THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#275533 - 12/16/04 08:40 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Religion is great! Please enjoy yours and keep it to yourself.

Thank you.

#275534 - 12/16/04 09:43 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
OK, I'll keep it to myself if you'll keep your opinion to yourself... ;\) :p

#275535 - 12/17/04 11:05 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not an opinion this time but a request.... thank you for your consideration.

#275536 - 12/19/04 12:22 AM Re: Alright You none Christians?
Spartan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Little Susitna River
YAWN!!!!

To the tune of "Just keep swimming" sung by Dori in Finding Nemo.

#275537 - 12/19/04 12:31 AM Re: Alright You none Christians?
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
2 Timothy, chapter 2

23...Again I say, don't get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights.

24 The Lord's servants must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone. They must be able to teach effectively and be patient with difficult people.

25 They should gently teach those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people's hearts, and they will believe the truth.

#275538 - 12/19/04 05:21 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I'd think that christians that bring topics up like this would have something better to do with their time.

Most of them that I've seen haven't looked in the mirror and should be spending this time trying to improve themselves and taking their own advice.

It's amazing how many adults believe in fairy tales that have been rewritten who knows how many times.
Cracks me up when it's always an "interpretation" of the bible.

"No it doesn't say that, you aren't reading it right!!"

#275539 - 12/20/04 12:32 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

"rewritten who knows how many times"

Something that has been translated many times is quite different than something that has been "re-written many times".

There are many sources on the internet where you can compare, side by side, the different translations. With the discovery of the 'dead sea scrolls' and such, they have been able to compare various prior translations and have found them to be very reliable.

#275540 - 12/21/04 01:12 AM Re: Alright You none Christians?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Quote:
Originally posted by Aix sponsa:
Enough is Enough,
So you don’t believe in Christ, But every one of you folks give gifts, and do the Holiday stuff :rolleyes: .
Christmas …Hum a hello …….CHRISTS MASS. A Christian celebration! So if you don’t believe, then don’t use it to show your love to Your families, and friends. find something else, and go to work. Why should your get a Pd vacation for celebrating some thing you don’t believe in? So for those of you that don’t believe go out side take your stupid lights off your houses, get the tree out of your house, go to work, and continue to bash GOD and JESUS CHRIST. And quit using them for your gain of receiving something for nothing.
Get a clue. Already.

Jim
Thanks for a timely seasonal demonstration of Christian brotherly love.

#275541 - 12/21/04 12:29 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
"Something that has been translated many times is quite different than something that has been "re-written many times"."

And things that are translated are never the same. Some words don't exist, some have totally different meanings.

All this over a book of fairy tales...........................

#275542 - 12/21/04 12:58 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

That's why they call it 'Bible study'. It isn't just about picking up the good book and reading a few verses. You always check the context, find other supporting passages, compare the various translations (some focus on getting the exact wording, others strive for the exact meaning, etc), have Greek and Hebrew dictionaries available, concordances, etc.

You can call the Bible a fairy tale all you want, but every year they find archeological evidence of the historical accuracy surrounding many aspects of the Old Testament - cities scientist\archeologist didn't believe existed are found, etc. The New Testament is also regarded as being a valid historical document - people and places discussed actually did exist. So the disputes are really just surrounding the accounts of miracles and such - and as most things, just comes down to faith. But dismissing the entire Bible as a 'fairy tale' is pure ignorance.

#275543 - 12/21/04 03:44 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Quote:
... but every year they find archeological evidence of the historical accuracy ...
Would that be the "discovery" of John's ossuary or the cheese sandwich with the likeness of Mary as examples? ;\)

Quote:
... dismissing the entire Bible as a 'fairy tale' is pure ignorance.
Many others can easily argue that accepting the entire Bible as fact is naive and ignorant.

#275545 - 12/21/04 04:48 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
Quote:
Originally posted by goharley:
Quote:
... but every year they find archeological evidence of the historical accuracy ...
Would that be the "discovery" of John's ossuary or the cheese sandwich with the likeness of Mary as examples? ;\)

Quote:
... dismissing the entire Bible as a 'fairy tale' is pure ignorance.
Many others can easily argue that accepting the entire Bible as fact is naive and ignorant.
------------------------------------------------------------

Goharley,

What are you?

Care to share?

I've heard you mock Christians in one post and talk about the importance of remembering the 'reason for the season' in another.

I thought maybe you were a Catholic, then I thought maybe Unatarian, or do you have any denomintion you identify and agree with?

Do you have any firm beliefs with regard to God, Jesus and the Holy Bible?

I'm not trying to start a big debate or internet cage match, it's just that I'd be interested in learning how you arrive at some of the conclusions you do.

#275546 - 12/21/04 05:56 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

I'm a human, Krusty, that's really all that's important. Any other label attached simply divides.

#275547 - 12/21/04 08:58 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

"Many others can easily argue that accepting the entire Bible as fact is naive and ignorant."

They could offer their opinion - but it is not a good comparison.

That the Bible has historical accuracy among other things is not really debateable.

That parts of the Bible require the same leap of faith to beleive for children, adults, the uneducated, the scholars and scientists - is not by definition 'ignorance', but a combination of simple faith and personal experience.

Most Christians understand this requirement of faith to be a corner store of our relationship with God\Jesus. Would it be right if to understand the Bible and attain a solid 'faith' in God, you had to have years of formal eductation? The beauty of the Bible and understanding God\Jesus is that a small child can have that personal relationship with Him through the simplest faith, and a Dr with many Phd's can study every translation, research the historical contexts, examine the archeological evidence, and yet in the end they must take the same step of faith. Why? Because time and again in the Bible God\Jesus demonstrates that it is not by OUR efforts (studying\being smart\intelligent, 'being good', doing all the 'right things', being very 'religious', being a 'good person', etc), but the perfect work of Jesus that gives people the opportunity\gift of salvation.

Of course there are some very confused, ignorant, dillusional, mislead individuals and even entire congregations of "Christians" who cast a bad light on all Christians and religious people. But that is simply a matter of the diversity of mankind. Pick any large group of people and you can quickly find the deviants, ignorant, dillusional, etc...

#275548 - 12/21/04 09:44 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
GH:

My favorite author, Mark Twain once said something like, "I care not what race a man may be. Bieng human is condemnation enough."

#275549 - 12/21/04 10:06 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for your opinion, Phreak, but that doesn't make it all fact. Some say the Bible is absolute fact, while others say it is absolute fiction. I say you're both wrong.

Homer's work has historical accuracy, but I don't believe everything from the Illiad or the Odyssey.

Because the Bible said Jesus used Tupperware® when He turned water to wine, and two-thousand years later archeologists find shards of Tupperware® at a site, does not alone give absolute credence to the story, given that Tupperware® was the predominantly used vessel for carrying both water and wine at that time.

What I do attribute the teachings and complexities of the Bible to is, as you put it, "a matter of the diversity of mankind."

#275550 - 12/21/04 11:35 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Hello??? What are you talking about?

The guy said that the bible was a fairy tale. I said it is far from that for the reasons mentioned above. Nowhere in THIS thread did I make any claims about the Bible being 100 percent verifiable 'fact'.

If it could simply be 'proven', there would be no need for faith.

#275551 - 12/22/04 03:52 AM Re: Alright You none Christians?
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
"That the Bible has historical accuracy among other things is not really debateable. "

+

That the bible has historical INaccuracy among other things is not really debatable

=

push

#275552 - 12/22/04 11:32 AM Re: Alright You none Christians?
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
"I'm a human, Krusty, that's really all that's important. Any other label attached simply divides."

Yah! right just call him Mahatma Harley.

#275553 - 12/22/04 01:11 PM Re: Alright You none Christians?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Dave -
A couple of years ago I saw Hal Holbrook do his Mark Twain routine on stage. That was really impressive. What great wit that man had.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1382 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |