THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 20 of 31 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#231725 - 02/12/04 02:33 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Theking:
Does not matter how the fish are killed in my opinion it needs to have shutdown limits to insure recovery.
take a look at the emgency regulation page on the WDFW website and scroll back to january febuary march. you will find many rivers that are closed due to low escapment and some that are extended because they exceeded escapement. It appears that those shutdown limits are in place.

#231726 - 02/12/04 02:39 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Does not matter how the fish are killed in my opinion it needs to have shutdown limits to insure recovery.
I'm pretty sure we already have that. Case in point: the Snohomish system. 4 years ago it was predicted that escapement would be much lower than the goal so the C&R fishery was closed.

Same with the Skagit system the first year.

#231727 - 02/12/04 02:41 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm way ahead of ya 4salt wink :p

#231728 - 02/12/04 03:02 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
I read those as hatchery regs. I am talking wild fish naturally spawning and removing 100% of the hatcheries. The commercials,tribes and the hatcheries all have to go in order for a recovery of wild stocks to take placce. I used to golf with the head of the BPAs fish enhancement program back in the 80's and 90's. A freind of my dads. He had a 100 million budget a year to increase fish numbers on BPA effected system back then. They knew this back in the early 1980's

#231729 - 02/12/04 03:16 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
I'm way ahead of ya 4salt
...in my best Dick Dastardly voice... "Drats! Foiled again!" laugh laugh

Forgot to eat my Wheaties this morning! banana

#231730 - 02/12/04 03:19 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
There are alot of things we don't understand or thought of with wild steelhead. Like this thought:
So the Quilliute system has more fish coming back than man's escapement numbers says the river needs ( why was nature so stupid to let more fish than needed come back) so we try to kill the "extra fish". In reality steelhead have a wandering factor somewhere around 15 to 20%,So maybe if a river system is over escaped (can that be?) the wandering fish help seed other rivers. So if you fish the steelhead down to rock bottom they don't seed other systems very effectively. what

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#231731 - 02/12/04 03:57 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Bruce,

I'm not suggesting that you should have known about this particular regulation and spoken out against it.

Your argument all along was that CnR fisheries kill fish, and you're going after them big time the last several days.

CnR fisheries have existed for the last 20 years, not just the last five days.

Your problem with the new regulation isn't really with the new regulation, it's with CnR fisheries that kill fish, unless I'm reading you wrong. CnR mortality seems to be the rack you're hanging your hat on in railing against this regulation.

My question is this: What have you been doing to express your distaste with CnR fishery mortality over the last 20 years that CnR fisheries have existed?

Why haven't you organized a group to lobby against CnR fisheries in the past?

Why are you now making the argument that CnR fisheries kill fish, when that problem has existed for 20 years?

It seems a bit disingenuous that you'd start doing it now, when the problem is an old one that you seem to have known about for a long time. This regulation doesn't make the problem you're having any better or any worse, but now you're arguing about your problem.

Whether you intend it or not, when you attack a regulation prohibiting the direct harvest of wild fish, citing a problem that existed long before the regulation that is not affected either way by the regulation, it looks like you are fighting to keep harvesting wild fish.

I don't know what your intent is, I don't have any reason to not believe you when you say you don't harvest native fish...I'm sure you don't.

What exactly is your problem with the new regulation, and how is it a different problem than the one you had two weeks ago, or two years ago, or ten years ago?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#231733 - 02/12/04 04:27 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn, WA USA
By Wayne Kruse
Outdoor Writer

The state Fish and Wildlife Commission's decision earlier this week to impose a two-year, statewide moratorium on the retention of wild-stock steelhead seems to have raised as many questions as it answered.

Beginning April 1, it will be against the law to keep a steelhead with an intact adipose fin anywhere in Washington. The ban runs for the next two years. The commission, a citizen oversight group appointed by the governor, also adopted specific rules for releasing, without boating, such fish.

Commissioner R.P. Van Gytenbeek of Seattle initiated the discussion about the release of wild steelhead by calling for a permanent ban on retention. That didn't fly with the rest of the commission, nor did a motion for a six-year moratorium. The two-year ban passed on a 5-3 vote.

"In this case, I think a half a loaf is better than no loaf at all," Van Gytenbeek said. "A lot of people in this state are concerned about the decline of our wild steelhead stocks and I think a moratorium gets us started down the right path."

Commission chairman Will Roehl of Bellingham did not share that view, noting that the Fish and Wildlife Department is working on a comprehensive steelhead management plan tailored to specific rivers and specific stocks.

"I can't support banning retention of wild steelhead on rivers where runs are healthy and returns are strong," Roehl said. "I don't think this broad-brush action is warranted."

Because wild-steelhead release has been in effect for years on the vast majority of state rivers, the new regulation won't have a widespread impact.

"There are only about a dozen rivers where a limited retention fishery for wild steelhead still exists," said state spokesman Craig Bartlett in Olympia, "and all those are on the Olympic Peninsula, except for the Green."

The most popular of those rivers include the Quillayute, Bogachiel, Sol Duc, Calawah, and Hoh, all near Forks, where a limit of one wild fish per day - with a maximum of five per year - has been in effect.

Bob Gooding, owner of Olympic Sporting Goods in Forks, said he can live with the situation either way.

"Personally, I haven't kept a wild steelhead for 10 years," he said. "On the other hand, I haven't heard any hard science behind the decision to close it. Will the commercials (tribal fishermen netting under treaty rights) go along? How does the state plan to enforce it? With one agent to cover deer, elk and fish in 2,200 square miles here?"

Said Bartlett: "As of (Tuesday), our people weren't entirely sure what the tribes would do, or what the law would say about the commercial aspect of the regulation change."

Everett resident, avid angler and president of the Everett Steelhead and Salmon Club Jim Brauch, said the impact locally won't be much.

"We've released wild steelhead on our local rivers for a long time, so it won't make any difference here," he said. "And I never kill a wild steelhead. But I wouldn't want to say to the guy next to me that he must release a fish that may be the biggest one he's landed in his life, or maybe the only one he's hooked that year, or is perhaps his son or daughter's first-ever steelhead."

Brauch said the blanket approach was a mistake, and that the state should be allowed to manage on a river-by-river basis.

"I don't think anyone has proven the catch-and-keep fishery on the Peninsula is having a negative impact on the strength of the wild runs," he said.

Major groups lobbying for the moratorium included the Federation of Fly Fishers, Trout Unlimited and the Wild Steelhead Coalition, Bartlett said.

"As for the science behind it," he said, "commissioner Russ Cahill (in Olympia) told me it was pretty much a matter of whose biologists you believed. Our (state) people told him that even on a down cycle in the natural flux of things, we're easily meeting our wild steelhead spawning escapement goals on those (Peninsula) rivers. Biologists for the proponent groups, on the other hand, told him the runs are declining, period. With no clear consensus, he said he was forced to vote conservatively for the resource."

Bartlett said that in two years the agency's new steelhead management plan should be finished, and that the divisive issue undoubtedly will be revisited.

#231734 - 02/12/04 04:29 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Aunty call me a lair all you want. The fact remains. You just can't stand the idea that it is true.

#231735 - 02/12/04 04:35 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

I've really taken offense to your accusation Aunty.

Show me!

http://www.gamefishin.com/wa/slide_show.htm

#231737 - 02/12/04 04:54 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

I won't even bother responding to your last post Aunty...

Last winter on the Skagit the predicted run size was 20% under the goal yet a C&R fishery was conducted.

#231739 - 02/12/04 05:13 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Jerry Garcia Offline

I read that article Bruce and to me it makes sense to have a moritorium.

Lonnie Gane

#231740 - 02/12/04 05:19 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Bruce, still waiting on these...

Quote:
Bruce,

I'm not suggesting that you should have known about this particular regulation and spoken out against it.

Your argument all along was that CnR fisheries kill fish, and you're going after them big time the last several days.

CnR fisheries have existed for the last 20 years, not just the last five days.

Your problem with the new regulation isn't really with the new regulation, it's with CnR fisheries that kill fish, unless I'm reading you wrong. CnR mortality seems to be the rack you're hanging your hat on in railing against this regulation.

My question is this: What have you been doing to express your distaste with CnR fishery mortality over the last 20 years that CnR fisheries have existed?

Why haven't you organized a group to lobby against CnR fisheries in the past?

Why are you now making the argument that CnR fisheries kill fish, when that problem has existed for 20 years?

It seems a bit disingenuous that you'd start doing it now, when the problem is an old one that you seem to have known about for a long time. This regulation doesn't make the problem you're having any better or any worse, but now you're arguing about your problem.

Whether you intend it or not, when you attack a regulation prohibiting the direct harvest of wild fish, citing a problem that existed long before the regulation that is not affected either way by the regulation, it looks like you are fighting to keep harvesting wild fish.

I don't know what your intent is, I don't have any reason to not believe you when you say you don't harvest native fish...I'm sure you don't.

What exactly is your problem with the new regulation, and how is it a different problem than the one you had two weeks ago, or two years ago, or ten years ago?
Thanks...

Todd

#231741 - 02/12/04 05:24 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

My problem is with the "Blanket Ban". I don't like it and I'm getting ready to go get me some wild smelt so you guys have fun while I'm gone, beside I wouldn't want to continue being unprofessional.

#231742 - 02/12/04 05:29 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

If your issue is with the blanket ban, then why are you calling CnR fishers killers, over and over, and over, again? What does that have to do with a blanket ban?

What would it take to convince you that a "blanket ban" is Ok?

Don't forget, first off, that we already have a blanket ban...the current regulations call for WSR statewide, year round. The few that remain open are exceptions to that blanket ban.

All the new reg did is remove the exceptions to the blanket ban.

I'll post some more scientific type graphs as soon as I can get my hands on electronic copies so you can see the undeniable trend in steelhead populations.

Have fun smelting...oughta be nice out in the sun today, it's supposed to be around 60 degrees and no clouds. I'm a bit jealous...

Fish on...

Todd

#231743 - 02/12/04 05:37 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Jerry Garcia Offline

The science that the WSC used in it's presentation came from WDFW. We used their own data, the data shows a longterm downward trend in wild steelhead numbers. My guess is that CNR will only be allowed on stocks that are deemed healthy. :p

Lonnie Gane

#231744 - 02/12/04 05:41 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Wow! Some discussion. Quite frankly i like to be kissed when i am bent over and Sr^&)*. IF letting the natives go was so overwelmingly productive, then why are there not more of them here in the Puget Sound area rivers.Mark my words, we will not be able to bonk a native again in our lifetime, and that is a shame........... Not because bonking a native is the ultimate goal, but at least one has the CHOICE, to take that first caught fish, trophy, or what have you.Also, now the tribes will see this as an opportunity to raise their allocation limits.We give and they shall gain. beathead

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#231746 - 02/12/04 05:49 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
KurtF Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
Careful Aunty, your real side is starting to show. mad

If you are going to insinuate that we're a bunch of "wild fish killers" over at Gamefishin, then I suggest you put up some facts. That was a pretty sh!tty thing to say.

#231747 - 02/12/04 05:53 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Kurt,

When Aunty put this " laugh " in her post, it means she is kidding.

Besides, I hear she's quite a pro at harvesting all those wild shrimp that the fish have to eat when they're out in the saltchuck... laugh laugh

Fish on...

Todd

#231748 - 02/12/04 06:01 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
KurtF Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
"I guess Todd never looked at Bruces slide shows on his board.

Note all the pics that have the tail section cropped out? Why would anybody do that...... unless...... OMG!

Murderers!"

Nope - Not a laugh in sight! I know what laugh means, Todd.

Page 20 of 31 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30 31 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bdscott, Skunked
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645466 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |