Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#287951 - 01/12/05 01:16 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I appreciate all of the responses. This helps me out a lot. My thanks to all of you. Mike

#287952 - 01/12/05 04:53 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
There are so many good digital cameras on the market today, the brand is a matter of choice. Base your purchase on what feels right in you hand. A waterproof case is a great add on for those underwater portraits of your catch.

I have a small pelican case that holds my Nikon 5000 and an extra battery and a coupe of compact flash cards. It is very handy to have on the seat of an open boat.

A small (#5) clear drybag is a very inexpensive insurance policy for storing camera gear, cell phone, etc..

As a working professional outdoor photographer, using dry bags

#287953 - 01/12/05 05:04 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
There are so many good digital cameras on the market today, the brand is a matter of choice. Base your purchase on what feels right in you hand. A waterproof case is a great add on for those underwater portraits of your catch.

I have a small pelican case that holds my Nikon 5000 and an extra battery and a coupe of compact flash cards. It is very handy to have on the seat of an open boat.

A small (#10) clear drybag is a very inexpensive insurance policy for storing camera gear, cell phone, etc.. Cascade Design makes excellent bags and has a water tight fanny pack that will hold a small digital or 35MM point & shoot camera. They carry a disclaimer on camera gear, but I have waded with it submerged and never had any leaking.

As a working professional outdoor photographer, using dry bags has saved me a lot of bucks over the years while doing river rafting, kayaking, canoing and fishing assignments. Whatever you're not using at the moment, keep it in the drybag.

#287954 - 01/13/05 12:04 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mooch:
As an all around fishing camera, I'd consider the following features in this order: 4 meg or better, small and compact, WR, quick fire, 3X zoom, comfortable control layout, good battery life, 2" screen, SD memory preferable, intuitive menu and a movie mode.
Wow! How about that. I feel like I just rubbed a bottle and heard "your wish is my command".
Here it is hot off the press, a "Class 8 Waterproof" gem that was just introduced on DP Review. Unfortunately not available quite yet.

Pentax Optio WP

Just wish I would have been more specific and asked that genie to make it under the brand I rep. Oh well, be that as it may, this looks like a fisherman's dream come true, so I'll give credit where credit is due and tip my hat to you on this one Pentax!

Anonymously,
Mooch
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#287955 - 01/13/05 01:18 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Thanks Mooch. That one looks like it has everything recommended and more. I can wait until its availalbe in April.

#287956 - 01/13/05 01:42 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Mooch

Thanks!

This feature will help out just about ever one one on this Board

"2) The Red-eye compensation function touches up red eyes in recorded images."

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#287957 - 01/13/05 02:19 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

That Optio WP (WaterProof) sounds like a winner, Mooch. Amazing how the technology improves in just a year! If that new one performs anything like it's predecessor Optio 43WR, there's gonna be a lot of happy fisher-folks out there.

Make sure to share those memorable moments with the board, Mike... looking forward to seeing some of your underwater shots.

I was reading thru that list of features and looking to see if you can dunk the WP in saltwater. Surfing, ocean/bay salmon fishing, snorkelling... anybody know?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#287958 - 01/13/05 03:41 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Peter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Gig Harbor,WA
WOW, I've been waiting for a digital camera to come out like the Pentax-OptioWP.

Too bad, we just bought a new camera couple months ago. Oh well, I'll just have to wait for next Christmas and more likely will get the OptioWP and use it primarily for my fishing trips,etc. Can't wait!

Peter <><
Matthew 4:19

#287959 - 01/15/05 12:09 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

I am just looking forward to finally being able to share some shots. I hope I can get it before I go to Hawaii in mid April. Will be visiting my foks and doing some ocean fishing and it would be great to bring back some nice pics.

#287960 - 01/16/05 02:32 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Only one thing to add that I haven't seen and that's to get the fastest memory that your camera can use. I'm only speaking for CF memory...can't speak for the others.

I have an 8X 16Mb card that came with our Nikon Coolpix 4300, and a 4X 512Mb card (made by Lexar, same as the smaller card), and the 4X card is so slow to record that it makes taking pics of any motion a crap shoot. You have to hit the shutter release then just hope something good happens with it finally shoots.

Some of the new higher end cameras also support write acceleration (WA) but I don't know if you're wanting to go that far. I think the CF cards for those are spendy!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Carcassman), 1459 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |