LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#340648 - 03/19/07 01:35 AM How do W. WA bass think?
semago Offline
Fry

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Hey I live in Gig Harbor and specifically at Crescent lake I can only catch the bigger large mouth bass on Senkos. No matter the other lure choice I will only catch smaller bass with fast paced and flashier lures such as crankbaits, spinners, and topwaters. Can anybody explain this to me and the difference between Western Washington Bass and the Bass in the south? I realize W.WA bass prefer finesse fishing tactics. But does anybody really know why they prefer this? Do they realize a flashy lure is out of place in their lake? If not why do they turn down a noisy and vibrant meal? Anyways please get back to me it has stumped me for a while. Thanks

#340651 - 03/19/07 01:40 AM Re: How do W. WA bass think? [Re: semago]
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
Maybe it's just the lake your fishing, I have not had this problem.

#340673 - 03/19/07 10:25 AM Re: How do W. WA bass think? [Re: BASSER]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Semago -
I think it comes down to 3 major factors -
1) Clear water. Many of our waters are much clearer than those in the mid-west/South. In many of the lakes I fish the visibility can often exceed 10 feet. The bass get a really good look at the lure so we see alot fewer "reaction bites".

2) Fishing pressure. In many of our natural lakes there are relatively few bass. It is not uncommon for there to be only 1 or 2 bass over 12 inches long per acre. In addition these fish are much slower growing than in waters to the South. In Washington the average might 5 years for a largemouth bass to reach 12 inches. Doesn't take much pressure on a population of fish that is both old and has a low abundance to "wise-up" the fish. 25 years ago a white spinner-bait was a near universal bait - you could catch a respectable bag with one on nearly any water in the state.

3) Different food sources. On many of the waters to the south and midwest shad are a major food source. Also because of the slow growth of the bass fish such as the sunfish aren't really available to the bass to any large degree. As a result the major food sources are such things as crawfish, sculpins, and salmonids.

Just my thoughts
Tight lines
Curt

#340731 - 03/19/07 01:30 PM Re: How do W. WA bass think? [Re: Smalma]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Oxygen levels and Colder temps can also make the bigger ones more sluggish. Also most lakes up here the Bass are fed by the WDFW generous helpings of Kokanee and Trout plants.

#340760 - 03/19/07 03:16 PM Re: How do W. WA bass think? [Re: Irie]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
We dont have a lot of largemouth over here on the east side. I have noticed that the smallmouth act simmilar to what you have described. It seems the larger bass hang out under the small fish and wait for easier larger pieces of food to fall. If you can get a jig or crank bait to them before a small one grabs it then you might get a couple of bigger fish. I'm guessing that the larger fish you have caugth are because you made it past the barage of smaller aggressive fish.

Its to bad we cant fish live bait fish here in WA. In Michigan it was fun to catch some little 3" to 4" sunfish or bluegill and put single hook right throught the back and hang them down about 3' to 4' below a big red an white bobber. Some times you get somem big bass that you could put both of your fists in the mouth. Some times you rope into a big ass pike or channel cat.

j7 2012

#340867 - 03/19/07 10:12 PM Re: How do W. WA bass think? [Re: j 7]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
I live in Olalla and whenever I fish creasent lake I only caught the big ones on senkos too, my brother got an 8lb bass out of there last year, biggest bass Ive ever saw but mabye try flipping into the lily pads on the left corner of the lake with a texas rig and tube or ribbon tail on a hot dayi n summer. I do believe it might be a little early right now, then again my buddy caught his first one of the year on a purple and black jig and he lives in gig harber. I startto fish them when they are spawning but that doesnt usually start untilthe water gets to 60-65F. should come around mid April to early May

#340944 - 03/20/07 09:08 AM Re: How do W. WA bass think? [Re: Queets guy]
semago Offline
Fry

Thanks for the help. This has cleared up a few things for me. With the finesse fishing style of the sorrounding lakes. Is there any other lures you think I could get away with using besides grubs? I just got a new Black/White Zara spook that is about 4 inches long. I'm ready to give that a try. I imagine it won't be useful for a good while though. Early May? If I go fishing in a few weeks seems I should fish the mid-depth lines around 15-10 feet?

#341043 - 03/20/07 06:16 PM Re: How do W. WA bass think? [Re: semago]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
The zara spooks are really good but its too coldfor a fish to hit the topwater but tube jigs with a nose cone r really good early in the year. Jigs are my personal fav for all year bass, they produce really big fish and lots of them. Add a crawfish plastic trailer on there (also known as the jig and pig) and you will havegreat success, fishing baits really slow this time of year produces alot of hits rather than swimming you baits too. Good luck

#341166 - 03/21/07 12:27 AM Re: How do W. WA bass think? [Re: Queets guy]
semago Offline
Fry

I have never used a Jig and Pig. I always use a Jig and put some sort of plastic grub on the end as a substitute. You think that will due? What colors do you use on your jigs and trailers? Any scent?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Sidedrifter, 1 invisible), 1424 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |