THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#224459 - 12/06/04 01:04 PM Re: Do sleds really hurt Steelhead bite?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I've caught more steelhead floating over them in my sled then I have my drift boat.Go figure!!!.The drift boat is quiet and the sled is noisy????.I love my sled and I love my drift boat.They both have there time and places.If I had to choose between one or the other for some reason. I'd go with my drift boat in a heart beat.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#224460 - 12/06/04 01:13 PM Re: Do sleds really hurt Steelhead bite?
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Allen3:
"rocking" pools, running over pools intentionally with the sled to stir fish up,, this is exactly why i hate fishing around other people..

Lots of guys rock the pools to get the chinook stirred up here on the Washougal, why??? because moving fish are easier to snag!!

If the fish aren't biting it's for a reason and you should leave them the hell alone!!!!
Your definately right, we end up snagging springers in the gut after rocking up or sledding up a hole. maybe were flossing them though, because well the line is in their mouth but the hook is usually so far buried that we can't see it. Astethically it may not be pleasing, but in certain cases it it works dang good. Its like saying that people floss sockeyes with a flyrod, there for flyfishing is flossing rolleyes .
best I can figure is that we should not even fish for salmon and steelhead as it may disturb them, and if you truly feel it necessary targeting the 1% that are sucide fish is the only ethical way to do it. evil

#224461 - 12/06/04 05:03 PM Re: Do sleds really hurt Steelhead bite?
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Why has it always got to be some external influence that turns the bite off? I fish all the time where there is no boat influence and the bite practically never lasts all day. Just last week on the river where I fish all the time, I fished from just light until 4 p.m. I had scattered bites until around 8 a.m., the the fish bit like crazy until 10 a.m., then they stopped cold. Changed what I was using two or three times - drifted, spooned, used spinners, covered the entire flats, but couldn't coax a bite. Then, about 2 p.m., it turned on again. No boats, no rocking the hole, just whatever light and temperature changes went on without me being able to discern. This happens often. The bite goes on, then the bite turns off. Why wouldn't this continue to hold true to a large extent if boats and other influences were present. I think whatever is going on in the water has more to do with it than what is going on on or around the water.

I see this happen again and again whether I'm the only person on the bank or one of several on the bank fishing the same water. If some external disturbance happened to coincide with the bite turning off, it would be easy to blame, but it happens all the time, even under ideal conditions.

#224462 - 12/06/04 05:57 PM Re: Do sleds really hurt Steelhead bite?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

My answer...it depends. I've caught fish that wouldn't bite until after being stirred up and had fish go off the bite after being stirred up. What sleds do that is known to be bad for fish is erode the banks. Sled goes by full blast the waves erode the banks and often times silt the holes. Anyone seen boat launches gouged out by sleds running up on the trailer? Every time they fire up on plane they are doing some damage to the river. Also, anything that can run in six or less inches of water at full throttle can't be all that great for the fish either. This is why they should be restricted to large rivers only imho. That said I too am a hypocrite and wouldn't turn down a free sled.

#224463 - 12/07/04 02:57 PM Re: Do sleds really hurt Steelhead bite?
Gary Johnson Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fall City, WA
While a sled will erode the banks to some extent, nature does more in one high water event than any amount of sleds ever will.

#224464 - 12/07/04 03:08 PM Re: Do sleds really hurt Steelhead bite?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Allen3:
why is it the sleds on the North Lewis catch all their fish early in the morning??
They do, huh? Wow.

Maybe next time, someone should inform Stlhdr1 and I of this.

Is there a "sarcastic" graemlins? I need to insert about 50 of them in here now.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |