Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#329903 - 01/29/07 03:56 PM Last days of duck season
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
Well my last three days have been tough but good. Started off wednesday night drinking way too much with some friends who gave me a birthday party... this put me in a hole from which i was struggling to climb out of almost all weekend. Left mid day thursday and was planning on scoutin that evening. That dinner locate me any huntable birds but I was able to find a spot where i could watch 15-20K birds on a refuge. Decided to go walk a creek that leads about 2 miles back into one of my favorite quail spots that gets ignored by almost everyone else...Usually i can find a couple ducks to jump along the creek but it was empty. bout a 4 miles trek with nothing to show for it... my hunt was starting off pretty poorly. No ducks to hunt and i felt like ****.

So friday i head out about an hour away from my normal haunts and set up in a little bay. i forget my phone in the truck and have no idea when it is shooting light. At what seems like 630 some shooting starts in the distance and i have ducks in the decoys. Nice flights of 15-30 birds working in and finishing tight. I wait until it is light enough to see and start picking off drakes. A double to start, then 1 out of a nice group and i am thinking i will take my time with the nice flights of birds working. Well i shoot a couple more to get to 5 total when everything up and dies... no flights, no wind and i am sitting there finding out that my left leg of my waders has a hole in it... But my head isnt hurting too badly at this point. So the flight dies for about 20 minutes then a small group appears in the distance. I am able to work a pair off the group and they bomb down into the decoys offering a nice right to left shot on the outer edge of the decoys. I pull up and dump the drake and finally I have band number two for the year. A fairly old band 2367 series without the 1800 number on it. I think its 5+ years old. jberry shot a bird 4 years ago that is 40 numbers off. Well i finally get bird 7 quite awhile later and head back to the my godfathers house to get some rest.

The next morning jberry and I head for the same spot with limited expectations seeing how the flight had died the day before. Well it never started on saturday and we left rather quickly with only 2 greenheads and a goose that i missed at 15 yards, Jon wing tipped at 20 and Madison made a great retrieve on totalling about 400 yards. We were not stellar... until about 12 when we went and joined a friend down in tri-cities. He was hunting alone and having some sporadic action. working hard and having few birds to show for it. We joined in and set out our 2 spinners to augment his spread. The birds were flying high and not interested in our location for the most part but we were able to pull some groups down, including a group of 5 bull cans. Jon and i were able to each pick one off. 2 great birds and the first can i have ever shot. man do they move fast It wasnt hot and heavy action but between great stories we were able to limit out just before 4 oclock.

Sunday we werent too excited about going back out but it was the last day of the season so we figured we probably would regret it if we decided to stay home. Up at 330 and craving more sleep I joined Jon for one last trip down to tri-cities to hunt the same spot as the previous day. Met up with B and S for a last day hunt. The morning started off slowly with a few ducks here and there. I think we had 17 by 11:00. Some nice flights of pintails in an area that we dont usually see them but not many mallards and no more cans. About every 15 minutes a few birds would trickle by and peak our interest. Most of the time they would just keep going but occasionally a couple would dump in and we could open up. Often taking the first shot at a lone drake ahead of the flocks because of how unpredictable the birds had been. 1 by 1 we inched towards 28. The BS was flying around all morning with good laughs which i am sure probably cost us a couple opportunities as we listened more to stories about slump busters from highschool than we watched the skies for ducks.

Well at 1:00 a nice group of birds finished well for us. we were able to drop 4 drake out of it with one sailed bird that Madison sniffed out of the brush about 300 yards away.

With one to go things got remarkably silent as well all watched the sky. A solid half hour passed with not a damn thing in the air. At 130 some flights picked up and passed over us with oxygen tanks... 4 guys screaming on calls, pulling 4 spinners and 1 lone bird peals out and dives down into the spread... a nice drake mallard to finish off a great year.

a very tough weekend but a satisfying one for all of us. tough hunting but we got our birds including a band and a first for me with the drake can. a great time in the blind.

#330037 - 01/29/07 11:14 PM Re: Last days of duck season [Re: D3Smartie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
That's some good hunting. Better than the merganser I dropped Sunday. ;\) Oh well, I save a few thousand salmon and steelhead fry.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#330047 - 01/30/07 12:03 AM Re: Last days of duck season [Re: Dogfish]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
1 merg??? RB, common or Hooded?
Hopefully we get our 5 merg limit next year. That could be good.

#330318 - 01/31/07 03:21 PM Re: Last days of duck season [Re: D3Smartie]
NOFISH Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Thanks for taking the time to post D3S......NOFISH only got a chance to get out once after the opener and NOFISH hit the deep freeze in the CB and didn't see a bird in two days.....had a fairly decent pheasant year compared to others.

Hopefully next year will bring more hours in the blind to NOFISH....(I think I like that Brewer-dude )

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#331685 - 02/06/07 09:38 PM Re: Last days of duck season [Re: NOFISH]
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
Nice post D3. Glad you had a good season.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (skyrise, steely slammer), 665 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |