THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#340721 - 03/19/07 01:07 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Irie]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Ever seen a Gun show Goof with an array of Military Patches on his custom Camo that just leaves you scratching your head. He has a 1 st Cav patch and a CIB ( with jump wings) a Special forces Group patch.. a Ranger Patch.. and is all of say 35 years old ( and was not born when these patches were handed out let alone earned any of them ) On his pocket, he has a " Master Glock Target aquisition Expert " patch.. WTF is that and who gives them out ??

These guys are a blast to F-with

" So.. as a fetus you were in Nam then joined the Marines, but not until you became a jump master in the Special forces and skipped Kindergarten to go to Ranger School ??"

Your a Baaaadddd Man alright.

#340730 - 03/19/07 01:30 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
B-run,

I also enjoy bagging on the "Tacticool" guys. Nice to see we agree on something. ;\) There are also the guys that I refer to as FUDD gunners (as in Elmer Fudd). These guys only fire two or three rounds a year in practice, hit the paper plate set up at 25 yards, and call it good.

I usually shoot 500 to a thousand rounds a year, in different rifles and handguns, so that when the shot arises I'll be able to hit my mark. Usually I'll get out 2 or 3 days a month to practice, sometimes more.

The 30 round mags don't work so well at the bench and the woods, because of their length, so I tend to gravitate to the 10 and 20 rounders. The 10 rounders (.223/5.56) will hold only 3 rounds of my .458 SOCOM, so while it looks large, its just because the round is so large that it stacks single file instead of staggered like a .223 round. Some folks will even go so far as to take a proven reliable mag and insert a pop rivet to limit the number of rounds the mag can hold for hunting.

Heck, I can even get a 20 round mag for my Remingtion 740 auto-loader, if I want, but I'm happy with the 4 rounders I have. I did switch out the wood stock to plastic, as I hunt in the rain, and the old stock my grampa had on it was dinged, scratched, cracked and dented.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#340737 - 03/19/07 01:46 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
There was this one guy in Seattle named Keith Gilbert who clamed to be a Veitnam Vet. He liked to wear camo and wear the POW-MIA type pins. He was a real gun nut. He sold AK-47 parts kits online, and showed off his arms collection on the internet.

Well it turned out that he had dodged the Veitnam draft and spent the time trying to blow up Civil Rights activists--especially one named Martin Luther King Jr. He served a lengthy prison sentance for that one. After he got out of prison, he went up to Hayden Lake where he was kicked out for being too fanatical. He eventually ended up as a hired goon for a Seattle Slum Lord and was known for sicking his dogs on little black children and also trying to run them over with his car. And also changing his tenant's locks and requiring a $300 "neighborhood association membership" to get their new keys.

Online, his persona was that of a patriotic disabled War Vet, an upstanding citizen, yada yada... turns out his "Parts Kits" were actual smuggled full auto AK's from Russia that had just been disassembled to make them look legal. When he finally got busted, all this stuff came out about him. He was one of those Gun Show Bubbas that wore the camo & patches. Damn glad I never ordered those parts from him.

#340754 - 03/19/07 02:44 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Irie]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
I think the focus of this thread was intened to be about the rifle and not the guy behind it. Range and shot placement should be the concern.

I have an SKS but I have never hunted with it because I have much better options of range and accuracy in my gun safe. I think I could hunt deer with it but I would limit my shots to muzzleloader type ranges and handload some nice cartriges for the job. I would feel like camo goon walking around with it in the woods though.

j7 2012

#340862 - 03/19/07 10:06 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

B-Run, am I supposed to think you are one of the millions of jackasses out there in a store bought tree stand coughing through your shiny new fart silencer in scent proof clothes with doe in heat scent sprayed all over your fat body, which is covered head to toe in some kind of trendy camo ?

There are a lot of a-holes in this world, some in almost every crowd, most crowds are wholey made up of them in my opinion...

I own a couple of rifles with custom barrels and stocks, own a couple handfulls of factory rifles, handload all of my own ammo, use a chronograph and some knowledge of ballistics to make drop charts for my rifles, and have target turrets which can put the crosshairs on the point of impact to way on out there if I choose, all so I can shoot water jugs and rocks...

I don't have any military crap, swords, throwing stars, numchucks, rebel flags, ear rings, tatoos, 30 round clips, or whatever else you seen me with in your dream................

I do stand 6'2", weigh 210-220 lbs, and cut timber in the Coast Range more or less 7 days a week, any fat that I can keep on is well enough placed not to bother your eyes................

P.S. I am a contractor who gets paid only for what I get done, not a clock punching bagdragger, so if you happen to know some fat lazy cutters, there really isn't much to compare.

Now, I don't expect an apology, but I think we'd all be better off if you'd stop bragging about your ignorance.

#340871 - 03/19/07 10:22 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Oregonian]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

P.P.S.
I happen to agree with you that some of the new style tricked out muzzle-loaders defeat the intended purpose of the special hunting seasons, and are probably more appropriate in the general rifle seasons..........some parallels could probably drawn with archery too, but I don't feel qualified to make the determinations.

I have killed deer and elk with both rifle and archery equipment, in case I need to clarify that.

#340876 - 03/19/07 10:40 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Oregonian]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow... This has gone in an interesting direction.

Generalizations and stereo types can be dangerous. Let's try to keep this from getting anymore personal then it already has.

#340889 - 03/19/07 11:14 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Negative on the 404, but am guilty of getting all the way down to a 28" bar ! Logging has morphed into tree farming, which is undoubtedly better for the fish than splashdam logging !

We still wack a big one every now and then, I even posted some pics to mixed reviews on here once.

#340896 - 03/19/07 11:30 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Big_Daddy
Wow... This has gone in an interesting direction.

Generalizations and stereo types can be dangerous. Let's try to keep this from getting anymore personal then it already has.

Thanks for allowing me to speak my piece, I imagine we are headed in a better direction...

#340916 - 03/20/07 12:25 AM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
B-Run still uses woven linen line when he fishes and ties his flies with the pubic hair of virgins....keep on with your agenda B-Run you do all hypocrites well...

To answer the original question military rifles can and do make fine hunting rifles regardless of color or appearance...as stated before caliber and ballistics are more important than a puritans assesement of suitability...

RVW

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#340927 - 03/20/07 02:21 AM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: B-RUN STEELY
Its been my personell experiance that gun guys and guys who hunt or not the same type of person. A gun guy is a fat SOB who seldom goes hunting but can tell you all about it all day. A hunting guy will talk about hunting, and never even mention what type of gun he was using.. because it really don't matter.

Why do I care so much about this type of post. Easy.. As a Hunter I feel the biggest threat to my right to own fire arms is in fact the small fanatical group of Dickweed " Gun Guys" who bitch and whine about stupid gun stuff that has nothing to do with hunting, or in anyway represent the vast majority of gun owners in the USA.

i totaly agree with you on that.

i go to the range with a friends dad, him and his buddie have been hunting sence the 70's, between the both of them they have shot 2 deer.

they are all about guns, and target shooting. they only hunt for the experience of getting drunk and shooting off their semi auto assault weapons during hunting season. they will start convo's about hunting then quickly turn them into well my 223 will out shoot your 7mm and my 30-06 is a much better gun for hunting then your 243. if you are gonna hunt with a 243 you need to have at least this many rounds in the gun, type conversations.

with not logic on hunting at all, they look at every huntin situation as if they were at the range with their buddies just shooting off 30 rounds at a time.

i made the mistake of going hunting with them once. it was late hunt. the best time of the season imo, bunch of guys out trying their hardest to fill their tags.
we were at a clearcut and seen a spike about mid way in the clearcut. and they all decided it would be a fun game to see who could shoot it first. and it was sickening. 10 rounds through that deer out of 3 guns. all of which were semi auto 30-06's. then for the next year they bragged about how that deer dropped dead in its tracks and they were the best hunters/shots in the woods. W/E end of story its pissing me off. just an idea of some peoples ideas of what huntin is.

i really dont mind the "gun guys". and to me military rifles are ok for hunting. to a certain point. obviously a ak47 with a 20 round clip is just retarded. or some super sniper rifle is just to rediculous in some cases. i know i dont really like to see guys walking around with ak's and sniper rifles when im out busting brush or walking through some timber.

but in certain cases they are fine.

i know that its all to temping to just open up on a deer in the brushif oyu have a semi auto, or take rediculously long shots if you have a sniper rifle.

example. my uncle, he has been hunting sence the 60's shoots a browning 30-06 semi auto, 5 rounds clips. he will shoot the entire clip at a deer, even if the first shot hits. last year he used is winchester blot action 30-06 and missed a deer. he drove the hours back to the house to get his semi auto that way he wouldnt miss. NOW in that case he would not be someone that should be hunting with a semi auto military rifle. the opporunity to put more rounds in a clip would just be scary for him to have. wether legal or not.

now my dad is all about accuracy, and i have never seen him take more then 2 shots at a deer ever, either he misses and shoots again or he misses and just lets the deer take off. he shoots a enfield 303 british with 10rounds clips, sure he could put 10 rounds in it, even though not legal. but he only puts 1 round in at a time. NOw in his case i wouldnt care if he used an ak 47 or a single shot ruger no.1

it all on the person shooting the gun, and their hunting ethics.

some people are ok with semi auto's, and some people shouldnt even be allowed to touch a gun, and they are still out hunting which really bugs me.

each person get their own views and opinions on this subject, and in their own way they feel they are right.

#341004 - 03/20/07 02:40 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Deerslayer,

I've changed over to a muzzle loader (ML) because of the one shot hunt. It makes you become a better hunter. There were other reasons, too. Got my first elk that way, plus 3 more, and I've taken 7 deer with them as well.

That said, I always make it a point to take some sort of game with every rifle I own. Coyotes and bobcats are my primary game of choice that I'll go after with my AR. Once I get my new .458 upper, I'll take it out for deer, and possibly elk.

I've also hunted with guys who use bolt guns that are slobs. My second reason for changing over to ML was that some guy on a landing above me decided to check out who I was, using the scope attached to his bolt action rifle. I was none too pleased.

Like you said, it is all about the person and their ethics, not the gun.

#341007 - 03/20/07 02:50 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Dogfish]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

I have been a fanatical hunter all my life.
It is all about the hunt , the wildlife & the outdoors.
My gun or bow is just a tool.
I like the most precise tool I can get, but I don't really obsess over it.
I also understand that the second ammendment has absolutley nothing to do with hunting.

#341009 - 03/20/07 02:59 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Salmonella]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
B-Run, am I supposed to think you are one of the millions of jackasses out there in a store bought tree stand coughing through your shiny new fart silencer in scent proof clothes with doe in heat scent sprayed all over your fat body, which is covered head to toe in some kind of trendy camo ?

Wow.. you must be able to see into my living room..

I guess you make a valid point.. Gaget guy is a hunter and he can wear my ass out ass well. Some years ago, a dumbass I have hunted with bought one of those self climbing tree stands. He got like 25 feet up in a tree and was too scared to come down.. " I can't come up and get ya so I guess we will just leave ya here and say howdy to your skeleton next year.. are you coming down or what ??"

#341337 - 03/21/07 08:38 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
fishpinner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Freeland, WA
I understand what some of you are saying, but I don't agree that any type of gun should be legal as long as you are hunting in season. Maybe that gun should be legal to own, but not to hunt with. By your rationale, why can't I drive around in the woods in a tank blowing up animals, as long as I have a tag? Because it is unsportsmanlike, and it is dangerous to the general public. I don't know enough about guns to say what is and isn't sporting, but there should be some sort of regulation on what is allowable.

However, following the logic of Indians being allowed to net rivers, they should be allowed to use whatever gun, cannon, or bomb they want for hunting. They should be able to use boobie traps, hidden pits with spikes in the bottom, and steel claw bear traps to kill game animals and leave them rotting for a while.

#341366 - 03/21/07 11:43 PM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: fishpinner]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Fishpinner,

These firearms fire the same rounds, or projectiles, at the same speed as traditional bolt action rifles. Some have more power, .458 SOCOM, while others have less, 7.62x39. These rifles just look different. Internally, they work just the same.

So should folks be able to own cars that look fast? Or should they be outlawed because of what someone might do with them? Speed and alcohol when mixed with fast cars kills many more people each year.

#341375 - 03/22/07 12:01 AM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Dogfish]
fishpinner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Freeland, WA
Thanks for the explanation, Dogfish. I guess I don't think they should be outlawed, but I do think it would be smart of hunters to not use them. Perception is reality, and if non-hunters see dudes carrying around guns that look like machine guns, they will have a worse view of hunting in general. Some of you say you don't care what the average person thinks, but that is a short-sighted point of view. If gun control initiatives are proposed and you have alienated the public, they will become law and you won't be able to do a thing. I don't know anything on the subject other than what I've read in this thread, so please educate me if I'm missing something here.

#341387 - 03/22/07 12:24 AM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: fishpinner]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

At some point people with good sense are going to be in the minority, at that point following the wishes of the majority will not make sense...i.e. gun control. Going through life worring what some idiot might think about you is not much better than being pussy-whipped..........

#341399 - 03/22/07 12:59 AM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Oregonian]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

So if I carry a firearm that looks like a sniper weapon I need to be wary of what they'll think? Shotguns are scary to some folks, as are pistols. Should I give those up too? Why do I need to be like everybody else? What you are suggesting is called becoming one of the SHEEPLE. (SHEEP + PEOPLE) I don't care to be one of the flock. I am trying to educate folks.

There are lots of people who don't fish, they drive sensible cars that have trouble doing 0-60 in a minute, and they eat bean curd like I eat meat. Do I need to do as they do, and dress like them too? I don't want to drive a 1972 VW van and protest for nuclear free zones. Hopefully you enjoy being different.

I blame the media for the perception of what folks call "assault rifles", and every time I see it misrepresented, I write to them to correct them. The media is not accurate by any account. They bend the facts to meet their needs so they can sell papers, airtime, and commercials.

The priveledge to hunt and the right to keep and bear arms are two entirely different subjects. If you give them one gun, they'll keep on going until they get them all. The anti gun folks tell the sheeple that they'll still be able to hunt, "So just give us those black guns. Oh, while you're at it, give the pistols and other semi autos to us too." That's what they did in Australia. That's what they'll do here too, if the sheeple bow to them.

Don't be a sheep.

#341435 - 03/22/07 11:58 AM Re: Are military style firearms suitable for hunting? [Re: Dogfish]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Well said dogfish,

I would just like to add aliitle to that and bring an example close to the PNW. Remember when baiting and hound hunting were banned for bear and cougar. Most of the SHEEPLE probably never heard or saw any of theses hunting methods until it hit the media airwaves. It envoked a sympathy vote becaus it became graphicaly and visualy violent to them. The SHEEPLE are not biologists and should not be making these types of decisions. The anti gun crowd is doing them same thing by shinning the spot light on the most horrfic and sad gun crimes to envoke sympathy for the victim on a nation wide scale. It is real easy to sway someone when they compelled to make decisions when there emotions are set into sad react mode.

Wheter you are a hunter, a shooter, collector etc etc. We need to be firm in our beliefs and not be easily swayed like the SHEEPLE. If we could come up with some ideas, money, and organization witout coruption we stand a great chance. I think this is what the NRA was supposed to be before it became a corupt political lobbyist group.

Back to the miltary style firearm hunting. What would you guys think if the magazines capacitites were restricted to 5 or 6 rounds for hunting only. I wouldn't see the difference between a browning semi auto in .308 that could hold 5 rounds and a HK semi auto in .308 with the same capacity other than apperance.

j7 2012

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |