THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#299855 - 05/09/05 01:22 PM What makes a Cracker?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Here are a few to get the fire going.

3. All fly fishermen. ;\)

4. Those who post spent winter re-brights as fresh summer fish. :rolleyes:

5. Friends that call from their motel room when you are lauching the boat to say they are going to be late. :p

#299856 - 05/09/05 01:28 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

SOL:

Did you use yourself, and the various ways you have fished, as the template for being a Cracker? \:D

I'm glad, and honored, to see I qualify for Cracker status!

Like the old song goes:

"I'm a Cracker, He's a Cracker, Wouldn't you like to be a Cracker too?"

MB

#299857 - 05/09/05 01:36 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

The only reason I was late was because of the food I ate the night before. I'll say it again, I'M SORRY SOL!

#299858 - 05/09/05 01:37 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

I wasn't talking about you Bucket. \:\)

Mike, Bucket and Tod*: Everyone can be a cracker on occasion. The trick is being an expensive "high-end" cracker. It's the common Saltine Crackers that get my goat.

#299859 - 05/09/05 02:46 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
We all have to learn sometime, so, to me, ignorance is OK as long as it's combined with courtesy.

It's ignorance plus arrogance that I can't stand.

#299860 - 05/09/05 02:52 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know why the term "cracker" came to be used describing idiots fishing, I always thought it was a slang name the bruthas gave to whitey.

#299861 - 05/09/05 03:22 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Quote:
SlabQuest said: We all have to learn sometime, so, to me, ignorance is OK as long as it's combined with courtesy.

It's ignorance plus arrogance that I can't stand.
My thoughts precisely, SlabQuest.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#299862 - 05/09/05 03:34 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too agree with slabquest. Since I am a boat beginner I appreciate his patience, its the "old salts" who know it all that bug me.

One a$$ yelled "if you don't know what your doing get off the water". Sorry dude, didn't know you were born an expert!!!!

#299863 - 05/09/05 03:39 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
1> Guys who side drift right thru water I am plugging at the time...

2> Guys who think the rest of the river needs to get out of their way because they are "side drifting" and need the whole river to do it..

3> Guys who think side drifting is something they invented or something..

4> Guys who low hole the hell out of everyone on the river because after all " they are side drifting, now get the hell outa my way "

5> Dumbasses who think they are different because they are " boondoggling" when they are just side drifting....

6> Jack asses who are forever pissed because the whole river is not side drifting like they are.. and are clogging up their rivers...

#299864 - 05/09/05 03:46 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
I was fishin the Cowlitz from the bank last week end with 2 mexican's that I work with, i was fishin they were just visitin me....

as boats went past, either considerately or at full tilt, many would ask "any luck" or "seen any roll?", I would only answer the people that slowed down & drifted by...

my friends asked why i ignored the others, i told them, look at the expression(s) on the faces of the people that blow by at mch 1 through the drift and know that they are looking us & calling us crackers ...

they got a big laugh out of that ...

so did i after i figured out why they were laughing so hard...

#299865 - 05/09/05 03:49 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
I was fishin the Cowlitz from the bank last week end with 2 mexican's that I work with, i was fishin they were just visitin me....

as boats went past, either considerately or at full tilt, many would ask "any luck" or "seen any roll?", I would only answer the people that slowed down & drifted by...

my friends asked why i ignored the others, i told them, look at the expression(s) on the faces of the people that blow by at mch 1 through the drift and know that they are looking us & calling us crackers ...

they got a big laugh out of that ...

so did i after i figured out why they were laughing so hard...

#299866 - 05/09/05 03:56 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Hmmm...lots of things.

I haven't been called a cracker for a long time, but I guess being late at the launch qualifies, so I'll take my lumps for that one :p ...I've certainly used a lot worse terms for folks who have made me late to get on the water!

There are a ton of superficial characteristics that can be tagged on a "cracker", but that's all they are...superficial. Things like yellow rods, upside down spinning reels, corkies the size of basketballs, hip boots, and the use of "it'll smoke up fine!" to justify the bonking of a boot.

A more realistic definition, however, is probably better rooted in the attitude of the fisherman, in my book, and how they use the knowledge that they have accumulated.

Ignorance doesn't so much make a cracker as stupidity does...ignorance is the lack of knowledge, and stupidity is the inability to apply readily available knowledge, whether it be intentional or just plain illogical.

For instance, you see a kid with a camo chum salmon, perhaps the biggest fish he's ever caught, proudly bonking it and showing it off to everyone he can get to listen for five minutes.

Cracker? Probably not...excitement or inexperience has ruled the day, for someone who probably doesn't know any better. That's ignorance...and I don't mean "ignorance" to be a bad word, just to be its dictionary definition...they don't know any other way.

Next, you see a dude who has caught lots of fish in his day, bonking the same fish, knowing full well that there is nothing there to eat, that most people won't be too impressed...but doing it anyway. That's just plain stupid...he knows that it is worthless as food, and that it is only done through some wierd sense of what is "impressive" to someone.

Major cracker.

I'll probably step on a few toes with this one, but proving your fishing prowess by showing off all the fish you can catch when you fish with a guide is some serious cracker material.

True, the guide can't catch the fish for you, but he damn near can.

This goes hand in hand with fishing over massive runs of hatchery fish, and somehow equating high success rates with some kind of great fishing prowess.

Big whoop.

I fish over those runs, and catch a lot of fish...perhaps more than most, but it's not really a reflection of what a super star I am... :rolleyes: ...the fish are there, if you do it right, you catch them.

For myself, I'm much more proud of fishing a piece of river like the upper Sauk, which is a brand new river every year, and has a six week window of good fish presence...two trips just to see the changes and try to figure out the "new" river, and a few more to modify that "figuring out", hopefully while catching fish, and then having a few good days...then the season ends.

Hopefully there's not a lot of change in the river conditions over that six week period, or the whole thing starts over.

For myself, that is what steelhead fishing is all about...applying 25 years of experience to something that is new, or changing every day, and being successful.

So you can side drift the same run, year in and year out, and pull fish out from behind the exact same rock, every trip, every year. Yes, it's good on you that you found that rock, and found the fish. However, it's not much of an accomplishment to only be able to catch fish there, if when you go to a new river, where you don't have that specific knowledge, and there is no meaningful experience to draw on that helps you catch fish there, too.

If that wasn't "soap box" enough, here's some serous soap boxing...

If you don't in some way, whether it be through modifying your own actions, educating others, cultivating the next generation of fishermen, or give back to the resource on a significant level...if you don't do any of those things, on behalf of our sport and our fish, then you are a cracker, period...and I don't care how good of a fisherman you are, or how many you catch.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I forgot this one...if you wear a pink life vest, you are a cracker!! \:D \:D

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#299867 - 05/09/05 03:58 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol_on_the_Duc:
Here are a few to get the fire going.

Then why did you post a picture of your self fly fishing?

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#299868 - 05/09/05 04:11 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
SloMoFishDad Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett, WA
Luke the Drifter...I've also wondered how the word "cracker" morphed into a derogatory fishing term.

From what I remember from history 101, the slaves used to refer to their master/land owner, as ole "Mr. Cracker," since he was the one who would crack the whip.

Kinda turned into the opposite of the "N-word."

Please correct me if my facts are wrong.

What really gets me, as mostly a bankie, is when somebody squeezes in on your spot without saying a word. I enjoy having some company most of the time, but when a guy inches his a$$ closer, and closer, and closer without even saying "hello," that gets to me. I usually let it go, unless they start working their gear over mine. Sometimes, it's like they're looking as much for trouble as fish, and you never know who's "packin."

#299869 - 05/09/05 04:34 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
hey sol.. i dont really see a problem with someone anchored up drift fishing.... not really sure how that works into being a cracker..... but you're the man, atleast in your own mind...

if i want to anchore up and fish jigs, or drift fish i will.. go ahead and call me a "cracker" i am just out to have fun and if i decide to fish a different way from you to damn bad..

you need to get over yourself.. you're not the cats meow..

#299870 - 05/09/05 04:36 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
Why is it soooooo important to know what mekes a "CRACKER". I for one think this whole topic is nonsence. Just Sol trying to start trouble !!!!!!

#299871 - 05/09/05 04:38 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

My moniker on this board used to be "Cracker". So named by two guys (Coho and JHOP) who took me under their wing about ten years ago and brought me from poseur to someone who could "crack" a few fish off here and there. Want to see a real "Cracker"? See my King of the Dorks post!

#299873 - 05/09/05 04:54 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

[Looks like I found B-RUNS hot button.] You should come out and go side-drifting sometime, B-RUN. I'll show you how to lift steelhead out from under plugger's boats. It's a little trick local guide Pat Graham taught me.

I concur, fishermen that are both ignorant and arrogant should recieve a driveby colonoscopy with a G-Loomis spinning rod.

#299874 - 05/09/05 04:58 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol_on_the_Duc: Here are a few to get the fire going.

------------------------------------------------------------

Just the snobby, 'holy-er-than-thou' ones....which is quite a few of them.

I hate it when you see the real Fly fishing crackers with their brand new Orvis gear smacking the heck out of the water scaring every fish worth catching away and then they get excited about catching steelhead smolts (many of which will die after being released)thinking they've caught a a regular trout.

#299875 - 05/09/05 05:41 PM Re: What makes a Cracker?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Come on Duck in the fog , just having some fun on a monday dude !!! If you knew the guy who handed me this screwed up data table and asked me to fix it for him so he can be a hero at a meeting tomorrow.... You would think he was a cracker in the text described from the plantation days...

Sol, I'd side drift with you guys anytime.. we don't do it much over here because we would get our asses kicked at the boat ramp.. To steal from Ron White " I don't know how many of them plug pullers it would take to kick my ass... but I could see how many they were fixin to use "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1160 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |