Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#267574 - 06/03/04 05:51 PM Powell on Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
So many here maintain that Powell was against the war and that the other members of the security council where right in not getting involved. His comparison is timely in that on the 6th we mark the most important date in the history of the modern world, the landing in Normandy.

Powell compares Iraq war to fight against Nazis

2 hours, 40 minutes ago Add Politics - AFP to My Yahoo!

PARIS (AFP) - As US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) headed to Europe for celebrations to mark the 60th anniversary of the D-Day landings, Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) compared the war in Iraq (news - web sites) to the fight against Nazi Germany.

AFP/File Photo

"I think we can compare the fight against the Nazis and the fight against Communism with the fight that we are now all engaged in against terrorism. And Iraq is a part of that battlefield," Powell said in an interview on France 3 television.

He said Iraq was not the only battlefield, however, citing the recent attacks in Saudi Arabia and the March 11 train bombings in Madrid, as well as the Istanbul bombings last year and the Bali blast in 2002.

"This is a new threat that we face and we have to approach it in the same way, with all of us working together, a great alliance of people who believe in peace, and freedom and the democratic process, to say to terrorists: 'You will not succeed. We will fight you'," said Powell.

Bush left Washington Thursday for Italy to attend a ceremony marking Rome's liberation by American troops on June 4, 1944, before heading to France to mark the June 6 landing of Allied troops on Normandy's beaches.

#267575 - 06/03/04 06:51 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

TK,

A metaphor as analogy does not make it so, even when make by so formerly a remarkable man as Colin Powell. It's the stuff a statesman's speech is made of, and shouldn't be confused with an objective technical analysis. However, it probably won some applause, even in France.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#267576 - 06/03/04 08:47 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
So Powell is a "formerly" good guy? he was a great guy when you thought he departed from Bush's policy. He was a good guy when you could quote him to support you anti-everything-Republican aganda.... So now he points out that Iraq is a battlefield in the war on terror and he is an idiot? A bad man?

What gives with that shallow logic?

#267577 - 06/03/04 10:16 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Quite a romantic analogy, but I think Powell is simply parroting Bush's speech to the Air Force Academy.

The war in Iraq is more analogous to the Spanish-American war, with the sinking of the USS Maine and the propaganda provided by Hurst ("You supply the pictures, I'll supply the war."), or the Vietnam War, with President Johnson's propaganda surrounding the attack on the Maddox.

The similarity being motivating the American people to back a war using false information.

#267578 - 06/03/04 10:38 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

What's the boss supposed to do Harley? get out in front of the worker bees and say things are desperately screwed up and if I were you I would stay in your homes....it all sucks.....we'll Never win.....Oh I wish I hadn't made all these decisions....oh my ....oh gee....doom and gloom...

That would motivate alot of people!

#267579 - 06/03/04 11:41 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Of course not. But I don't think he should be trying to use WWII as another play on the public's hearts to gather emotional support for his Iraq debacle. He's trying to conjure up images of Hitler's reign to keep the people scared and supportive. See Goering.

Dave Ross had a guy on the other day that spoke of how the neocons are so frightened of another Nazi-like regime that they use WWII as justification for invading any country that may pose a threat.

I still think comparing terrorism in the world to the Nazi occupation of Europe is flawed. Terrorism is not a government that you can identify and replace with a more suitable one. It's a tactic, like using a gun versus using a knife. You cannot erradicate terrorism any more than you can rid the world of every knife or sharp object.

You have to learn to predict it, protect from it, and repel it. What makes all that more difficult is invading a country for whatever-reason-of-the-week is, wasting billions of dollars on that folly, and neglecting our own shores.

#267580 - 06/04/04 12:05 AM Re: Powell on Iraq
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

My fellow Americans

I SUCK!!!

I'm not worthy...

there is that a better speech?

#267582 - 06/04/04 09:28 AM Re: Powell on Iraq
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

#267583 - 06/04/04 11:02 AM Re: Powell on Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

My fellow Americans in just a few generations you have forgotton that freedom brings great responsibility. You are like little kids looking for the next sweet treat. Already fat from excess you waddle through Walmart and you balk at sharing the fruit of your freedom fortune with others. As you sit in your spacious homes you cannot fathom the misery of others. Shame on you, you deserve the wrath of the angry and the jealousy of others.

#267584 - 06/04/04 11:37 AM Re: Powell on Iraq
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Aunty, cut out the Al Gore part and you'd just about have my vote....

#267585 - 06/04/04 12:20 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
My fellow Americans in just a few generations you have forgotton that freedom brings great responsibility. You are like little kids looking for the next sweet treat. Already fat from excess you waddle through Walmart and you balk at sharing the fruit of your freedom fortune with others. As you sit in your spacious homes you cannot fathom the misery of others. Shame on you, you deserve the wrath of the angry and the jealousy of others.
Hey how's the view from that high horse?

Unless, of course, you're posting from Sudan now, while taking a break from building homes and water purification systems.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#267586 - 06/04/04 12:27 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Dan. We have built 10 water systems and 3 villages schools in Sudan and Kenya each. We have also built several 100 homes in each country and a few hundred more in Mexico. I send $250 a month to these countries in direct aid. I will go to Sudan with my kids in 2007 as a lesson in life. I could buy a nice boat and take some real nice fishing trips I suppose but thats what the people at the bottom of the hill do.

#267587 - 06/04/04 12:44 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Aunty for president!

#267588 - 06/04/04 01:00 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Originally posted by Theking:
I send $250 a month to these countries in direct aid.
And you got a problem paying a few bucks a month in tax to help out the less fortunate in your own country?

#267589 - 06/04/04 01:15 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Harley,

If I have to explain the difference between the two groups you are a lost cause.

Poor in this country is generally a choice with a few exceptions.

Helping people is a choice and a responsibility and should not be mandated by the Federal govt.

#267590 - 06/04/04 01:54 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Originally posted by Theking:
Poor in this country is generally a choice with a few exceptions.

Helping people is a choice and a responsibility and should not be mandated by the Federal govt.
Ya know, that's probably the most disgusting thing you've said thus far. And it perfectly corroberates my perception of you.

If people took the responsibility of helping their own countrymen first the Feds wouldn't have to "persuade" you. I fail to understand why some here have such a disdain and contempt for their fellow Americans.

#267591 - 06/04/04 02:08 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
"Poor in this country is generally a choice with a few exceptions."

King,

Let me introduce you to about 5 or 6 MILLION inner-city minority citizens and about the same amount of rural inhabitants across America who definitely DID NOT CHOOSE poverty. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know you post a lot of sh!t just to get a reaction. It's when you post sh!it like the quote above and appear genuine in your sentiments, that you really start to worry me...

#267592 - 06/04/04 02:27 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

4salt,

Horse hocky to the 10th power. You confirm that the left is the most racist party with that drivel. It is blatatntly racist to say that these people are incapable of lifting themselves up. making excuses . It is absolutly a choice barring mental illness ,physical disablitiy etc. the SE Asian migration in the late 70's and early 80's to this country and their success as a people and culture prove that point. A bigger example happening now is the Hispanic migration. Where they are legal they live above the poverty level where they are not they live below the poverty level. Go to any 3rd world country and offer them the free education every other opportunity that those "inner city dwellers" have and you would be considered a savior as you watch their station in life improve.

#267593 - 06/04/04 03:00 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
Dan. We have built 10 water systems and 3 villages schools in Sudan and Kenya each. We have also built several 100 homes in each country and a few hundred more in Mexico. I send $250 a month to these countries in direct aid. I will go to Sudan with my kids in 2007 as a lesson in life. I could buy a nice boat and take some real nice fishing trips I suppose but thats what the people at the bottom of the hill do.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#267594 - 06/04/04 03:11 PM Re: Powell on Iraq
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

"Helping people is a choice and a responsibility and should not be mandated by the Federal govt."

But didn't you just call for the Federal Government to step in in Sudan? And aren't you all for the Federal Government "helping" the Iraqi's?

I am all for faith based initiatives if they want to send church organizations overseas to fight without using the USA brand name if that's what you are saying. It would kill two birds with one stone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |