Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#236337 - 03/10/04 10:56 AM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Quote:
HUNTER: as the newest member on the Commission I’m being flooded with science and being lobbied, whether it’s a stack of postcards for one position, or personally lobbied, or phone calls.
:D

Quote:
HUNTER: as the newest member on the Commission I’m being flooded with science and being lobbied, whether it’s a stack of postcards for one position, or personally lobbied, or phone calls.
:D

Can you hear us now? \:D

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#236339 - 03/10/04 11:27 AM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Aunty

Quote:
So far.... no evidence that the WSC has done anything wrong, yet innuendos and accusations of wrongdoing abound.
You’re the only one that is saying that! \:D

You may THINK that you are doing them a good thing, but maybe it time that you seek out help. You need to step back and take a deep breath before you start accusing others of issues that only you are saying. You're doing a big discredit to the work that WSC has done on other issues. Think about for a while!

You can only yell "woof" so many times before people stop listing. How many more times are you going to yell before you learn?

Cowlitzfisherman

#236340 - 03/10/04 11:36 AM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn, WA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cowlitzfisherman:
Aunty

Quote:
So far.... no evidence that the WSC has done anything wrong, yet innuendos and accusations of wrongdoing abound.
You’re the only one that is saying that! \:D

Cowlitzfisherman
Thats exactly what I was thinking, I don't think anyone has said that WSC did anything wrong/illegal. I think the focus has been on what the commission did. I may not agree with WSC and the events that took place but did they do anything wrong or illegal? I don't think so.

#236341 - 03/10/04 11:41 AM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Quote:
Originally posted by AuntyM:
One has to wonder WHY now?

... yet innuendos and accusations of wrongdoing abound.
Gadflys. :rolleyes: \:\(

#236343 - 03/10/04 12:08 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I'm closing this and the other thread for a couple of hours till I get back from some business----- seems it needs some baby sitting

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#236344 - 03/10/04 03:20 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Thanks for finding the key Jerry \:D

#236345 - 03/10/04 05:14 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Between 2 Mountains
Wow getten a little rough in here ????

#236346 - 03/10/04 07:56 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood
Eddie
I was reading another board, and I read your comments there. Do really
believe what you said when you wrote:
Quote:
"Zen, that backroom deal knife can cut two ways - One could make
the arguement (I'm speaking rhetorically here, don't necessarily believe
this to be true) that the Dept. did a "backroom deal" to not forward
this on to the Commission for debate. After all, it was the single most
requested rules change in this cycle.
I've read the transcript - I'll bet you have as well. It is fascinating
in that the Commissioners brought up virtually every one of the points
that have been debated on the various boards with this issue. Certainly
Commissioner Ozment (sp?) was very concerned over the public perception
of enacting the moratorium at the Feb. 6th meeting with no further
public input. Once again, I would like to understand why WDFW chose not
to forward it on to the Commission for their debate. I've read their
reason and maybe because I really want WSR - I'm blind to their logic,
but, for the life of me I can't understand what logic they used in not
forwarding it on. If they had forwarded it to the Commission, there
still would have been no public debate or input on the issue - the
Commission had very clearly stated that they had no intention of taking
further testimony on ANY of the Rules changes they were deciding on.
One item that no one has seen fit to comment on - I still believe that
there was some motivation on the Commission's part to put WDFW "in their
place" after the Region 5 request regarding increased mortality of ESA
listed stocks in the Springer fishery. That motivation alone may have
caused one Commissioner to cast their vote for the moratorium regardless
of the concerns that some on the Commission had. It is quite unusual in
public bodies to have the level of disagreement present and such a close
vote on the matter before them. Most of the time, these boards and
Commissions get together beforehand, make their horse trades, call each
other names, etc. out of sight of the public and the public record.
That kind of backroom deal is SOP at every level of Government (and Big
Business for that matter) that I have seen.
We will see where this all leads. My hope is that it would lead to:

1. A better situation for Wild Steelhead and Salmon
2. More unity among Sports Fishers
3. Less personal attacks and cross board name calling

But, heck, I'm in sales, I have to be optimistic"

and "… I will not (wouldn't be prudent) be dragged into a discussion of
who did what to whom first and who should be blamed/banned because of
it. Marsha is a strong willed woman who I have disagreed with in the
past and agreed with in the past. So it goes.

I'm just glad that I am not a moderator faced with making the decision.
I already have a couple of kids that sometimes do things that don't make
sense. I don't need a couple thousand more" ?
Eddie, you’re a member of WSC, is this really how you and other members
feel about the Commissioners?
Quote:
Most of the time, these boards and Commissions get together
beforehand, make their horse trades, call each other names, etc. out of
sight of the public and the public record. That kind of backroom deal
is SOP at every level of Government (and Big Business for that matter)
that I have seen.
If I was a Commissioner, Eddie I would not be a happy Camper.

#236347 - 03/10/04 08:32 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I just looked at my WSC membership list (dated 8/13/03) and could not find Eddies name on it. Maybe you have an updated list hairlip? Or perhaps just trying to spread a little more of that stinky stuff around.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#236348 - 03/10/04 08:59 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Gosh Jerry, this was Eddies reply to me,
Quote:
"Hairlip, The WSC has nothing to hide nor does it have concearns to"back pedal". You can go to the website and look over our action/business plan and our mission statement is simply who we are. We do need to update our officers, trustees and reps link as well as a few others, but that's what happens with free help =). \:\)

At least I only talk from one side of my mouth Jerry. The WSC site doesnt give that info out I guess.

#236349 - 03/10/04 09:21 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Hairlipangler, a wise lawyer once said, "Never ask a question that you don't know the answer to." It goes double when trying to state a fact. I am not a member of WSC, not now, not ever. The quote that you attribute to me is not me, I believe it might be Todd or Jerry, both members of WSC. I must say however, that I feel flattered to be associated with that fine group - at least in your mind. If I were a member of any sportfishing/conservation group it would probably be WSC. From everything that I know about the WSC and their stance on the issues, I agree with them far more than I disagree. The folks that I have met from WSC are good fishermen and even better stewards for the resource.

Now, in regards to your other assertions. I stand by what I say being Standard Operating Procedure for every Board, Commission, Council, etc. that I have personally seen. It is naive to assume that all of their work is done in front of the public. Backroom politics is SOP - I have not been privvy to the Fish & Wildlife Commission's inner workings, but if you read the transcript, it is obvious that the Commission knew that this moratorium issue was going to be introduced. How did they know that if they had not had conversations beforehand? I certainly do not see this as a bad thing, or an unethical thing - it is just reality. If any of the Commissioners are offended by what I say, I'm sorry, that was not my intention.

Now, the question for you Hairlipangler is what are your ethics? Will you stand up and admit that you are wrong (about my WSC membership and the posting above) or will you do something else? The choice is yours.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#236350 - 03/10/04 09:22 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Hairlip,

I think if you were to look a little closer you'd find that that post was posted by Rich Simms (WSC member and President) and NOT Eddie (not a WSC member). I think I remember Rich posting that, at least.

I know it's fun for all you guys to be looking for conspiracies under every rock to blame everything that you don't like on, but there isn't anything to find here.

I think the made up conspiracies have gone far enough...

And this doesn't mean "the heat is too hot" or some other crap like that...it means that there is no conspiracy of back room political deals involving the WSC, PETA, and the Taliban to steal all your fishing rights.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#236351 - 03/10/04 09:26 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:

AACK!!! It's a conspiracy. I need some of Grandpa's foil (where is Grandpa anyway?) Bruce, here's a response from Double Haul in another thread that may have missed your notice. I think it clears up some of the questions that you are asking.

Hairlip, The WSC has nothing to hide nor does it have concearns to"back pedal". You can go to the website and look over our action/business plan and our mission statement is simply who we are. We do need to update our officers, trustees and reps link as well as a few others, but that's what happens with free help =).

Bob is our Regional Rep for the West Oly Pen area.

I must of missed the inquiry for membership numbers, The WSC has approximately 150 members and many supporters, hence a Coalition. Our membership cuts across the cloth of steelhead fishers and is very diverse geographically. I believe the strength of the organization is it is an educational/learning organization that works very hard to uderstand the issues that are affecting wild steelhead. Also, for the record again, We are not anti-hatchery, but we believe in hatchery reform.

What's interesting, in light of the Forks topic, in the composition part of our mission statement it reads-
"The WSC is comprised of concerned citizens determined to reverse the factors that have negatively impacted wild steelhead, and in so doing, restore healthy and viable populations of wild steelhead to the Pacific Northwest. In so doing, wild salmon and other salmonids will also benefit. The WSC represents conservationists, recreational fishermen, businesses that depend upon wild steelhead for their livelihoods, and citizens who seek to preserve the future of the Pacific Northwest's greatest resource."

I am one of the founding board members and was the VP of Membership, now I am the President of the organization. If you are interested in becoming a member, send me an address and I will be happy to send you a membership packet. I can also email you the recent online version of the adipose (our newsletter) if your intersted.

We also host the bi-annual Steelhead Summits where diverse groups are working together on Pacific NW Steelhead issues. We are not just a WSR organization.

I am one of the few who update the website and the only thing that has been added recently is the WSC Wild Steelhead Facts Sheet, nothing else has been deleted as far as I know.

The Forks fish in disclaimer was to simply clairify to readers that the WSC is not organizing the fish in, but I am sure there will be a few members or supporters there to show support for the Forks community.

[ 03-05-2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Double Haul ]
--------------------
Sincerely,
Rich
http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com/

" Will we allow ourselves to be foresightful & preserve the healthy wild steelhead runs now by applying fishing methods that can help preserve future fishing opportunities?"
--------------------
"You're not a g*dda*n looney Martini, you're a fisherman"

Sorry Eddie, you didnt use quotes and I misread the post. My bad.

#236352 - 03/10/04 09:32 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
eddie Offline
Carcass

No problem Hairlip, thank you for being a stand up guy. I will try and remember those pesky quote marks in the future. \:\)

#236353 - 03/10/04 09:35 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Now that was a reasonable mistake, and a reasonable reply ]

#236354 - 03/10/04 10:08 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Eddie....as a fellow peddler you should appreciate the value of backroom deals and persuasion. I find that a fishing trip with a congressman is a valuable backroom tactic. Maybe some face time with the commissioners is what it takes to get something pushed forward. If the WSC had the persistence to pull off a persuasive argument and it resulted in a decision they were pushing for then I saw "BRAVO"...good job of selling.

Remember what Alec Baldwin said in the great classic (for sales people) Glengarry Glen Ross:

"Second place gets the steak knives" So true.

#236355 - 03/10/04 10:28 PM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
eddie Offline
Carcass

Grandpa - true words from a professional. It always made me wonder (until I got involved) how all of these big controversies get voted on in a unanimous fashion.

#236356 - 03/11/04 10:20 AM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

City officials meet with WDFW board members
Posted on Tuesday 09 March @ 11:09:45

by George McCormick
On March 3, Forks city officials met in Olympia with fours members of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Commission.
No action was taken at the meeting, but Forks Mayor Nedra Reed felt some progress had been made. They invited us to petition the commission for reconsideration of a two-year ban on the retention of wild steelhead due to take effect April 1.

Reed was accompanied by City Attorney/Planner Rod Fleck and City Clerk Dan Leinan.
The Forks group asked the commission to give them the opportunity to have input in the decision. We also asked to have the best available science made available to us, Reed said.

The Forks contingent asked for the meeting because they contended the process for making the decision was flawed. The wild steelhead issue was not on the agenda two months ago, Reed said. It was raised during the commission meeting and we didn’t have an opportunity to address the issue.

The Forks group wasn’t there to protest the decision itself, but the process by which it was arrived at. The Forks Chamber of Commerce and West End Business and Professional Association joined in sending a letter to the commission in support of the city’s efforts.

Saying the organizations are proud promoters of the healthy runs of salmon and steelhead in our Olympic Peninsula rivers. Our community welcomes fisherfolk to enjoy our rivers and make their cast for sport or for food and perhaps a trophy. We feel the manner in which the commission made its decision failed to allow for public input or comment …

We also feel that the public … should have the opportunity to read and study the scientific data upon which the commission’s decision was based, the letter said. We would expect the data to be specific to rivers and not general to the state as a whole. We have not seen such scientific data; but believe that a decision of this magnitude must have a scientific basis … the commission’s decision does not take into account the successful steelhead enhancement program at Snider Creek on the Sol Duc River that makes use of wild brood stock.

The Quileute Tribe also sent a letter to the commission supporting the city’s view and saying that as co-managers of the Quillayute River System, they were not included in the decision-making process.

The tribe’s science finds healthy wild runs on the rivers, Reed said. I believe they are good stewards of their resources.
The city is expected to avail itself of whatever legal process is available to them to set the decision aside, according to Fleck.

#236357 - 03/11/04 11:34 AM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
So Ms. Reed thinks the Quilayute tribe is a good steward of the salmon and steelhead, huh? Must have been that low-water salmon netting that convinced her.

OK, I'm done taking anything she says seriously.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#236358 - 03/11/04 11:56 AM Re: The "real facts" about the Feb. 6 Commission
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Hey Dan

Not taking any sides on that issue, but didn't the tribes stop their netting during that low water condition, even though they were legally entitled to continue? I don't remember all the details that were posted on our board when that went on, but I thought that I remember that after some protest by Bob and a few others, the netting stopped and the fish were allowed to pass.

If that was the case, then they really wouldn't be bad stewards anymore then our Commissioners are. According to all that's been said, our own commission has allowed a fishery to continue on week stocks that are week and heading downward. So what's the difference between our own Commission and the tribes when it comes to being "good stewards"? If we do it, it's ok, if they do, it not?

Can you see the hypocrisy?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 965 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |