Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#218867 - 11/15/03 02:36 AM Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
40 inches. Taken on a fly with a dryline in 40 degree water. I had the privelage of tailing (well I tried and failed) the fish and taking a picture of board member Brian L. with his big pretty steelie.

#218868 - 11/15/03 09:20 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Looks like stumbling around on all those nasty rocks was worth it!! Congratulations~ beer

#218869 - 11/15/03 10:37 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
slug Offline
Smolt

Loc: poulsbo
Thompson-Clearwater ??????????

#218870 - 11/15/03 11:53 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
BNelson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Woodinville
Nice fish! Too bad that if the new proposals go through we wont be able to take pictures like that. Myself I would rather take a pic than kill one, most of the time. That is if that is river "X" Spark

#218871 - 11/15/03 09:44 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by BNelson:
Too bad that if the new proposals go through we wont be able to take pictures like that. Myself I would rather take a pic than kill one, most of the time.
Actually, pictures like that would still be legal as that was a hatchery fish. wink

The reasoning behind my support for the proposed regulation is because I am tired of seeing so many wild steelhead so poorly handled that are to be released.

You can still get so-called hero photos even if the fish is not removed from the water.

#218872 - 11/15/03 10:22 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Ryan:

I agree with you on the pix. Even though I make part of my income from fish pix, I think we can do what we need to do without taking the fish out of the water. I am certain that my photographic efforts have resulted in the death of a few fish. For that I am sorry. However, I think most of the Kodak killer episodes I have been involved in were with hatchery fish.

I have seen too many fish slip from peoples hand only to land, hard, on the rocks. While I personally believe steelhead are pretty dang tough creatures, some of thos episodes probably killed the fish. In many places wild fish are scarce enough that it would be a shame to kill them while we take a photo commerating our release.

#218873 - 11/16/03 12:50 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Not to turn this into a debate about photography but the following pictures show that it is possible to get decent pictures without fully removing the fish from the water. Sorry if I am taking this too far but it is an issue I feel strongly about.

#218874 - 11/16/03 01:02 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Beerman Offline
Parr

Loc: Dupont
Spalding Mission on the Clearwater? It's nice to see pics from an area I spent the last sixteen years.

#218875 - 11/16/03 01:19 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
if a particular run is that sensitive, dont bother with "handling regs" just close the river to fishing completely until the fish can recover. its very simple, and it would be much easier to enforce.

i dont think a few seconds out of the water will change their survival chances anyway. but dropping them on the rocks, thats a different story.

#218876 - 11/16/03 07:09 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
This is another reason you guys do not see pics of the fish I catch.Not that I really catch that much but I fish alone for the most part and my atempts for pics in the past did more harm than good.

My rope climbing buddy and I got a routine down.The person who catches the fish plays it and takes the pic.The second person gets to tail the fish pic it up a foot or so for the pose and then slipp the hook and and send it free.

It is always fun showing somebody a pic and they say that isn't you??

#218877 - 11/16/03 03:00 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Metalhead, So you propose closing all hatchery fisheries, since there is incidental catch of wild steelhead in those fisheries as well?

Sparkey, you made some good points. This rule will be good for the fish, further reduce hooking mortality, and bring attention to fishers to learn proper C&R techniques. In my opinion it is apalling the number of wild fish that I have witnessed that are mishandled.

#218878 - 11/16/03 03:31 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Beerman Offline
Parr

Loc: Dupont
Handling of fish depends on their condition when brought in. The largest steelie I ever caught I never got a picture because all my time was spent revivng the fish for release. This little native hen was in great shape so I had time to gently handle it for a picture before release. Just be sure to never squeeze the tail or belly of the fish to firmly. If you have to hold on to tight forgo the picture because you will only injure the fish.

#218879 - 11/16/03 06:16 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Between 2 Mountains
Well here is your chance.Write the proposal that you like/dislike.This is your chance to voice your opinion. thumbs

#218880 - 11/16/03 08:02 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
Quote:
Originally posted by Double Haul:
Metalhead, So you propose closing all hatchery fisheries...
thats not what i said, maybe you should re-read my post, i said "if a particular run is that sensitive..."

i see no good in a regulation like that. fish will still be mishandled, sharp metal will still cut into their mouths, and they are still being stressed and worn down as they are reeled in. i will say it again, if a particular run is that sensitive that it cannot handle the angling pressure, it should be closed to fishing.

i think too many people want to fish "their" favorite water and dont want to give it up, no matter how it hurts the fish, and are willing to settle for "politically correct" regulations that don't do much to help the fish but lets them drive home at the end of the day with a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

#218881 - 11/16/03 09:15 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Metalhead, Doesn't particular sensitive runs also exist in rivers currently open for hatchery steelhead fisheries? For example the Wynooche does not allow retention of wild steelhead, however it has a late hatchery run that is targeted. Should that fishery be closed or would it be better if fishers just handled the wild fish better and allowed them to continue to fish for the hatchery fish?

#218882 - 11/17/03 09:55 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Right on... Lower Clearwater. That would be a B-RUN !! If you ever catch one like that, that has all its fins you won't soon forget it. Atta boy with a fly rod no less. SWEET.

#218883 - 11/18/03 07:24 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Gotta chime in on this on this one since Sparky decided to use my pic on the board.

Yes, I like pictures of me with big fish! beer Hell, who doesn't??!! And I LOVE that river - I've been stupid-lucky on it for years.

But I've also seen plenty of mishandling of fish either because OH DAMN, it's a WILD fish so we gotta release it! (bang around in the bottom of the boat or on the bank before being unceremoniously dumped back in the water) or Hero poses with 10 or 11 shots being taken from every angle before the guy gets tired of holding the fish and decides to give it a drink.

This isn't just a "Anti-Photo" campaign, it's an attempt to minimize the C&R mortality of wild fish that will be released anyway the same as the barbless hooks regs for salmon and the increasing use of those nifty little de-hooker wires by concerned anglers.

Sure, we'll lose some great shots. But it's a small price ( IMHO) to pay for a few less wild fish getting bouced off rocks and boat bottoms .

Fish On!

Brian

#218884 - 11/19/03 12:24 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
i too gotta say.....the clearwater river rocks!!! my new rod will be here next week and im heading over there to do some fishing.. i lived in orofino for 9 years, its sad to have left, but its good i did...no future there, but awesome fishing!!

#218885 - 11/19/03 02:28 AM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Hey I disagree with the Idaho location that Spark caught that fish. Try N. Central Washinton. My friend that lives over there caught and released 21 Steelies the 2nd week in June,, all on flys..... wink :p

#218886 - 11/19/03 02:55 PM Re: Just Because Big Steelhead Rock
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkey:
it is possible to get decent pictures without fully removing the fish from the water.
Where? wink

If that's "decent", I'd hate to see "crappy".

Oh, and the phish in the 2nd photo is out of the water, if I'm not mistaken, Sparkster. That would be breaking the (proposed) Rulez, if they were to pass. Shame, shame.

That proposed rule is a joke.

Honestly, if you are that bent out of shape about wild fish, why are you fishing for them? How many wild fish did you, and are you, going to kill just by incidental hooking mortality?

So much for "every little thing helps", huh?

It's such a silly regulation that does no good on the grand scheme of things.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |