Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#223572 - 12/23/03 08:10 PM How Did You do on Razor Clams
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I dug at Grayland. It was spotty. My buddy went about 300 yards south of the entrance road and did great, but the size was small. I had a tough time. I was handicapped by a three year old who inadvertently went surfing, and two 25-year-old women who had never dug before. But the digging was tough. I finally got a limit but only three or four were good big clams. What a joy cleaning all the tiny and well-smashed clams dug by two newbies. It was a glorious day and we all had fun.

#223573 - 12/23/03 08:37 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
We did very good Dave.
Got 4 limits within an hour.

Anybody here making custom stainless steel tubes of larger diameter?

Thanks

#223574 - 12/23/03 09:12 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
I have been thinking about biulding a few clam guns from very thin S.S. I don't use a gun but know people who do and think I can biuld one better than you could buy. give me yer E-mail address as I am un-employed and could use some $$$ on the side.

dc

#223575 - 12/23/03 09:18 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

sorry Ironhead i forgot to give you my e-mail.

dcrzfitter @attbi.com

anybody els want one that is light wieght and larger di. I was thinking about 4.5-5"

After Christmas I will make some calls and see what my cost would be and if I can make some that the average dude could buy.

p.s. we did very well on this did both sunday and monday but we didn't dig tonight.

dc laugh

#223576 - 12/23/03 10:41 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

DRZFITTER:

E Mail me: I tried yours and got an undeliverable message.

#223577 - 12/23/03 10:46 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
I cleaned up at Mocrocks, but it was worse than surf digging, more like blue water digging eek Actually got wet cry My daughter had a cold and didn't help too much, and my wife blew out her knee getting on her horse and is on crutches so she had to get the disability exemption and I had to dig for her too. Still got 3 limits, big ones too, one of them was 6 1/2 inches laugh

Only went on Sunday, yesterday the surf was 11+ and today it was 13, blowing and raining too. Don't want clams that bad rolleyes

#223578 - 12/23/03 11:17 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The digging at Pacific Beach (Mocrocks) was fast and furious on Sunday. Weather was excellent, unseasonably calm with almost no wind! They were showing in such numbers that we couldn't possibly dig everything we saw... and most were showing without any provocation with the shovel, gun, or stomping around. We took ten limits before sunset, and with selective digging over the most promising "shows" the vast majority were in the 6 inch range or better.

Went back to the same spot on Monday, and things were quite a bit tougher. They weren't showing near as well... had to really pound the sand to make 'em show. They were definitely laying a little deeper than the day before... three scoops with the shovel before even thinking about reaching down. Also a lot more dinks than the previous day. We dug past the twilight zone and well into the lantern zone before finally calling it quits. Someone had to go pee real bad... and it wasn't one of the boys. We ended up with 95 clams, about one-third jumbos, one-third mediums, and one-third dinks. I agree with DV... nothing worse than cleaning crushed dinks! But the savory flavor of chowder and fresh- fried clams quickly reminds me that, yeah, its worth it.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#223579 - 12/24/03 01:54 AM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by fishNphysician:
But the savory flavor of chowder and fresh- fried clams quickly reminds me that, yeah, its worth it.
thumbs

I'll second that Doc!

I drove from bremerton each day to fish the morning and dig the evening. Had limits of really nice clams both days before dark. In fact there where so many clams showing Sunday that we bypassed the smaller dimples and just concentrated on the big ones, Boy did we get some nice clams. How can you beat tee shirt clamming weather in December?

$40 bucks for two tanks of gas
$30 bucks for burgers and beers at the Green Lantern
$10 bucks for espresso afterwards

Meeting up with family and friends coming all the way from Portland and Forks to dig clams!!

Priceless... wink

#223580 - 12/24/03 05:35 AM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
bear Offline
Parr

Loc: federal way
WE WENT TO GRAYLAND ON SUNDAY. MY WIFE OPPTED TO STAY HOME WITH THE BABY SO MY OLDEST GIRL AND I WENT DOWN SHE IS 4. IT WAS HER FIRST TIME AT THE OCEAN AND SHE DIDNT LIKE THE WAVES I SPENT MOST OF MY TIME WATCHING HER AND I ENDED UP WITH 3 CLAMS AND AT 4:30 A WAVE CAME UP ON US AND SHE WENT FACE DOWN IN THE WATER WE WERE DONE. WE CHANGED OUR CLOTHES CAME HOME CLEANED OUR CLAMS FRIED THEM UP FOR HER SHE LOVED THEM AND WANTS TO GO BACK AND DO THIS AGAIN. ALL IN ALL IT WAS A FUN AFTERNOON.
MERRY CHRISTMAS
BEAR

#223581 - 12/24/03 11:59 AM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Gee Dave..........what a shame. Slowed down by TWO 25-year-old women.

I can think of worse ways to get slowed down. wink

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#223582 - 12/24/03 12:23 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The Hubster, son and I went to Kalaloch on Sunday afternoon. We started digging at 3:30. Clams were very deep, showed little, but were very large. Limited and in the truck by 4:45.

The next night, I took 2 women who've never clammed before. We started very early and dug lots of empty holes. When the tide really dropped they started to show really well, but by then we were finishing up. Lydia figured it out fast and got her limit, but Joanne couldn't pull the gun and the backwards operation of a clam shovel mystified her. So I dug her limit, too.

They had a blast and we were off the beach before we needed a lantern. So I guess we done good.

If the drive wasn't so long, I'd have gone back yesterday! My back hurts after 5 hours in my rough ridin' Turbo Diesel. Just couldn't do 3 more hours!

#223583 - 12/28/03 12:27 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
DV, we found the digging very good at Grayland. We dug just a little south of the "red barn" access. I thought the clams were running on the large side.
The "highlight" of the trip was an exciting rogue wave that washed about 1/4 of the diggers up the beach on Sunday. Were you there for that? We got another couple quick limits before returning Monday evening.

#223584 - 12/28/03 01:29 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

#223585 - 12/28/03 03:37 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
DV,

Ah, but you DID get to bring home SOMETHING. With most all the other hobbies I can think of, you spend a ton of money and bring home NOTHING....

After the pandemonium of the BIG WAVE, my friend said we need to have wave-spotters with air horns positioned every 150 yards along the beach wink

The ones who went down and fought the wave were the most shook up. I saw people that just gave-in to the force of the water and flop over on their backs. They were laughing as they were swept up the beach.

#223586 - 12/29/03 07:27 PM Re: How Did You do on Razor Clams
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

SureCatch, Ironhead, anybody

I looked into the price for biulding some clam guns. it looks like my price will be a little over $20.00 for just materials and that is if Iget some from a friend who can get it from work as free left over scrap. I would have to get $50.00-$60.00 each to make it worth the time to make them for selling. Stainless Steel is not cheap !!!!!! nor is the stuff made from it eek

If anybody is still wanting a better clam gun then let me know. they would have a 5" x24" 18 gage SS tube with the rest from 3/4 SS pipe. ALL SS and welded. being 18 gage SS they would push into the sand really nice !!! and the larger diameter would help to not crush the clams.

like I said I will make them if I can sell them for $50.00+

e-mail or P.M. if you want one or more.

dc laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |