THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#240727 - 04/26/04 11:49 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
JG,

Don't bother with the WSR/CNR distinction with boater...he knows the difference...he's just being difficult.

I wouldn't worry about it...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#240728 - 04/27/04 05:44 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

Quote:

We'll never be rid of human stupidity, but we increasingly disallow its public expression.
Have to agree that we will never be rid of human stupididty.. But is seems that we embrase it's public expression these days...

So if one out of 5 released fish die. what is the difference in catching two fish knocking them dead and heading on your merry way. Or catching 10 fish and releasing them all having two die? Maybe it should be that you are not allowed to release any fish! Keep what you catch period. and set the limits accordingly...

#240729 - 04/27/04 07:10 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
So Rivershrk---- where did you come up with the 20% mortality rate?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#240730 - 04/28/04 01:29 AM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

Sorry JG,

1 out of every 20 fish.... ;\)

So I catch two bonk em and go home or catch 40 fish and two die.. Now I know by reading here that 40 fish days are all too common..

The point being is not everyone is going to catch 2 fish everytime out. However the ones that are going to catch 2 fish are most likely the ones to catch the 20 fish in a day.

Limit the take to one fish.. You catch it you go home for the day.. One fish caught and dead.. Seems to take allot of the guess work out of it. Anglers report the catch on the catch card and that is that.

#240731 - 04/28/04 01:47 AM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Shark. What about those anglers that don't wish to eat a fish. Are you suggesting that they waste them?

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#240732 - 04/28/04 11:47 AM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Once again, a fisher argues that the best deal is to minimize fishing. Let's just say I'm happier catching 40 than 2. And if the net result is the same, how can you say you're NOT better off catching 40 fish and eating Hungry Man dinners?

For the love of Pete..........what's wrong with you'se guys? ;\) \:D

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#240733 - 04/28/04 01:09 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

Bob,

Why kill a fish if you do not wish to eat it?
My granddad and pops taught me you kill it you grill it otherwise you are a waste!

But Actually Bob I do believe there is a balance and a state wide ban on native fish is not the balance.

Dan
Quote:

how can you say you're NOT better off catching 40 fish and eating Hungry Man dinners?
Why should I give up what I love eating for your pleasure?

#240734 - 04/28/04 01:18 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

You like eating fish better than fishing?

Ok, I guess........I just don't understand.

I've heard others express the same opinion........I just can't fathom it myself. I can't think of anything I'd rather eat instead of fishing..........well, maybe something. ;\)

#240735 - 04/28/04 02:01 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

Dan the only reason I fish is to eat them!! Understand that the pursuit of food and the setting of the table is the ultimate reward.

The chase gives the saticfaction to know that all the work put forth into fooling the fish that I am about to eat has paid off. The ablility to wake up in the morning and the ability to be able to still use my own body and strength to pursue food is what makes it great. I love the outdoors too much to not pursue them. Same falls true for the hunt.

#240736 - 04/28/04 02:14 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Dan S. Offline

I understand.

I'd still give up a fish dinner for an extra couple days' fishing though.

#240737 - 04/28/04 02:36 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

That is great.. But I am not willing to give up my dinner for your pleasure... ;\)

#240738 - 04/28/04 02:46 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Dan S. Offline

But you think I should give up days worth of fishing for yours?

Oh.......I see.

#240739 - 04/28/04 03:00 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

Nope I did not say that either.. I mearly pointed out that there is more than one way to skin a fish.. ;\) ..

As I said there is a balance..

There are many ways to keep it balanced. However our so beloved commission decides all to often to lean to extremes. Mostly because there are a bunch of whiners beating them down all day screaming extreme measures are needed we have to do this.. Blaaa blaaa blaaaa... Orgs that take measures the same way PETA or other anti orgs use.. It is pretty clear to see..

I am very reasonable and have no problem releasing a wild fish if SCIENCE can prove that it will save the resource.
So how about a system where you are allowed to catch and release up to 20 fish in a given day and I am allowed to Catch and keep one?? ;\) You have to record all fish caught and released and I have to record all my keeps..

#240740 - 04/28/04 03:12 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Jerry Garcia Offline

The way the stocks of wild fish are going downhill the day will come when you won't be able to keep a wild fish if the harvest numbers stay where they are today. That's a fact.

Lonnie Gane

#240741 - 04/28/04 03:19 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

What harvest number Anglers or NETS? Do harvest numbers account for the 1 in 20 fish that die from C&R? NOPE no way to track that cuz they are not recorded... Jerry the numbers for harvest do not take allot of other things into concideration that need to be. It is not just harvest that is declining the population. It is many eliments... That is fact!

#240742 - 04/28/04 03:35 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Dan S. Offline

I get ya.......and I wouldn't be opposed to a reg setting a limit on the number you can hook and release, either. But it would be very difficult to enforce. Without anything for a gamey to look at, how could this count be confirmed?

#240743 - 04/28/04 03:38 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

Yup Dan I agree enforcement is and always will be an issue. However the folks that are going to buck the system are going to buck it no matter what the laws are..

#240744 - 04/28/04 04:51 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Jerry Garcia Offline

Wdfw does include hooking mortality in their numbers(not harvest numbers) when they figure total run size and escapement etc.
Can't do anything about the nets without an act of congress--- so that argument is senseless. So your telling me that you think that fisherman (maybe you) from Seattle will drive to the Forks area and catch a fish in the first 5 minutes (have to bonk the first one) and start their drive home and be happy with their experience.

Lonnie Gane

#240745 - 04/28/04 05:45 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
RiverShrk Offline
Parr

And just how does the wdfw track that hooking mortality rate? There is no method to track it is there?

As far as the truck to the coast.. I have already stated that there is more than one way to skin a fish.. If 1 fish dies out of ever 20 caught. Then why not make the catch and release limit 20 and the catch and keep limit 1? Those who want the meat can have it and those who want the experience can have it. Both being limited eaqual..
Make it manditory to mark down every fish caught and released..

Yes enforcement is an issue but It is an issue with every game regulation. Beings that everyone here is a law obiding sportsman or woman there should be no problems.... \:\)

#240747 - 04/28/04 07:36 PM Re: Why the need to kill native fish?
Jerry Garcia Offline

WDFW estimates the mortality rate from CNR or WSR just like they estimate for poachers. So under your plan what would keep somebody from CNRing 10 fish and bonking the 11 one?

Lonnie Gane

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |