Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#263551 - 12/13/04 09:20 PM Slide on the Sultan
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Came home and turned on the news in time to see a large slide on the Sultan that was video taped by some Kayakers. I don't know how far up, but the slide made a weak Dam on the river. The Kayakers had to climb out. I think it happened this past Saturday.

Looked like it left a lot of exposed mud bank.

#263552 - 12/13/04 10:16 PM Re: Slide on the Sultan
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I saw it too. I'm wondering how much mud is leaching downstream now.

#263553 - 12/14/04 01:17 AM Re: Slide on the Sultan
Gunnar Offline
Fry

The slide happened in the upper canyon sunday between the dam and the power plant.I know some of the boaters and am glad no one was hurt.The slide split up a large group that were on the run.It will most likely cause very muddy water when the upper canyon gets water for quite some time.

#263554 - 12/14/04 01:45 AM Re: Slide on the Sultan
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Saw that on the news tonight.... fantastic footage!

I wonder how much spawning gravel will get silted in by that slide? They showed a brief clip of stranded salmon when the water below the slide "dam" receded.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#263555 - 12/14/04 03:34 AM Re: Slide on the Sultan
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Gunny, I am surprised you weren't in the footage!
That was one hell of a slide, was that in the mid-canyon about 6 miles up from sultan?

#263556 - 12/14/04 12:20 PM Re: Slide on the Sultan
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Didn't see the footage, but sounds similar to something we saw on the Calawah a few years ago.

Corey, Jimmy Leons, and I were down brat fishing and came out of the Noose Hole only to find still water. Lots of puzzled looks amongst us.

Big slide fromt he right side of the river had essentially dammed the river. We had to sit and wait for river to cut a path through the material to get the boat through ... about 20 minutes or so.

Needless to say the river was way out below ... but fortunately, the hillside wasn't all mud and hasn't caused much problem since.

Weird feeling though when the river was totally different in character than it should be coming around a corner

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#263557 - 12/14/04 12:26 PM Re: Slide on the Sultan
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I saw it last night on the news, pretty awesome. I always worried about something like that happening when I fished Blue Creek, It seemed like I spent as much time looking over my shoulder as I did at the river.

#263558 - 12/14/04 01:46 PM Re: Slide on the Sultan
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
I did see a Huge Slide at Blue Creek. It was about a month before the fatal one. Some Cracker tried to walk up the cliff. He went on a parabolic path cutting into the sluff. The next day I was on Anderson bar and the hillside below his path completely went. It threw a wave that was maybe 4 feet high. I believe this slide led to the fatal one on Super Bowl Sunday a month or so later.

#263559 - 12/14/04 01:51 PM Re: Slide on the Sultan
Gunnar Offline
Fry

Hey Ryley,I was going to go but everyone was meeting at the gate by Spada lake to be let down to the dam to drop gear at 7:00 I just wasn't able to make it.The put in for the run is 13 miles above Sultan and I think the slide happened within the first 6 miles or so.Everyone there was very lucky that day the slide happened right after the first of two groups went through.

#263560 - 12/14/04 03:43 PM Re: Slide on the Sultan
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Hey I put a link to it on Fins 'n Feathers page!

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, No More Ice Fishin, steely slammer), 1165 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |