignorance of Our Laws
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
i went by soos creek today and saw a game warden visiting someone.

#213570 - 10/04/03 10:26 PM Re: Ignorance of Our Laws
Fish Chaser Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood,WA
hey aix, I thought about it but, I wouldn't risk being in that situation, with my daughter. I am glad to see the wardens were out today. Maybe they got the chance to educate those guys or some others. If I had known that snagging was legal in other states, I would have probably thought differentely about talking to those guys.

#213571 - 10/05/03 01:04 AM Re: Ignorance of Our Laws
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard

#213572 - 10/06/03 10:43 AM Re: Ignorance of Our Laws
DJFISHS2XS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oak Harbor Wa
Im always supprised when all of a sudden they dont speak english, when I just talked to them earlier....DJ

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |