Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#225580 - 12/31/03 04:35 PM chartreuse
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Does anyone have any idea what, if anything, the color chartreuse represents? Is there anything in the natural world (other than your kid's socks) that actually is this color, or close to it? confused

#225581 - 12/31/03 06:08 PM Re: chartreuse
papaslap Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
who knows what the fishies see? cool cool cool

#225582 - 12/31/03 06:50 PM Re: chartreuse
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont Know but it sure is strange. Pink Worms are strange steelhead food too eek

#225583 - 12/31/03 06:55 PM Re: chartreuse
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Maybe a chartreuse colored worm may be a killer color too! who knows laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#225584 - 12/31/03 07:44 PM Re: chartreuse
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Or a white worm???

#225585 - 12/31/03 08:30 PM Re: chartreuse
John B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: North
One factor is that chartreuse is a color that can be seen better than most all others underwater.

Because light travels slower in water than air, many of the other colors fade to brown or black.

#225586 - 12/31/03 08:50 PM Re: chartreuse
papaslap Offline
Spawner

I had a white worm once, luckly I got rid of it.

John, how do you know what light the fishies see?

#225587 - 12/31/03 11:23 PM Re: chartreuse
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

It might have an appearance of phosphorescence. Many things in the salt give off a phosphorescence glow.

#225588 - 12/31/03 11:36 PM Re: chartreuse
SciGuy Offline
Superstar in diapers

Loc: B.I.
It is supposed to look green underwater.

Put 'em back.

#225589 - 12/31/03 11:50 PM Re: chartreuse
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The treatise on what fish see and how light/colors behave underwater was written by Colin Kageyama, an Oregon optometrist, and available thru Amato publications. I just had a patient drop it by my office the other day... he thought it would be right up my alley.

He talked about a lot of common misconceptions that are repeated by fishermen everywhere, this board included. Still not done reading the book, but I think it's time to pick it up again... got a few hours before the New Year countdown tonight.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#225590 - 01/01/04 12:33 AM Re: chartreuse
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Colin Kageyama's book is called "What fish see". It'[s a very interesting read. Once you read it you will understand that most lure manufactuers make lures to catch fishermen. If a lure actually catches fish it's a bonus.

#225591 - 01/01/04 01:04 PM Re: chartreuse
John B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: North
Thumbs up on the Kageyama book! Ive been using his techniques for several yrs and bought his light filter. As far as I know this is the first and only definitive work on the topic.

Also Univ of Wisconsin has done research on what fish see.
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/textonly/lure.html

Does anyone else know of other research taking place on what fish see? thx -j

#225592 - 01/01/04 01:16 PM Re: chartreuse
FASTWATER Offline
Spawner

Loc: Place's you only dream about
don,t really care what they see as long as they see my shyt!!!PEACE!!!

#225593 - 01/01/04 02:15 PM Re: chartreuse
papaslap Offline
Spawner

Great little article John. Thanks now I know what the fishies see. eek enlightening smile smile

#225594 - 01/01/04 03:09 PM Re: chartreuse
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
Don't know if it's fact or not, I heard( saw chart too) on what colors fish see as sun comes up in morning and progresses through day. This chart says fish see green first thing in morning, and last before sun goes down. Now this does not mean they don't see green midday, just that some of the other colors become more distiguishable during concentrations of light intensities. It also suggested that fish may see green as green first thing, changing to red, then to black as light spectrum changes. I wouild be interested if this chart mentioned, was part of this study aforementioned.Thank you all for any more conrete evidence on this interesting topic.

#225595 - 01/01/04 03:58 PM Re: chartreuse
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#225596 - 01/01/04 05:36 PM Re: chartreuse
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by cowlitzfisherman:
The proper rule of thumb for choosing lure colors is "light lures for dark conditions and dark lures for bright conditions".
So what about the fly fishing saying of "bright day (sunny) bright fly, dark day (cloudy) dark fly?" That is the exact opposite of what you said but it has been working for hundreds of years (started in England for Atlantic Salmon and since steelhead are very much like Atlantic Salmon when it comes to flies, it has also worked for steelhead the past hundred years).

Another color that dose not represent anything really is purple. I know purple is not often used by gear fishermen but has been used in flies and is very effective.

#225597 - 01/01/04 06:42 PM Re: chartreuse
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Fishingjunky15

Did you get the chance to read what was posted at http://www.bigfishtackle.com/Articles/freshwater38.htm ?

Here are a just few quotes, if you didn't get to read it that may apply to "shallow water fly fishing" and flies. It should apply to most all "surface type fishing" techniques such as "fly fishing", because most fly's are fished on the surface or just shortly below.

"5. When fishing topwater lures, color is far less important than size, shape and action. A fish coming up below a surface or shallow running lure has the light behind it, making the lure appear grey or black. Try it for yourself - hold a fluorescent lure up to the sun and view it from below. Black and dark colors remain the best for surface lures because they throw a great silhouette."

"Time of day/year
I know it seems unlikely that your lure could appear to be a different color depending on the time of day or the month of the year, but it's a reality. To put the idea into a terrestrial context, think about how we see color on a clear day in the afternoon compared with a cloudy day at dusk. On a clear day with the sun overhead there are fewer gas molecules and airborne particles to scatter the short (blue) wavelengths, so the sky appears blue. Towards dusk the light travels through a lot more gas and airborne particles, so lots of the blue wavelengths get scattered and don't reach our eyes. Red and orange wavelengths eventually give way to indigos and violets as the sun sets. The many changing hues of the sky also change the color of other objects we see in the colored light."

"Other influences
Any ripple on the surface of a water body has the effect of increasing light scatter and hence reduces light penetration into the water. Pollution, both air and water, can also influence light penetration and hence the color that lures appear underwater"

"The aquatic environment not only emulates what happens above the waterline, but magnifies the effect. So the loss of blue wavelengths at each end of the day is much greater underwater and starts earlier in the day than it does above water. Remember that these are the ones that penetrate deepest, so the period over which colors are visible deep in the water are much shorter than they are at the surface."

"In a similar way the sun is more directly overhead so fewer of the short wavelengths get scattered and on land we tend to get brighter and more intense light (and the really short wavelengths get through, hence we get sunburnt!). In winter we get more subdued light, partly because the light travels a greater distance through the atmosphere and partly because clouds add water molecules to the atmosphere to further filter out light. This means that many wavelengths don't penetrate as deeply into the water during winter, so a lure travelling at a depth of 5m in winter could appear to be a different color than in summer, all other things being equal. This effect is much more pronounced the further you travel from the equator."

Personally, I think that all of those "beautiful fly colors" are mainly used for selling "flies", and the material to make them! Like they say, think what a fish sees when he is looking up from down beneath. Most likely, it is the shape, silhouette, and pattern and not "the color" that gets it's attention!

Anyways, that's how I look at it, and my wife thinks that I am only half fish! laugh

Others may look at it from "above" if they choose to, but most fish look at it (flies) from beneath!

Think like a fish! laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

#225598 - 01/01/04 07:15 PM Re: chartreuse
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
CFM: When flyfishing for salmon/steelhead the fly is usually fished as deep as possible to get the fly to pass infront on the fish. When practicing the wet fly swing, the fly is pulled sideways infront of the fish most of the time when the fish is along the bottom. I do realise that when dry fly fishing the color dose not matter as much but many trout flyfishermen could tell you that when trying to "match the hatch" color, and well size, is everything.

But kinda like you said, when flyfishing for steelhead the fly patter/color 70% of the time has more to do with pleasing the fisherman and not the fish.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |