THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#293445 - 03/01/05 07:57 PM How are your plug rods set up?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lost 2 fish Sat. (and 2 of my plugs!) due to leader malfunction. Figure I must be doing something wrong here.

I'm running Power Pro (20# on one rod, 30# on the other) and had tied about 6' of 12# Ultragreen directly to the PP as a leader. This was where the problems happened..the leader separated at the knot. One broke at the knot, and the other knot had the mono slip out of the knot at the take-down. Neither fish had sufficient pressure being applied to break the leader...IMO.

Have thought about going back to straight 15# mono, or using a barrel swivel to attach the leader.

Thoughts?

Mike

#293446 - 03/01/05 08:15 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
BratBonker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell WA
Seems like a barell Swivel would be the way to go...

#293447 - 03/01/05 08:20 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Which know are you using?

Kevin

#293448 - 03/01/05 08:30 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
A barrel swivel is not the way to go for three reasons; one it keeps the plug from diving as deep as it could (so what), two it catches debris (leaves, grass, etc. super annoying) and lastly but most importantly, the swivel won't allow a lure retriever to slide down the line if your plug gets hung up.
I run 15# Izorline in yellow (I am color blind and Maxima Fibre-Glow pink just doesn't show up) blood-knotted to three feet of clear mono of your choice, but I use Stren Flourocarbon in 17# (it just happens to have about the same breaking stregnth as the Izorline). Then a Jensen snap to the plugs eye. I haven't lost one yet to line failure.

This is the not so secret recipe for success. I blundered my way into agreement after trying everything else imaginable.

Good luck!
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#293449 - 03/01/05 08:34 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kevin,

Was using a blood knot.

I think I'll cut ti all apart tonight, and re-tie everything. And then CHECK the knots with a few sound yanks before using (had done that before...but lost one fish when he took the plug down...knot just slipped out.

JTD: good idea about the swivel catching stuff. Seems like a +/- situation...it also keeps the crap off your plug.

I use the PP because it is smaller diameter, letting the plug run deeper, and with less drag I believe the plug gets more action.

Is the blood knot the right one to use connecting PP to mono?

Mike

#293450 - 03/01/05 08:40 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
I'm not an old pro or anything but I've been using 40# PP with a blood knot to 8# maxima leader. This is a float/bait rig I've been using this winter and have had no problems at all with 13 fish landed. I use 5 wraps on each side and lubricate (spit) before cinching it down. I have re-tied a few times when the mono got stretched on the cinch down.

#293451 - 03/01/05 09:22 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
I've said it over and over, no leader needed with power pro,palomar knot to hot shot snap,attache plug,never ever need a leader

#293452 - 03/01/05 09:36 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
gilly Offline
Hazmat

Loc: on the river
ISO-
15# Izor platinum, Plug. 1 knot \:D

#293453 - 03/01/05 10:10 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
Shaggy357 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bonney Lake
If you touch the end of your power-pro with a flame, it will melt the ends of the braid together. This has been one help to me with some of the knots using braided lines. Doesn't slip.

Steve \:D

#293454 - 03/01/05 11:23 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
Starfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Richland, WA
Two thoughts. First, I prefer a back-to-back uni knot for joining braid and mono. Second, I switched to heavier mono or fluoro for the leader-- typically 20 lb Seaguar fluoro-- after losing a few favorite plugs on 12 lb. With the braid mainline you get plenty of depth on your plug, and my experience has been that the fish aren't leader shy with plugs. I HATE losing a plug with teethmarks in it and the heavier leader hasn't cost me any bites as far as I can tell.

#293455 - 03/01/05 11:29 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
bob b Offline
Smolt

Loc: Eugene,Or.
Good steelhead conditions rig up as skydriftin recommends.

Low clear water they are leader shy. I use a palomar knot to a snap,36 inches of maxima chameleon to a plug. IMHO the blood knot is not a good choice when two different types of lines.

#293456 - 03/02/05 12:12 AM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
cutt plug Offline
Fry

Loc: Oregon city, Oregon
Lots of good advice here.

I only use a blood knot when I go mono to mono. I use a double uni knot when I go mono to braid.

I wouldn't go with a swivel, try the uni and burn the end of the braid and give it a pull test.

Good luck!

#293457 - 03/02/05 12:53 AM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Mike,
Stay away from using a blood knot with power pro to mono. The knot tightens up on itself and will cut the mono. Use a double uni knot like the one in the instruction book that comes with the power pro. Also when tighting the power pro to swivels use the polomar or uni knot. Hope this helps

Tight lines

Kevin

#293458 - 03/02/05 01:07 AM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Blood knots and braid do not mix because it is almost impossible to lock the tag end of the braid. Unlike mono which is very "grabby" against itself, braid is super slick and is very prone to slippage. Unless you tie at least a dozen (perhaps more) turns on the braid side of the blood knot, I can just about guarantee the braid will slip each and every time! Your knot will immediately come unraveled once the end of the braid slips past the "lock" of the blood knot.

A Uni-to-Uni is a better connection as the tag end of the braid will not slip like it does in a blood knot. The U-U is also much easier for most folks to tie. With practice, it can be tied blind-folded, which would be impossible for a blood knot.

However, the U-U connection is still not exactly the strongest splice out there. There are plenty of stronger, but more complicated splices available. But given the ease and speed of tying this knot, and its relatively compact profile (can be cast thru small rod guides) the U-U is probably the most popular connection for mono-to-braid.

I would caution anyone who uses a lighter to singe the tag end of any fishing line. It's too easy to get that flame too close to the rest of the knot, causing thermal damage that might weaken the rest of the knot.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#293459 - 03/02/05 10:07 AM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
Mike-
You will find if the water is not gin clear you will not need any leader. I have never used braided line (the stuff has no stretch) I have been using hi vis suffix12lb tied with a trilene
knot directly to the snap on the plug. I would set your drag looser than normal with the braid because when you get a massive take down you need some give somewhere or the plug tends to pop out of the mouth.
Good luck.
Chrome

#293460 - 03/02/05 11:00 AM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Mike, I've found the aggressive fish in the fishery your currently targeting to be very leader insensitive so, like skydriftin said, go with the power pro straight to your duoclip and tied with a palomar. Just make sure some newbie doesn't get the line rapped around the tip or you'll be buying more new rods.

#293461 - 03/02/05 11:08 AM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
15lb hi-vis izor main line to a size seven barrell swivel with a four to five foot ultra green leader.I use either 10lb / 12lb or 15lb depending on the system I'm fishin.I've never had a problem with this set up.I'll redo this all after each trip.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#293462 - 03/02/05 11:40 AM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
straight mono 15lb. have never broke off a fish on it. braid does go deeper but it depends on the plug you are using weather it matters or not. ex a tadpolly on braid will not dive deeper than a wort on mono. when you need plugs out at 8-9 bars and want them down deep because of low and clear conditions, then switch to a deeper diving plug.

fishing a typical steelhead hole of 4-8 ft depth will never require the extra depth or action of braided line.
the only time i can see a clear advantage is when sitting on divers and you want them both deep and right below you due to crowded conditions like alot of backbouncers in a deep hole

#293463 - 03/02/05 12:15 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

I like to use 25lb high vis mainline and 15lb clear mono leader with a bloodknot. Never lost a fish due to this setup. I've gotten used to the crutch of high vis and being able to really track the plugs around root balls and such.

#293464 - 03/02/05 12:38 PM Re: How are your plug rods set up?
gilly Offline
Hazmat

Loc: on the river
ISO-
I used to run Maxima Fibre Glow 15#to a leader of 12# maxima ultra green. I used a blood knot for my connection and would dab a little Aqua Seal on the knot to smooth everything out. I have since gone back to straight 15#Izor platinum. I know how far my guys put the plugs out and exactly were they are running, I have yet to lose a fish to malfunction or break off. Landed a 42.5x21.5 last friday, it put us to the test.
matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1211 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |