THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319250 - 11/10/05 09:31 PM Re: What are these?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

BTW I got a number of different replies from the two boards about what this disease might be. Top three diagnoses were

1) Henneguya sp (cause of tapioca disease in the meat)

2) Myxobolus squamalis (salmon skin-pox as pictured above)

3) Furunculosis (another skin disease that looks more like boils than nodules)

The second one appears to be the correct diagnosis based on the picture I posted. I could not find any images of the actual organism itself, but Myxobolus cerebralis (the brain version of the bug) is what causes whirling disease.

Did a little more web-searching based on the clues KRM posted.

Henneguya spp is the bug responsible for tapioca disease. Easy to see how its spores could be mistaken for human sperm cells in those stool samples that he referenced in an earlier post.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#319251 - 11/10/05 09:50 PM Re: What are these?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Here's a pic of furunculosis caused by Aeromonas salmonicida

Pics did not quite come out full size, so here's the link:

web page

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#319252 - 11/10/05 10:01 PM Re: What are these?
KlausRMinnow Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everwet WA
That bottom set of pics is something I had never seen (went to the link too), that is some disturbing looking stuff.

#319253 - 11/11/05 08:20 AM Re: What are these?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

I've caught several coho over these last two seasons with Tapioca disease. Lucky me, huh?

Anybody notice that the muscle lesions appear to be concentrated towards the tail? I've been able to trim the first third of the infected fillets and not found any 'tapioca' spots. And I looked, I looked hard. I prefer not to eat smoked pus.

#319254 - 11/11/05 12:53 PM Re: What are these?
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Both of these guys had puss pockets along the lateral line, and towards the tail.
The were both marked by pinnipeds Vs. Seems odd for them to pass on an eazy meal. Perhaps they sense something?

#319255 - 11/11/05 01:01 PM Re: What are these?
KlausRMinnow Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everwet WA
I am still curious as to why there seems to be an increase in the irregularities in fish over the past decade. It is in wild and hatchery fish so it is not something in the feed as smolt.

A long time back when they were talking about putting Atlantic Salmon in Pass lake, people were concerned about them escaping to the salt and spreading disease unique to Atlantic Salmon.

Well they have not escaped from Pass lake... but they have escaped in the thousands from net pens all over WA, OR, and CA. Any relation?

#319256 - 11/11/05 10:28 PM Re: What are these?
janabike Offline
Smolt

Loc: JNU/KTN (summer) SEA off seaso...
We saw a huge increase in the number of Coho's with this type of lesion in the KTN area this fall season.

I also had numerous (20 +) sockeye caught while trolling that were covered by the cysts. They were so unhealthy looking that we set them loose.
(after the first one)

The one I did keep was basically an entire "pus pocket" when I attempted to clean it.

Definately something is going on.

Joe

#319257 - 11/11/05 10:37 PM Re: What are these?
buzzerbaby Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Longview, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by slabhunter:
Both of these guys had puss pockets along the lateral line, and towards the tail.
The were both marked by pinnipeds Vs. Seems odd for them to pass on an eazy meal. Perhaps they sense something?
I volunteer at the Kalama hatchery occasionally and probably 80% of the steelhead we get back have seal marks (golden arches) on 'em. I imagine the seals miss an awful lot more than they catch, still too many imho.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1021 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |