LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#246013 - 06/09/04 03:59 AM Do Your Balls Swing?
seadeep Offline
Smolt

Loc: Mukilteo, WA
Hopefully I got the attention of some of the downrigger gurus...

I'm outfitting a 26 ft Carver with Scotty 1106's (with swivel bases) and I'm looking for advice and set-up ideas.

If you're using swivel bases AND you also use parachute cord (or those green shock cords), how do you keep the downrigger ball from swinging and causing mayhem when you swivel the boom to grab the release? I've never fished with anyone who had swivel bases and didn't attach the ball direct to the cable and raise it all the way to the end of the boom. So, I don't know what folks with swivel bases do to deal with "ball swing" if you aren't raising the ball completely.

For those of you who do use parachute cord, what weight cord are you using and do you have any tips on making the connections?

I also see folks using those weight retriever cords which bring the cable to hand without having to lean out from the boat. I've never used those and am thinking they are redundant with swivel bases. Any thoughts?

Any other good tips?

#246014 - 06/09/04 09:38 AM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
WalleyeWorld Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bonney Lake, Washington
seadeep,
I also have Scotty 1106 downriggers on my boat. I use 60" releases so I can get it to the boat without having to swivel the unit in everytime. I use a hook stick I made from an old broom handle with a small hook in the end to retrieve the release when the booms are fully extended. You can use hooks like those used to hang coffee cups or just a nail bent over. If they are not extended I can just reach out and grab them without too much trouble. If the water is really rough I use the hook stick. The only time I use the swivel is to attach the ball or to take it off. To eliminate ball swing I set the stop beads so the ball stops about six inches to one foot under the water. Hope this helps.

#246015 - 06/09/04 09:46 AM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
I have used the nylon cord on my downriggers for years. I just put the cord which is about 3/16 thick through the hole in the downrigger ball and tie a simple know. I used the big snap swivel at the end of the cable to attach the cord to the cable. The length of the cord is important as I have it long enough to keep the balls in the water when swinging them towards the boat. I use a release that is about 5' long and use the same stick I use to release fish to retrive the release or I use the tip of my rod. No need to swing the ball in everytime at all....The cord simply makes it easier to grab onto when you need to.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#246016 - 06/09/04 05:37 PM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
waino Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
I have the swivel bases as well, but prefer to use a home-made weight retriever. As the others have said, I adjust the stop beads so the weight stays just below the water, and when I need to get to my release clip I just haul it up with the retriever. Slick and fast. The only problem with the weight still in the water is sometimes my kids have let the fish get wrapped around it. Scotty makes some hooks that mount on the boom to hang the ball on. Seems to make sense for an easy way to clear the ball from the water, and a nice place to keep it when you need to move the boat. I'm going to try these this summer.

#246017 - 06/09/04 05:53 PM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
seadeep Offline
Smolt

Loc: Mukilteo, WA
Ah, three for three on folks keeping their weights in the water...

I'd experimented with that a few times, but with short booms and some wave action, the weight would still pop out of the water and smack the boat at times. Plus, it left some hazards when fighting fish.

I can see how using those retrievers in that case would be handy to just get the weights up and out of the way. I do have the weight hooks, so maybe that is the way to go.

Thanks for the responses so far!

#246018 - 06/09/04 08:51 PM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

My suggestion would be to either use a hook (homemade, boat hook or whatever suits you) to grab the release or use one of the Scotty retriever's. I've used the retrievers on my boat for years and they work great. It's easy to simply grab the cord and pull to grab your release. I would recommend you use a release that is at least 5' long to make it easier to grab. I've also used the hook method for grabbing my release and it works fine too. Just depends on what suits your style. If you want to use the swivel feature of the downrigger then you will need to bring the ball all the way up or you will hammer the side of your boat. When I'm fishing in sloppy water I leave my downrigger ball just under the surface until I'm ready with my gear or it will start swinging and will get your boat.

#246019 - 06/09/04 11:01 PM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
I am the same- leaving the ball in the water.

I am a firm believer in parachute cord.. As far as a weight in line, I like any 1/8' diameter cord. For knots on both ends, I use a uni-knot. Leave a liitle tag to melt against the knot.

My retriever is a 48" dowel with stick-on measuring tape along the length, a large cup holder on one end... the other end is a smaller brass cup holder for releasing fish.

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#246021 - 06/10/04 01:10 AM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I was on a guide boat in April. The guide had the Scotty weight retriever for each of his downriggers. I loved them because you could pull the ball in without it banging on the side and easily take the line off the rigger or put it back on. My new boat is being built and I will have the swivel base scotty's on it. I am buying the weight retriever too, fairly inexpensive.

I like the swivel base for only one reason, it allows me to swing the riggers in line with the boat when I go into the dock or raft up to another boat without the risk of the rigger arms striking the dock or the other boat, as oppossed to taking the downriggers off the base.

All good ideas here though and I agree it gets down to preference.

#246022 - 06/10/04 09:52 AM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I keep mine in the water also. While we are on downriggers....I hate the little plastic bar in the bottom of the rod holders because it puts an unatural bend on the rod handles. Has anyone removed it? If so did it make it harder to get the rod out of the holder with a fish on?

#246023 - 06/10/04 10:36 PM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Are you referring to the rod holder itself? I removed mine altogether.

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#246024 - 06/10/04 11:27 PM Re: Do Your Balls Swing?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Yeah the holder itself. I switched from manual Cannons to Scotty electrics this christmas. I already have fish-on rod holders mounted right by the riggers so removal is an option. But if I punch out that little plastic bar where the rod butt rests on you'd think the Scotty holders would be more ideal since they are right over the arm. Except I worry the rod handle will then be torqued in the holder with a fish on. Why'd you remove yours?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FISH'N BRASS, jomat, Rollo, Venga, Warlock49766
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 799 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645447 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |