LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#254749 - 09/11/04 05:14 PM Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
Matt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellingham, Washington
Hey all,

I'm starting school at WWU on the 22nd and I move in to my dorm room on the 18th (Next Saturday) and I need to know where to fish in Bellingham. I've never fished ANYWHERE up there, I'm mostly just interested in Salmon fishing. I know the nooksack is up in that area, but I havn't really heard anything good about it...... So... Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like it'll be stricly C&R for me too considering I won't have anywhere to cook or store aught fish \:\( . Ahh well.... better make sure to being my camera!

~MATT

#254750 - 09/11/04 06:42 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
santiago Offline
Smolt

Loc: Cape George
Website? (pretty nice) Salmon fishing? Steelhead follow the salmon and I have always found them to be even more exciting. Are you going to have any time for the books? It is a pretty tough job market out there, don't you know. Your education comes first.

Sorry to sound like an old man, and I am, but good luck to you and of course, GOOD FISHING!

#254751 - 09/11/04 08:01 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
LukeH Offline
Alevin

Loc: Bellingham
I am going to fish the Samish, a little ways south of Bham, on monday I'll let you know how I do.

Also Whatcom creek at the Maritime Heritage Park is supposed to be good in the fall but shoulder to shoulder fishing.

Depending on where you will be living on campus you may get a kitchen down stairs. It would be a hilarious scene for some vegetarians to walk through as you are cleaning a 20# chinook in the sink. \:D

#254752 - 09/11/04 09:27 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Hey Matt, nice to see a post from you. Good luck with the new Forum format. There's a river that runs right through Bellingham that has a great run of chum (Whatcom Cr). You'll have some fun c&r there. Good luck!

#254753 - 09/11/04 10:22 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Head across the border at Sumas and fish the Vedder/Chilliwack river. Try Freds-bc.com for a current report on the river. Good luck in school.

#254754 - 09/11/04 11:30 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
Matt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Mike C., I've always been floating around these waters \:\) but for some reason the Piscatorial Pursuits board just really didn't ever like me logging in. I think there have been a few changes that have allowed me to log in and stay logged in which is a plus! I will definately check out that chum action too, that would be a kick for some before class fun!

Other Mike, hadn't thought about crossing the border, but now that you mention it that might be something to look into.

My dorm DOES have kitchen access on all 3 floors I believe so I "could" technically fry up a huge salmon in front of all my housemates..... but I don't think it'd be very feasable \:D I could always fold 'em in half and shove um in my mini fridge for a day or so :p :p hah!

~MATT

#254755 - 09/12/04 01:14 AM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Mattt Matt Matt
4 Parts Brown suger, 1 part Salt, Chunks of Samish old boot Kings in a bag over night. Chunks of free alder in a little chief smoker and you got yourself free brew for the first semester. There is a lot more to learn at school than whats in the books. Hit Sammish a few days before school starts. :p

#254756 - 09/12/04 01:42 AM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
DraXxuS Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Bellingham
well the vedder is a good choice you can always go up to the south fork of the nooksack for coho i've always had really good luck there.

#254757 - 09/12/04 01:06 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
I to plan on trying the samish tomorrow. I have yet to hook a fish so I can give no advice, but good luck.

#254758 - 09/12/04 10:29 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
zambi Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, Washington
Welcome to town! It's a great one--moved here with my wife right after we married so she could get her Masters and we never left.

Re: fishing, I can't be of much help as I am still very much a novice--still very much learning the ropes and haven't caught a salmon or steelhead on the rivers in this area. I've mainly targeted the Nooksack and Skagit and am planning to check out the Samish as well. For fishing reports, check the H&H Anglers website at http://www.hhanglers.com/. You might also check with the folks at both H&H Anglers (downtown) and Yeager's (northwest end of town). I've had very friendly service at both places, and they can help you out with more experienced advice on local fishing than I can.

Also, Uncle Wes writes a column in the Whatcom Independent, a free local paper you should be able to find on campus. It comes out every Friday and is available online as well (http://www.whatcomindy.com). He has mostly written about lake fishing but as I recall he'll be covering salmon fishing soon, so that may be of help to you.

You may also check Uncle Wes' website (http://www.unclewes.com/index.html) for more info. He's developing some lures for salmon fishing soon.

Take care!

Zambi

P.S. I promise I don't work for any of those places \:\) I've just found them helpful.

#254759 - 09/12/04 10:44 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Two words for you Matt:

Vedder River

Starting about the 10th of October there'll be more salmon in that river than just about any other in the NW. Kings, silvers and chum. Like posted above, cross the border at Sumas, stop at Fred's for your license, hook fish till your arm falls off.

#254760 - 09/13/04 08:21 PM Re: Movin' To Bellingham: Where to fish?
Matt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for all the info, I will definately check out Whatcom creek for those Dogs and that Canadadadadian river sounds like a good ticket too!

~MATT

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |