Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#235333 - 03/01/04 01:33 PM Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
My fishing partner is looking to buy his first sled. His two choices right now are the Alumaweld Stryker and Thunder Jet Envoy. Both are 19' and are powered with the Sportjet.
He figures either of these would be a good multi purpose boat (hunting and fishing). The boat won't be used to side drift.
Does anyone have experience with either of these boats and how do you rate the Sportjet compared to the other engine options?
Thanks in advance for any response.
Dave

#235334 - 03/01/04 01:42 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Two more questions. Are the sportsmans show prices the best of the year and what kind of room do these manufacturers have that you can dicker with prices?

Thanks again.

#235336 - 03/01/04 02:49 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
JRfishing Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek
I agree with Aunty, Three Rivers is a great, the only, place to do business with for boats. You will not be sorry. It is along road to get warranty work done in Idaho.

#235337 - 03/01/04 03:30 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
I have to agree about Alumaweld...I have really enjoyed my 19ft Stryker with the Sportjet. One of my buddies has a Duckworth and the other has a Thunderjet. They are both happy with theirs. If you want a river/salt/lake boat, they are the best all around type to get.

It really comes down to what is the best deal you can get. I saw some really excellent deals on a Thunderjet at the show. It was 19ft and fully equipped with everything but the kicker for around 19,000. Little things like stern rails for mounting pole holders and downriggers can be a consideration. I like the seating to be two captains chairs in the front and two bench seats with storage underneath and facing each other..So..to answer your question, it pays to look around and really consider what the best set up would be for the type of fishing you enjoy. I will say that buying that boat was one of the best things I ever spent money on. you're buddy won't regret buying either, in my opinion. FYI- I fish rivers and Seiku and it handled the big water just fine. My buddy took his 18ft Thunderjet across the bar and went out into the ocean (on a good day) and it handled it fine. beer

#235338 - 03/01/04 03:54 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
I think both are good boats. Personally, I'd prefer the Thunderjet if given those two choices. The engines are obviously the same, so it comes down to the hull and other components. I like the design/features of the Thunderjet hull more.

Sportjets are good for lighter boats and have a very good power to weight ratio. They are a two stroke so they inject oil They aren't as fuel efficient or as powerful as a V-8. They are very similar to an outboard except you have no way to trim the boat. Outboards have more fishable room and the four-stroke outboards are probably near the top in cost for power.

Mercury makes a stomp grate for sportjets. I think that would be a worthwhile investment no matter which boat your friend buys. It's possible that you'll get a lemon boat with a bad hull, but I think the chance is slim. The power for either boat is the same and is common. Most of the local dealers should be able to take care of any mechanical issue.

#235339 - 03/01/04 04:50 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
BNelson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Woodinville
If comparing boat to boat. Then take a look at design and construction. Alumaweld uses full length box girders, 100% full length welds no skip welds. Extrusion construction, which is VERY expensive and very strong. A lot more man hours goes into welding an Alumaweld hull versus the competition. All Alumaweld parts are preformed and put together "stress free" . So the boat has no tension on the welds. All our bottoms are one piece. Again this costs more but is very strong and makes for a true and very consistent product.

Also as was pointed out take into consideration where the dealer is and how do you get warranty work? Alumaweld allows their dealer network to handle your warranty issues. I do not believe thunderjet does? Not saying you are going to have problems, but boats are machines and things do happen...

Also Alumaweld does offer some great "Boat Show" incentives.. Jan 1 - March 15th If purchased in that time frame saves you some $.

If you have any questions please feel free to email or stop bye the store if you have some time and we will go into more detail.

Bryan
3 Rivers

#235341 - 03/01/04 05:22 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for all the replies. The Thunderjet he saw at the show had many more options and was priced quite a bit lower than the Stryker. The Thunder Jet weighs a couple hundred more pounds and I'm wondering if that is an issue.
There are some reasons why neither of us have wanted to spend even a penny at 3 Rivers but maybe it's time to leave that in the past.
I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before he sits down with a salesman from either company so any info is greatly appreciated.
Again, thanks for all the responses.

#235342 - 03/01/04 07:46 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Sport jet.. the outboard thats "inside" your boat.. what a concept. Add a really poorly designed pump, then make it a two stroke so it will guzzel some gas and presto... You have a piece of junk.

#235343 - 03/01/04 07:58 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
Hockana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Don't forget to go talk to Wooldridge boats in seattle, look at the sport 2000, which is the comparable boat in price only but is a much better built boat. As for your question if you had to choose between the Envoy and the Stryker if you really look at the two boats side by side I feel they don't compare you will get much more boat out of the Thunderjet. So do really look at the boats closely and ask alot of questions then make your decision. I looked over all the boats at the show and found that the Thunderjet was the best buy their. IMHOP

#235344 - 03/01/04 08:38 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
steelheaddude Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Here ya go laugh Click on that --> Wooldridge

#235345 - 03/02/04 12:48 AM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Sportjet=Junk?????? confused

#235346 - 03/02/04 02:58 AM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
Adipose Soup Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Richland, WA
2 things: 1st, ditto on the Wooldridge comments. Best-built boat IMHO.

2nd: If you're already sold on a TJ or AW with SportJet and the TJ weighs hundreds of pounds more, buy the Alumaweld. That 6 cylinder engine will bog down a lot quicker if the hull itself already weighs more.

Just my $.02

#235347 - 03/02/04 08:44 AM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
I think if Alumaweld and Three Rivers can make AuntyM happy the case is closed.

#235349 - 03/02/04 10:08 AM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
"All our bottoms are one piece."

Is that possible? I thought you couldn't get aluminum sheets any wider than 72".

Just curious...

#235350 - 03/02/04 10:49 AM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
steelheaddude Offline
Juvenille at Sea

All the new boats are nice, It's all in what catches your eye and customer service. 3 river's has alot of happy customers and that says alot, Plus they are local. and when your buying a NEW boat that's a big deal, They all have to go back for some stupid little thing or add on's..

#235351 - 03/02/04 03:41 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
Hockana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

The Thunderjet is heavier, because it is built much better. Once again do a side by side comparison.You do the math.For an all around boat the Styker comes in last in my book I would also be looking at the Willie Predater. I also would shy away from the Sportjet in any boat you do decide on. Ask the dealers if they own or would own a SJ most not all but most would not.

#235352 - 03/02/04 03:42 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
Hockana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

How's the resale value on the Stryker these days. nough said

#235353 - 03/02/04 04:47 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
Fishtales Offline
Smolt

Loc: Monroe
Personal experience tells me to steer you towards ANYTHING but a Thunderjet. If you can get them to own up to a problem, good luck ever getting it fixed.
Hope this helps!!

#235354 - 03/02/04 08:14 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
JRfishing Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek

#235355 - 03/02/04 09:04 PM Re: Thunder Jet or Alumaweld
Led Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Key Peninsula
You say that your "friend" has only two choices right now beer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (No More Ice Fishin), 1180 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |