THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#225996 - 01/03/04 09:06 PM Pips Leader Box Help?
Fish Hawg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodland , Wa
I have trouble with geting my pre-tied leaders out. They all tangle up and get kinks in the line. I only put 6-8 hooks in it with 3'max leaders. I have 4 brand new ones and one in my vest. I would hate to scrap them. Any Ideas Thanks....Ross

#225997 - 01/03/04 09:41 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#225998 - 01/03/04 09:44 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Orting
I know of alot of guys that hate these things, and I too have problems with them every now and then but i have found a "system" that works for me.

First of all you gotta take the thing apart. Then get a nice sharp razor and trim off anything that might hang up the line as you are trying to remove a leader. When you have gotten it "cleaned up", start loading it with leaders, just make certain the first leader you put in, is the last one you take out. I think that is the most important thing in keeping your leader dispenser tangle free.

If you would like, I can take some pics of the way I load and unload my leader dispenser.

#225999 - 01/03/04 09:47 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
GreenSauks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I agree with cowlitz, no more PIP's for me either!!
I use 4" pieces of pipe insulation, I can fit around a dozen leaders on one and they fit nicely in the vest.

#226000 - 01/03/04 09:51 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

Guess I just figured out a way that works for me. The only time I dont use them is when im in the boat. Its a good product if you know how to use it.

#226001 - 01/03/04 09:51 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I agree with rwgav8. You have to go in order when you take out the leaders. Also what I find that helps is when the leader gets caught, I work the line into the crak between the inside box and the out side box. Then I just go around the crack takjing the line out. Works for me and the line dose not get damaged when I do it.

#226002 - 01/03/04 09:57 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
Fish Hawg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodland , Wa
cowlitzfisherman, how do you keep them from unwraping?

And thanks to all for the helpful info and tips

#226003 - 01/03/04 10:03 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
floatandjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
I have had the same problem with Pip's leader dispensers. I personally dislike them! I put my leaders in small, clear 3 x 3 ziplock baggies. I then take these bags and put them in a clear quart sized ziplock storage bag. These are nice because they are see through, and float if you drop them in the river. If most of the air is squeezed out of the bags, they take up very little room in your vest, and are convenient because you can see the different rigs and pick out which ever color you want to use.

#226004 - 01/03/04 10:07 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
KingFisher

All you need to do is to make a 1/2 deep knife cut on both the top and the bottom. When you wrap the leader, start with the open end of your line. When you make the last wrap into the groove, it will be secured by putting your hook into the foam.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#226005 - 01/03/04 10:09 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

BTW, if you guys have any pips laying around that you dont want, send them my way!!!

#226006 - 01/03/04 10:45 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have never had a problem with them since I found a "system" to putting leaders in. I take the cover off, place my leaders in left to right, only placing the leader through the groove. I continue until its full of leaders, (still haven't wound them up yet). then I make sure all the leaders are sitting in the groove. I place the lid on, and wind them up all at once. This seems to do the trick. I have even puled them out of order and havent had a tangle up yet. Hope this makes sense.

#226007 - 01/03/04 10:48 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
BratBonker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell WA
Styrofoar rolls, the best way If you ask me. they dont come out, they dont get nicks, they come out easily when you want them to, they float and are only about 2 inches from top to bottom and wide and 1 foot long!

#226008 - 01/03/04 10:50 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#226009 - 01/03/04 11:06 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I like them....have three...two really, the neighbor kid has the other on a "loan". They have changed some since the first ones came out, they now have a ridged lid so you can turn the things...I had to take my knife and cut little notches all the way around the lid so I could get a grip on it. The cork inside is in need of replacement after many hundreds of hooks, but that's not a problem. I put three or four tie ups in at a time before twisting them in, but don't use as long a leader as I hear you talking about either. I have loaded mine numerous times with 25 single hook tie ups and never a tangle. But the first thing I did with each of mine was take it apart and sand the insides smooth....if it doesn't turn smoothly, you'll likely be fighting it forever.

I wouldn't use them if I wanted to have fully pre tied rigs though. I know guys who like to always have their swivels, bobbers, yarn, double hook tie ups pre tied....all use the pipe insulation trick. beer

#226010 - 01/03/04 11:31 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I prefer PIP's for bank fishing and the pipe insulation roll for the boat.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#226011 - 01/04/04 12:57 AM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Only problem that I've ever had with them has been a little "stickiness". I use a little WD 40 or a Silicon spray and they work fine.

#226012 - 01/04/04 02:04 AM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I LOVE pips. I never had a problem with them. But first, you have to turn them in with line tight. If they are loose, they will overlap. Then, don't pack in too many. Always start on one side and work your way to the other in an order (I normally to top to bottom at an angle). If you have the originals (I have about 7 of them, and about another 12 newer two models) they will turn the easiest actually. The ones with the sticker lids are normally "sticky". Problem is NOT the lower case. I found that if you grab a top off a new pips (the clear ones) they will turn quite easy. There is too much of a suction effect and lock up. But the old original smooth ones turn really easy. The second generation (with the slotted sides, but sticker tops) would stick. The newer ones are pretty smooth. I have only had an occasional problem with mine. Those were if I dropped them and some hooks popped up or someone borrowed a leader and grabbed from the middle of the pip.

But myself, if you want to get rid of any, I'll take them. I'm not shy. lol. I use all of mine, have different setups in them all. But have some of the very original ones. They are a white plastic with a raised letter lid. And quite a few different generation Pips. I've used the leader wheel and the styrafoam ones. Hell, even used a wetlock corrugated one (wetlock is the waxed cardboard for any laymen out there lol) and they worked fine. But I prefer Pips.

Northwest River Fisherman

#226013 - 01/04/04 05:11 AM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
I use pipe insulation and slide it down on to a piece of PVC pipe.

Them pips leader box thingy are to much money....
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#226014 - 01/04/04 10:11 AM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
It's funny you mention these PIPS. Last year I fished with Jigman and what did he pull out of his vest, you got it a pips. I had to laugh 'cause I hadn't seen anyone using one for years, I didn't even know they still made them. I started using a leader wallet made by XSTREAM that consists of several ziplocs sewed together with a velcro strip. This allows me to tie 36 leaders with corkies,aeroflys, yarn, and barrel swivel all kept neat and tangle free.

#226015 - 01/04/04 05:09 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
jon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: auburn, wa
PIPS worked great as long as th leaders are no longer than 30". If you go longer than 30 you will end with a mess. And in the day and age of long leaders , 36"and 48" plusl PIPS just won't work.

#226016 - 01/04/04 05:20 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I very happily use a couple of Pips. My leaders are never longer than 30" so they work just fine. I typically hold about 20 leaders on 1/0 hooks. Nice tidy package. I like 'em.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#226017 - 01/04/04 09:09 PM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Actually, you can use longer leaders in there. You have to make sure you load them under pressure and not load so many in there. You put too many and that extra line stacks up pretty fast. I do have a couple pips loaded with summerrun leaders (a bit longer) and they pull out just fine.

Northwest River Fisherman

#226018 - 01/05/04 01:10 AM Re: Pips Leader Box Help?
Stringer Offline
Parr

Cut your leaders, do not bite them and you will have less tangles. Still not perfect and neither is foam, cardboard, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1211 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |