River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Oh yeah !!! Count me in guys !! I'll be there

#308086 - 08/03/05 09:34 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
Good job Team PP!

Kudos to B-Run for making it all the way from Idaho to brave Big Blue.....especially when you KNOW you will blow.

Showin' off the guns again I see there Doc. \:D

Ike

#308088 - 08/03/05 10:57 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanektok Kid:

Se ya nect year, and plan on staying for the picnic too.
Next year, the kiddies will be older, so I should be able to make the festivities next year. I missed out! \:\(

Nice meeting you KK - I was fully expecting a lot more shiat from you, but I guess you took pitty on me! \:D

I was really surprised to see that Doc is 6'6". He doesn't look nearly that big in his photos! Your a good guy Doc and was pleasure to finally meet you...

BrothersChin - without you and , I'd still be sulking at the dock! I owe you one, dude!

Actually, everone on the boat was pretty dang cool. I had a great time!

#308089 - 08/04/05 12:04 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
You know KK, I walked away from the best sea food feast I have ever seen and went with the wife into westport to eat the worst sea food dinner I ever had.. I won't make that mistake again. Those REDS you boys were getting ready to BBQ looked to die for, with Oysters and crab on the side.. what more could a guy ask for. But a promice is a promice and I told the wife I'd take her out.

My ribs sorta hurt, I think I sprained my side from yakking to much.. No problem, I have a year to get over it \:D

On another note, It was too cool to have Bob and Cory fly down from Alaska, really nice folks. Like somebody said " So what are you gonna do Bob.. ship your salmon up to Alaska "

#308090 - 08/04/05 01:02 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Believe it or not ... that was the first king I have actually caught myself in over a year. I can't fish with clients on board and w/o any days off to go playfishing ... I don't get much chance to wet a line for one anymore.

Gotta get a little R&R from our trip so I can get up at o'dark thirty in the morning in search of the silvers that aren't really here yet ... I'll get some more pix of the camera and post them shortly.

A fun time, nice to see some of the old faces and a few that I haven't had the opportunity to meet before \:\)

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#308091 - 08/04/05 08:59 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Sign me up for next year Stam.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#308092 - 08/04/05 10:36 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Quote:
Originally posted by Ike:

Showin' off the guns again I see there Doc.
They're more like starters pistols. At 4-foot something he just makes em look big. Just like that 19-pound king in his nancy-boy avatar. \:D

#308093 - 08/04/05 10:50 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Funniest part of the trip for me was when two banana peels

Thanks for driving Bucket, and by the way, did you get a Pacifico?? Did anyone see a Pacifico?

Last but certainly not least.......GRAHAM, you are on my shiat list, pal....... :p

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#308096 - 08/04/05 11:18 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Uh yeah, about those Pacificos....

They made it to Westport. But, they never made it out of the back of Sol's truck.

I heard that bottles were not allowed on the boat, so I left the Pacifico's in the truck. \:\( Of course, once I told Stam that on the boat, he mocked me heavily. With all the chaos on our side of the boat, bottles *would* have been a bad thing. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it! \:D

If any of you are in the Seattle area, they are all currently chilling in my beer fridge. \:D If I had a fridge at work, I'd keep them here. But I don't, so they are at home.

I'll make it up and just bring a pony keg and C02 system next year. I'm thinking some Maritime Pacific Flagship Red (dry hopped of course) will be a fine addition to the pre-funk festivities! 64 cold pints will go down well!

#308097 - 08/04/05 11:40 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Parker,
Hold on to the Pacifico's, you can bring them to Sol's birthday party--if he can decide when that might be.

#308098 - 08/04/05 12:04 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

My life's been one big birthday party. ;\)

#308099 - 08/04/05 12:15 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
BrotherChin Offline
Smolt

Loc: Rivers of Babylon
Parker, just remember that I came through in your time of need. Beer is one of the guarantees that I make from time to time and sometimes it seems just magical the way it works more often then not. Once they were cracked you Sol and I got about a third of the boats fish.

The one thing that suprised me the most was the lack of inflated egos. I figured there would be someone who would be unbearable besides myself but overall everyones company was just great. I got a little puffed up with myself when I filled TRBO's limit. \:D

#308100 - 08/04/05 12:58 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I just had to make sure you guys could really fish stam.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#308102 - 08/04/05 02:00 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
m_ray Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: East Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol_on_the_Duc:
Quote:
What kind of "bird" is that doin' a flyby in your gloryshot?
That's just my buddy, Mark Berry, coming to grips with his inadequacy as a fisherman. \:D ;\)

One of the days highlights for me was watching Bob sit through the morning "how to bait a hook" and the "don't adjust the drag" and the "don't set the hook" disertation in a demeanor that can only be described as *cool*. You're a class act, bud. \:\)
OK sol I'm finally rested enough to reply, I went straight to work from westport tuesday and worked 18 hrs in Camas the nextday. First off thats Chris in the photo ( you would know that if you came to the BBQ) but you got me, not on my game that day all I can say is I'll be back! I do have to bow down though I'm not worthy SOL was on fire! Thanks Stam I had a great time Thanks to everyone that helped with the BBQ, It was nice to meet everyone hope to do it again soon.

#308103 - 08/04/05 04:08 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

I'm convinced the "don't set the hook" disertation at the outset of these charters do everyone a disservice. You'll catch 10 times more salmon in the salt mooching hering by reacting when the bait is taken. Pay attention to those slack-line bites and get on-em immediately (right Doc ;\) ). If your rod-tip bobs lightly indicating, bite-in-progress, set the damn hook. I laugh my ass off when I hear "feed em line." The fish is down there chewing the **** out of your bait, jack it to em. The charter folks routinly say setting the hook pulls the bait out of the fishes mouth because their hooks suck. Take your own and make sure they're sharp (Owner cutting points all the way ).

If you're not getting biten, vary your decent and retreve speeds irratically and pause frequently. Those fish are milling around down there with 20+ some odd other baits and coutless real baitfish. Make yours stand out. I plenty of folks on the Fury Monday were keen to all this and still didn't do well. That happens. You can't kill em all the time. But I also saw alot of people going through the motions like they were bored especially as the day wore on. Parker on the other hand put three in the boat in the last hour because he worked at a fever pitch.

For what its worth, that's my post-mortem on the event. \:\)

#308104 - 08/04/05 04:23 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Quote:
Ike: Showin' off the guns again I see there Doc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOL: They're more like starters pistols

OK, I'll admit it.... I'm lost without my lead balls and custom FishFlash.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#308105 - 08/04/05 04:48 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
The real trick mooching herring is to be able to tell the difference between the drive by tail slap and the bite. The tail slap is why the charters tell you not to set the hook. Lighter and longer leaders with a 10' min pole length really help here. I have never used a leader above 15 lbs ( 20lbs main) or shorter than 6' and have landed fish up to the low 70lbs on light leaders. I have not been on a charter since the early 80's but back then they used 30# min for kings. Mooching is an art form and there are very few old farts left around that can really teach how to true mooch.

#308106 - 08/04/05 04:54 PM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Originally posted by fNp:

You guys better sign up for an eye exam!
Can you fix me up with some x-ray vision, Doc? I can put it to good use. \:D

#308107 - 08/05/05 12:43 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by Sol_on_the_Duc:
The charter folks routinly say setting the hook pulls the bait out of the fishes mouth because their hooks suck. Take your own and make sure they're sharp (Owner cutting points all the way. Parker on the other hand put three in the boat in the last hour because he worked at a fever pitch.
I'd like to point out that it wasn't my fever pitch that got me those fish - it was the beer. It's all about the beer. \:D

Ok, maybe never giving up might have had a *little* to do with it. I *never* give up. Ever. I will fish hard all day long and to the last minute.

Oddly, I missed all my fish on Owner Cutting Points. Probably was just coincidence, but I tagged all my fish on Vision 3/0-4/0 trailer combo's.

#308108 - 08/05/05 12:48 AM Re: Team PP Westport Results
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

I'm sure glad you fella's enjoyed all the beer!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FISH'N BRASS, jomat, Rollo, Venga, Warlock49766
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 450 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645447 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |