Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#311414 - 09/03/05 02:23 AM Ambassedeur Reels Suck
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

So I overlook the fact that most of em are kinda ugly (except the Morrum, she's pretty), and decide to give them a try. How unfortunate. Its been nothing but hassles. Drags are sticky right out of the box. Worm gears stop working and stack my line on one side of my reel. Clutch wont engage after its been put into freespool. What the hell is going on?

Anybody have any ideas on the worn out worm gear? All I ask is that the levelwind actually move when I reel. I was growing use to that reel (C3 6500). I don't expect it to be as smooth as a Calcutta TE, but am I expecting too much?

Yes, I break my reels down and clean them out when they've been exposed to some sand. I try and keep them off the beach and not dunk them.
Sometimes I take them to dinner and talk sweetly to them. I lie and tell them they are all pretty. AND STILL THEY WON'T PUT OUT. Ahhh. No more Abu Garcia for me.

vince

#311415 - 09/03/05 04:55 AM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Vinny,

They're all I use...and pretty much all I've used since 1979...always worked fine for me.

I have eleven of 'em, and take them all apart about 6 months at a time, and clean them down to the screws...no problems at this end.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#311416 - 09/03/05 08:28 AM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
Boone Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Kirkland, WA
I changed all mine out to Shimano Curado's and Castaic... glad I did.

#311417 - 09/03/05 09:31 AM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
Ambassadeurs are also all I use never had any problems beyond normal wear one reel I have is needing to be sent to Ollie Damons for a rebuild but I have used the shiat out of it for around 25 years \:D

#311419 - 09/03/05 01:16 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
Nightwatch Offline
Parr

Loc: seattle
Any suggestions on an abu repair man?

#311420 - 09/03/05 01:47 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
Ollie Damon in Portland or John's in Everett for most standard reels. If you have an old one or an unusual model, you can send it to the factory shop in Spirit Lake, Iowa. They can repair almost any Abu reel as they have a backlog of parts. They even built a 5000D (the old direct-drive model) for me out of parts...

Keith

#311421 - 09/03/05 02:37 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
If you don't like yours, you should toss it.....(my way). \:D

#311422 - 09/03/05 03:11 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Abu's are great reels. I would skip the repair man and just do it yourself. They are easy to break down and put back together. Nothing to it really. I keep the old ones for spare parts. Abu's won't last forever if you fish the salt, but they are inexpensive and easy to repair!
Neal

#311423 - 09/03/05 05:17 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
talljeeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
You ought to see the Japanese market Abu's...very sweet!

Vhawk they do take a little more adjustment and "feel" to set them right in comparison to other BC reels regarding casting. Also if you have a neww reel it will loosen up requiring some additional adjustment.

They are a good real with a wonderful history and reputation. Get out and practice with it using a rubber or plastic casting plug.

I'll tell ya another good value performer is the new Quantum line of BC reels. WOWEE they ae sweet.

#311424 - 09/03/05 06:26 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
fishgutz Offline
Smolt

Loc: puyallup
Take it to the Antique Fisherman. He has parts and also does repairs. The worm gear went out on mine and it turned out to be the little metal piece that feeds the line guide to the worm gear. I went to antique fisher man, across the street from buned out KC's Cabbose. The man had the parts on hand for 3 bucks, so I bought 3 more for back up on my other reels. Very cool Old guy, But said he is about ready to give it up. Highly recomended.
GOODLUCK.........

#311425 - 09/03/05 08:06 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Todd its good that you've foud a line of reels that work for you. I found a line of reels that have done nothing but disappoint me. Statistically, out of a thousand anglers someone is going to get 2 lemons in a row. Lucky me.

Talljeeper, casting plugs? I should whip you with a wet noodle. Your killing me. I can cast the Abu's just fine. Its the drag, the clutch, and the worm gear that are giving me problems on a couple of them.

Some people find casting plugs very useful. Some people also find buttplugs useful. At this moment in my life I can live comfortably without either. Honestly though, thanks for the advice. I'm just joking with ya.

I'll see about repairing the worm gear myself. The contacts y'all gave will help.

AuntyM, I'm with you. Even the lower end Shimano's have performed very reliably. I've got Ebay bids out on some Calcutta's. Fingers are crossed.

Vince

#311426 - 09/03/05 08:13 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
racerdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: longview
I agree Abu's suck. I couldnt get one to last one fall nook season. My cheap Shimano corsair has caught 50+ nooks and still smooth as glass.

#311427 - 09/03/05 09:59 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
Rockhopper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
I too have a problem with the casting button sticking. I sent in my 6500 C3 to Outdoor Emporium for repair and it came back fine with a hefty bill and not long after I started using it again I was utterly disappointed to find out that the problem had not been resolved at all. Anyone know what to do about it?

#311428 - 09/03/05 10:18 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
bank walker Offline
Spawner

I have 4 ambassaduers and love them. I purchased a new one about a year ago and have replaced the worm gear twice and just last week it was starting to wad line on one side....i added some iol and its fine for now. That worm gear thing is starting to piss me off
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#311429 - 09/03/05 10:30 PM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I've shifted to Shimanos over the years except I still use Ambassadeurs for salmon fishing......river and salt. My partner and I have talked often about quality control on the newer ambassadeurs (we've fished together over 25 years) and agree they are NOT like the older ones, both in parts and longevity.

That's not to say the newer ones don't work. I have a C3 6501 going on 7 years of hard saltwater use (with normal maintenance) but then my partner has a couple newer C3 5501's bought for river salmon that were both lemons right out of the box. Needless to say, they are permanently shelved.

So it's a crap shoot with the newer ones. By comparison, I have an "old version" 5001C that works as good as the day I bought it in 1982, though, it is semi-retired as a plug rod reel now.

At the least, if your that disgusted, take the reel back for a refund.

#311430 - 09/04/05 12:22 AM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
BigFin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Snohomish
I have been using Ambassedeur all my fishing life, back to the mid 60s. 2500c, 5000c, 6500c.
What you have to do is tear them down and put them together with very little oil and put powdered teflon on the drag washers and they will work great. I use the teflon on all my reel drags and it keeps the drag as smooth as it can be.

#311431 - 09/04/05 12:27 AM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
You caught how many. Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Ambassedeur reels are awesome. I love my curado, for throwing 1/4 inch pieces of lead. The ambassedeur reels have a much stonger drag, and it has never seemed very jerkey. Todd has it down though. It helps to clean them every 6 months. They are great reels, and they will last a lifetime if you take care of them. Give them a chance.

#311432 - 09/04/05 01:10 AM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I've been using Ambassadeur reels for years without major problems. Have been basically bullet-proof for me. Clean them periodically and wash them down each day after a trip on the saltchuck.

#311433 - 09/04/05 01:19 AM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
Quote:
They even built a 5000D (the old direct-drive model) for me out of parts...

Keith [/QB]
Eeeks I thought I was the only one that still owned one of these!

Nothing like a good knuckle smackin' on a cold winter's morning!

#311434 - 09/04/05 01:42 AM Re: Ambassedeur Reels Suck
Nightwatch Offline
Parr

Loc: seattle
It wasn't until I cleaned my ambassador that I ran into problems. That crumby little plastic trigger wore out. I think its an easy fix but if I took it to outdoor emporium they would probably charge me $50 for a one dollar part and a 15minutes of labor. I will head north. It was a good real and I didn't clean it once in three years but you all with your boats and downriggers probably use yours much more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 682 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |