THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#213650 - 10/05/03 02:28 PM Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Was on the Green/Duwamish yesterday, fishing by myself, trolling with one rod out. However, there were several other solo fisherman and about half the guys were running two rods.

What's up with that?

I asked one guy where he was hiding the midget? He laughed and said he had two punch cards. I told him that was bull**** and he could only fish one rod. He kinda just laughed. But the next time I saw him he only had one rod out.

One other guy I asked about fishing two rods just ignored me.

While there are a lot worse things they could be doing, and believe me I'd love to be able run two rods while by myself, it still pisses me off to see people blatently ignoring the law.

#213651 - 10/05/03 02:29 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
maybe they're having a flashback to 1993 or so? i'm still mad about losing that privelege, but it pisses me off to see people doing it when i can't mad

#213652 - 10/05/03 05:55 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#213653 - 10/05/03 06:33 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

bring a blow up doll with you. kinda like the carpool lane. just don't borrow your friends doll.

#213654 - 10/05/03 08:06 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Winnemucca Nv
shucks I fish 2 rods all the time.. down here in Nevada... $10 fee for extra rod stamp. Gets real interesting when you double up solo. Would love to do that no a couple of 30lb kingers. Maybe if the State thought they could get more money by issuing a second rod stamp they would incorperate it.

I fish therefore I am

#213655 - 10/05/03 11:30 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Love the $10 fee for extra rod idea. It would be great to be able to troll an extra rod when I am alone. Shouldn't need the fee though. Why did the law change in 93? Who was behind it?

I grew up fishing two rods and was surprised to learn you can only use one here in Washington.

What is the idea behind only one rod? Maybe we should only be able to use one, single, barbless hook also. Then what? How about one hand fishing?

#213656 - 10/05/03 11:46 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
That is a great idea- $1o for an extra rod...

I see this knucklehead all the time down south here- 2 rods and no one else with him. Don't know how many times I have called him in. Apparently they haven't vaught up with him, or they don't care.

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#213657 - 10/06/03 12:54 AM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
squating dogfish Offline
Parr

Loc: Lacey
Hey Desert dog! I saw where you are from and it brought back all kinds of memorys. During my wild Navy days we would spend a couple of days there partying with the all the girls in the cul-de-sac if you know what I mean. Must be nice to live there, like a kid in a candy store.

#213658 - 10/06/03 11:43 AM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

At my own peril I will criticize cfm.

Is everything about money and the wdfw with you?

I think one fisherman one rod is about a thing known as fishing ethics.

Sure fishing with multiple rods is more efficient and even fun, but given the fishing pressure placed on our salmon resource already is it ethical? I think not.

Using CFMs resoning, why don't we just legalize snaggin too? As long as everyone obeys the limits, what's the difference?

#213659 - 10/06/03 12:57 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Geoduck: "I think one fisherman one rod is about a thing known as fishing ethics."

Here we go again..... as we worry about one rod, one single hook... snagging boot salmon at terminal fisheries.....

The commercial and indian nets go in and wipe out thousands of native fish.

#213660 - 10/06/03 04:55 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Geoduck

I got to ask you, where in the devil do guys like you come up with that kind of logic crap? eek

You say; "I think one fisherman one rod is about a thing known as fishing ethics." What in the world does ethics have to do with fishing with more then one rod? Have you ever been out of this state? Obviously not! Lots of states allow fishermen to use more then one rod at a time.

Check out what the rest of the states say about using more then one rod at a time. Are all those millions of other fishermen "unethical" just because they are allowed to fish with more then one rod? If you're going to defend the "one rod" position, at least do it in a way that makes some kind of sense. eek confused If you can come with a logical explanation, why we can't use 2 rods, please post it! Then maybe people just might listen to what you are saying ....maybe!!

Cowlitzfisherman

#213661 - 10/06/03 05:36 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Fortunately for me, I catch enough fish using 1 rod at a time to satisfy my fishing addiction, so it's a non-issue. IMO, fishing with 2 rods is just too much hassle anyway, whether legal/ethical or not.

For example:

Trolling - One rod goes off of the downrigger and you not only have to fight that fish, but you have to pop the other rod and crank in both 'riggers, or risk getting all tangled up and losing your fish.

Casting - Who can cast and retrieve 2 rods at the same time? This I'd like to see.

Plunking - Again, one rod gets bit and it's a Chinese fire drill trying to keep the fish out of the other line.

For me personally, even if it WERE legal to fish with 2 rods simultaneously, the above scenarios would make it too stressful, and one of the main reasons I fish is to relieve stress. smile

#213662 - 10/06/03 06:28 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I am with 4salt on this one!One rod is enough work.

#213663 - 10/06/03 07:05 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

It just seems to me that fishing for a one or two fish limit with two rods is overkill.

With todays strict size limits and mandatory release of wild fish, how could one possibly assure the release of fish in a timely manner if playing two at a time?

If two rods were legal, wouldn't some people want three rods. If three rods is good, why not five?

Its about recreation, not maximizing harvest.

If harvest is all you care about, why not use dynamite or gill nets or whatever . . . these are all more effective tools for harvesting than a hook and line.

Also, if the state was really in this for the money, why don't they just sell a license for each rod. That way those that want to fish more rods can.

#213664 - 10/06/03 07:24 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#213665 - 10/06/03 07:36 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I guess I didn't express myself clearly enough for you Cowlitz... for that I apologize. wink

I don't care one way or another! I fish with one rod and am satisfied with the results so far. If you, or anyone else wants to fish with 2, that's great! You know the process, I suggest working to get the rule changed.

As of this posting, the rules say you can legally fish with only 1 rod at a time. I follow the rules, and what do you know, all is good in my fishing life... smile

#213666 - 10/06/03 07:38 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
For the first time I'll have to take 4salts' side and also CFMs' opinion as well. I have a 5 year old son who has a punch card and is legal to catch salmon. I only run 1 rod with him in the boat because it just gets too difficult to handle everything. Rods, kicker motor, my sons' goofing around. He just isn't big enough to handle a rod without help yet. So on my boat, 1 rod.
On the other hand, I really don't have a problem with the state charging an extra fee for a 2 rod stamp. I do believe that is the way in California. It's just my opinion and not to be forced on anyone.

#213667 - 10/06/03 08:08 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
chaser Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville,wa
When I first moved to this state, you were allowed to fish with two rods per person in the salt. They reduced it to one rod in the name of "conservation". The logic was that two rods were more efficient than one. The hipocracy was that they kept the limit at two or three fish per person per day.(I cant quite remember the total) beathead

What difference does it make how many rods you use as long as you dont exceed the limit. As for paying extra to fish another rod I say BULL! Why the hell should anyone have to pay any more just to fish another rod. The limit is still the same! mad

#213668 - 10/06/03 08:33 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
jayjos Offline
Fry

Loc: puyallup WA
Here we go again. Is this one going to be 2 or 3 pages of bashing? You know what would make a entertaining night? the member's of this bord and a couple bottle's of tequila. fight

#213669 - 10/06/03 08:51 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
To get this thread back on track........

People in Idaho use two rods, with a $10 fee, while fishing for sturgeon. One sturgeon rod, one trout/small moutn rod. Makes sence to me because sturgeon are scarce up there. I could also see where it would be handy while blackmouth fishing when you need to find the depth of the fish. That way you could use diferent depths.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1031 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645407 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |