LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#220686 - 11/30/03 04:26 AM LED trailer lights?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I have seen LED trailer lights at some boating stores. My questions are:

1. Are they worth the $60 asking price?

2. Do they really last longer than standard trailer lights?

3. What has been your experience, if any?

#220687 - 11/30/03 09:43 AM Re: LED trailer lights?
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
got mine for half that on ebay so far so good

#220688 - 11/30/03 11:00 AM Re: LED trailer lights?
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
Carl, don't know how much of a difference their is in the lights boat shops are carrying but they have them at the truckers store in your neighborhood on pac highway also I think I saw them in Napa on pac highway headed towards the mall I hate paying boat shop prices when part of the time you can find the same thing elsewhere for half the price don't know if thats the case here but its worth checking out. smile

#220689 - 11/30/03 12:31 PM Re: LED trailer lights?
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
E.L.,

I had LED's put on my trailer 8 months ago and it has been by far the best investment ever for my trailer. My trailer lights get totaly submergeg every time I launch and I was going through quite a few bulbs either from corrosion or from heat breakage when I spaced and forgot to unplug them. Each light has miltiple lights inside and they are totally sealded if a lightwas to burn out you still have many lights to keep you going. By the way the LED's are much brighter than bulbs, I wouldn't hesitate a minute to get them on. Another bonus no more getting pulled over by the man with the Blue Light on the way home.

#220690 - 11/30/03 03:42 PM Re: LED trailer lights?
bear Offline
Parr

Loc: federal way
Hi Carl
LED lites are the way to go. They use 1/10th of the amperage and out last standard bulbs . There are many sizes and there are rubber mounted so nothing to rot out and all the conections are sealed. I have a Truck Lite catalog if you would like to see it . I buy mine in Tacoma from Cascade Friction much cheaper than a boating store.
Dan

#220691 - 11/30/03 07:53 PM Re: LED trailer lights?
talljeeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Easy, you can find replacement LED's a truck stops for a fraction of what you stated.
Being a Jeeper it is a common rear tailight conversion. Look up Stu Olson + Jeep and Stu will show ya a really good write up. I will include the link to the write up but you gotta check out my buddies site. He is also into mobile mapping and radio BIG TIME so you may pick up some ideas for boatin and fishin.
Let me know what ya think.....I hope I have saved ya some money and given ya some cool options
http://www.stu-offroad.com/otherwriteups/led/led-1.htm

Paul

#220693 - 12/02/03 04:21 AM Re: LED trailer lights?
bigb8bigfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Here's the low down Carl, waterproof, shock resistant, low voltage draw on the electrical system, no filament so longer life, and yes you get what you pay for. More l.e.ds' means more dollars. Check out 6 robblees' just north of the old Duwamish drive in for what's available. There prices are full retail so no you're not going to get a bargain there, but, at least to see what's on the market. Recommend also check into putting l.e.d's for running lights in the boat and for those early a.m. fishing when a flashlite just don't cut it, you line them up in the gunnel rail and have them lite up in sections and it won't drain the boat battery. The possibilities are endless. thumbs

Robert

#220694 - 12/02/03 11:59 PM Re: LED trailer lights?
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
Looking to spend some extra cash man?
Just another thing you don't need. LOL
Had my stock for 3 1/2 years now. Every year in the salt. And you know i fish alot. Never had a problem and still havn't blown a bulb. Don't really need sealed cases. Just bottom venting ones. Water never goes past the water line no matter how deep you go, and they always drain. And replacement for all the lights on my trailer are cheeper than just the tail light leds.
And think how pretty they would look to a theif!!!? I've already had my side markers stolen twice. Something to think about.

Electronics engineering has taught me LEDs are not as durable as most will have you believe. It's a diode and sensative to temps and impacts similar to filaments though slightly more giving.

Drop the 60$ on something important like an automatic inflating slimline PFD. Very nice!!!! Great for rivers too! Remeber, LEDs cost less than 10 cents at the elec. store. More LEDs means more of a rip-off in my book. Just like HDTV, just a rip-off.

#220695 - 12/03/03 12:23 AM Re: LED trailer lights?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I put LED's on my trailer and I paid 40 for the set with the rubber sleeve..Buy at a truck supply

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1075 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |