griz59 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: federal way
sure hope this isn't just another foot hold for the antis

#232980 - 02/23/04 01:10 AM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
GuerrillaFlyfishing Offline
Alevin

Loc: Moving to Washington
Matt....first of all don't show up and throw rocks and then run off because we throw some back!

Anyway, there is surmounting evidence fish don't feel pain. They are preditors and live in a wild environment...if they live to see another day they are ahead of the game...especialy when out to sea...maybe you should protest against the mean sharks!

Read this and gain a little common sense and I hope you stop listening to this anti-sports retoric you're following
http://www.cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm

#232981 - 02/23/04 04:19 AM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
And peta would argue that we are as fishermen are more likely to kill somebody or beat the crap out of them because of our cruel, cold, and selfish hobby.

Thats just sicking it makes me want to puke. I cant believe people enacted this law just so they can inflict more pain and suffering on the poor little fishy's. It must be like getting a tooth pulled without any painkillers. I dont think I could spawn for awhile after that! Let alone eat!

Even if it doesnt physically cause pain. Just think of the emotional damage! Imagine swimming 30 miles up a river and not seeing a single shrimp to eat then walla! a big juicy shrimp appears as if it was sent from God, Chomp chomp Hmmm that was good then rip! what the hell is happening? The poor fishy struggles against the pull only to be pulled back harder, all the other fish laugh and make fun as the poor fishy is out of control and helpless. Then the poor little fishy is pulled up on the bank naked and embarased , Shamed by his feebleness he knows now none of the hot hens will want anything to do with him after this! If that wasnt bad enough the air breathers blind the poor little fishy and jerk him back and forth through the water before finnally letting him go. Oh the trauma!,The horror. The poor little fishy dies alone with no hope of fulfilling his purpose in life.

This is a travesty. I appeal to you all. If you have any sense of caring about these special creatures lets ban together to overturn this terrible catch and release law! LOL's

#232982 - 02/23/04 03:04 PM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Nice ones Dan and Micro:

I witnessed a horrble situation yesterday at a Sub Shop in Minnesota. I was standing in line waiting to place my order, when I witnessed the person behind the counter picking up what appeared to be a very ripe tomato. I said to myself "Self, isn't that nice that she is going to pick up that tomato and spend a little time to talk to it, fondle it lovingly, and tell it that it is loved". Much to my suprise, she instantly wielded a razor sharp knife in her off hand.

Within seconds, the expression on her face changed to one of discontent. She immediately dropped this loving veggie on to the counter top and drug the steely blade through it's torso. Upon being eviscerated the tomato lay motionless on the wooden counter with the contents of its reproductive organs spewing on to the counter top for all to see. It's life blood pouring on to the counter top. I was sickened to see all the helpless embryos hanging on to their last seconds of life. The total potential of these un fulfilled lives weakened my knees. Could this horrible scenario be played out each day with other victims such as cucumbers, olives, kiwis, mango, papaya, strawberries, and daikon radishes. I shudder to think about it. I instantly shrouded the eyes of my four children, as I knew this was much too horrific for their young minds to comprehend. It hurt me so bad that I turned to the lady and said, "Cripes almighty, stop this senseless slaughter, and give me an all Atkins Sammy piled high with cheese, ham and turkey. I could not participate in the mutilation of these docile, fun loving veggies.

I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat veggies. Like my buddy says "Theres room for all of gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes". Peace

#232983 - 02/25/04 12:09 AM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
Louis F. Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I myself am not a WA Angler, but i feel that the wild steehead moritorium is the way to go. Any time you can protect a fish so it will reproduce naturally you got my vote beer Hatchery fish..and even better broodstock fish are the answer to a strong native stock....I don't believe that in OR the native stock will ever be strong enough to allow a harvest but they are getting those feisty broodstock numbers up so we can get a "taste" of what it's like. wink

Love them and let'em go !

Louis

#232984 - 02/25/04 12:39 AM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
Full Freezer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Bottom line?

Change sucks sometimes. Having said that, I will gladly travel 4 hours to catch and release nates. If I catch a big one, I might be tempted to take an illegal photo. Hope no one is looking. Gosh, I may even speed several miles over the limit on the way home.

Does a wild steelhead taste different than hatchery bred? If it does, then add more seasoning.

#232986 - 02/25/04 09:40 PM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
hawk Offline
Spawner

Grain Belt Premium in Bottles. Oh Yeah Baby. A nice step up from Shmid Beer.

#232988 - 02/26/04 07:33 AM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
hawk Offline
Spawner

Austin is miles west of Rochester, and about 90 minutes south of Minneapolis. Basicalyy 4.5 hours form the North Shore steelies, 5.5 hours form Wisconsin steelies, 6.5 hours form Indiana Steelies, and 10 hours form Michigan steelies. Kind of centrally located int he middle of nothing. Only county in the state without a natural lake.

#232989 - 02/26/04 02:50 PM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Last December I went to the Commission meeting in PT. My support was voiced for the the proposed WSR regulations. smile

#232990 - 03/01/04 05:52 PM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I'm going to unfeature the topic, but at 75% I don't think that people that support WSR are elitist or special interest. It would appear to be that groups supporting wild steelhead kill are special interest and elitist. confused

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#232991 - 03/02/04 08:33 AM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington

#232993 - 03/02/04 09:05 AM Re: For or against the wild steelhead moritorium
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Internet: www.dfw.state.or.us Fax: (503) 947-6009

For Immediate Release Monday, March 01, 2004

First commercial spring chinook fishery to occur Tuesday on the
Columbia River

CLACKAMAS - The states of Washington and Oregon working as the Columbia
River Compact today authorized a 16-hour commercial gillnet fishery for
Tuesday in the lower Columbia River for hatchery-bred spring chinook. The fish caught by commercial boats in this fishery are prized for their flavor and will soon be found in local restaurants offering fresh local seafood and specialty markets. Spring chinook provide tremendous economic benefit to both the commercial and sport-fishing industries because of its high quality and because it is the first fresh non-farmed salmon of the season.

The commercial fishery will begin at 5 a.m. and conclude at 9 p.m. on Tuesday, March 2, from the mouth upstream to Kelley Point, which near the mouth of the Willamette River. Another 16-hour fishery may occur Thursday, March 4, depending on the results of tomorrow's fishery. A decision will be made at 1 p.m., Wednesday.
Commercial fishermen must use gillnets that have mesh openings no smaller than 9 inches and no larger than 9.75 inches to lessen the
chance that steelhead will be caught in them. Nets may not be in the
water longer than 45 minutes before being brought in the boat for fish removal. All fish that are not adipose fin-clipped spring chinook must be released. Boats must have a recovery box on board to revive all lethargic or bleeding wild salmon or steelhead before being returned to the water.
Fish biologists from the Oregon and Washington departments of fish and wildlife predict the total run of Columbia River spring chinook will be the second-highest since 1938, when counting began. About 500,000 wild and hatchery spring chinook are forecast to enter the Columbia River in 2004. Of the total run, 70-80 percent are marked by a missing adipose fin to designate them as "keepers." Biologists estimate a total mainstem harvest of about 50,000 hatchery-bred spring chinook, split between sport anglers and the commercial fishing industry.

Fish managers set the Columbia River spring chinook fishery based on the number of fish expected to return from the ocean and the allowable impact to wild salmon and steelhead stocks listed under the federal Endangered Species Act. "Impacts" are the unintended mortalities associated with handling and releasing wild fish. The allowed non-Indian impacts are 2 percent of the total runs of ESA-listed Snake River spring chinook, Upper Columbia River spring chinook, and Columbia Basin winter steelhead.

The total 2 percent allowable impact is split 1.2 percent to the sport
fisheries and 0.8 percent to the commercial fishers for the 2004-2005 fisheries.
Sport angling will continue during the commercial fishery.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |