THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#307870 - 08/05/05 04:22 PM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Well first of all Staph is not the only species of concern.
Quote:
Germination, growth, and toxin formation by Clostridium botulinum type A, and proteolytic B and F Above 70°F (above 21°C)
2 hours, Maximum Cumulative Exposure Time
Cumulative exposure time includes all the time that your fillets have been at room temp since you cleaned them from the fish.

I'm not writing any of this to convince you Stlhd. You've already made up your mind based on your vast experience with your lifetime rate of one infection. I am writing this to make sure you don't confuse somebody who wants to get it right.

Were you serious when you wrote you have on ly had one infection your whole life? Everyone at home is still scratching their heads about that one.

Let me know when your ready to explain to me why my elitist theories on the Earth being round are all wrong.

#307871 - 08/05/05 04:46 PM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

So cumulatively I'm at two hours outside air temp. Zero hours room temp. Nothing to worry about.
That I know of I've never had any other infection in my life not even a sinus infection. I must have built up immunities eating all that rank smoked fish. But it has absolutely nothing to do with the original f'ing thread.
You sir have made a statement that insinuated I was endangering peoples lives by my method of smoking fish. I think you can see that I took it very personal. As it turns out it is strictly your opinion and not based upon any fact. You sir have stuck your foot in your mouth and, once caught, are trying to change the subject. I'd appreciate baseless opinions aimed directly at others be kept to yourself in the future. Thank you in advance.

#307872 - 08/14/05 03:45 PM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Baseless opinions? Very funny. If you don't like what I post thats tough cookies.
And I didn't insinuate you put people at risk of food posioning. I stated that very bluntly. And whether I'm right or not, you didn't seem to even stop to question yourself. If someone tells me I might be putting someone at risk, I at least check it out with an open mind. I don't stand back on my heels and react like a jackass.

It still amazes me we have someone here who has never had a cold, an ear infection, an infected cut, measles, mumps, chicken pox, pink eye, bronchitis, sinus infection, urinary tract infection, an abscess, influenza, or strep throat. You should donate your body to science.

#307873 - 08/15/05 11:23 AM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
There is one fact that stands out to me, but has not been mentioned. All of us brine our fish in some way, all of our brines must include some form of sodium, sodium is a cure. Highly salted meats have been in existance for centuries. It keeps away the nasty bacterias.

As to our product getting up to room tempurature. (68 degrees) I doubt there is an individual on this board that has allowed the "product" to become room temp while processing. With multiple fish to fillet I always use the two cooler method.

My fish comes from the fridge or freeze, is cut to size, and straight into the fridge for 24 hours in the "brine" (salt).

I let my fish stand for an hour + until the tacky film is formed. The fish is still cool and has not reached an internal room temp.

The smoker has been preheating while the tack has set up....Straight in it goes...Never had a problem, and highley doubt I ever will.

#307874 - 08/15/05 12:16 PM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Hey Vhawk, on the other forum you had posted that you were pissed because someone physically threatened you in front of the cops and the cops did nothing about it. I think we are seeing the other side of the story here. You have issues man. Deal with them on your own please.

#307875 - 08/15/05 12:21 PM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

RK your not keeping your fish out long enough to be a problem, but the amount of salt used in todays smoke recipes isn't enough to keep fish from spoiling.
As for using the two cooler method of processing big loads of fish, that just tells me your more careful then alot of people. I see too many people who are very careless with their fish. Like throwing a chromer on the bank to sit in the sun for 2 hours before they clean it out.
RK, the extra time and effort you spend processing your fish shows respect for your catch and the people you are feeding. Good job.

#307876 - 08/16/05 02:19 PM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

#307877 - 08/16/05 02:56 PM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
VHawk,

I have a big chief and I must have missed when you put your trays on the barque....1st or last....

#307878 - 08/16/05 03:25 PM Re: Smoke salmon how long?
fllyfishy Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup
Wow what a read. I am with RK, I think that the brine has a lot to do with the curing of the fish. I have been smoking fish for a few years with a big chief and cooking with smoke flavor on a weber kettle. I have never had a problem. I think that the preparation is the key, the better you care for your catch, the better the final product. I personally like a mix of Apple, alder and some times a little hickory. I love apple smoked chicken on the Weber.

I do not think that the little and big chief recipe books can be wrong and still be around. I followed there general guidelines for preparing my fish and (knock on wood) I have not had a problem. My three daughters love smoked fish and they have never had any problems either.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, wolverine), 1118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |