THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#343771 - 04/01/07 06:34 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Chum Man]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
ChumMan : So far your only bad is the use of pejorative terms on those with whom you disagree.

You might change more minds with more facts and less insults.

#343803 - 04/01/07 08:19 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Yeah Chum Man, what's your prob with fly fishermen? Are you manual dexterity challenged or something?

The wild steelhead issue has become a pretty simple one if you look at a little history. I've been steelheading over 35 years. When I began, there were harvestable wild steelhead in 160 or more WA rivers, according to the state. Now it's down to 10 or 12 on the OP, and several of those aren't meeting escapement on a consistent basis. Not killing wild steelhead costs me nothing, and maybe helps a run meet its escapement goal that otherwise might not.

Sound science is nothing more than the systematic advancement of human knowledge. There's no mystery. What science supports the idea that killing wild steelhead is good management?

Don't know what your fly fishing bias is about, but FYI, the NF Stilly became the state's first fly fishing only river in 1940. Fly fishermen regularly killed the wild steelhead they caught there into the 1980s. And that was probably for too long, as the population crashed in the late 1960s and early 70s, mainly for habitat reasons I believe. The upshot is that fly fishermen weren't so far in the lead of other gear types as far as recognizing the benefits of not killing wild steelhead.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#343809 - 04/01/07 08:30 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Salmo g.]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Salmo g., I could go check the regs, but I'm lazy and they are not here with me. Concerning the N. Fork Stilly.....(forgive me if I bobble this, it's been a long time since I fished it)...was a fly fishing only water in the summer season only as I recall. It certainly may have changed, but it seems to me I remember fishing it a few times in the Winter for steelhead, but with conventional gear. Am I mistaken?

#343811 - 04/01/07 08:33 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Salmo g.]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
I let them all go, heck, I even throw back good hatchery fish once in a while if I don't feel like taking it home. As long as it is "legal" people are going to kill them. Ethical, well you know one man's ceiling is another man's floor. The rules need to be changed.

#343816 - 04/01/07 08:40 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
For some preverse reason decided to check this discussion - got to love when folks shoot from their hips. Why do folks believe so many myths?

Sol Duc -
Let's how does a 1 wild fish per day and 5 per year from a coastal region that has been determined to have healthy populations sound?

That would be the Oregon Coast and wild (un-clipped) steelhead are legal to harvest on the Checto, Elk, North Umapqua, main Umaqau, Rogue, Sixes and a couple smaller streams under the above regulations. Sound familar?

BTW - Do so many of you feel that there should be no harvest of wild steelhead because the resource is in trouble or that releasing wild fish has the potential of inceasing fishing opportunity?

If you feel the resource is in trouble I would suggest that you serious consider your impact on the resource as you catch and release dozens of fish a year. If one truly believed that was the case concern anglers would be limiting the wild fish catches (say less than 10/year).

Tight lines
Curt

#343819 - 04/01/07 08:58 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Smalma]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
I'd like to know how many times this question has been brought up on the board...

#343820 - 04/01/07 09:02 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Come on TBJ, I was *really* hoping this was an April Fools Joke. I really don't want to hear of any wild fish being whacked, let alone 2 bigguns.

But, I'm sadly learning that it's probably not a joke.

Damn. Now I'm bummed.

#343821 - 04/01/07 09:11 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Smalma]
1bighog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia
How many of you are actually catching and releasing dozens (12,24,36) wild steelhead per year??? I know it's some, but I bet the majority of recreational fisherman only catch a few. Maybe that just makes me feel better about my steelhead inabilities. I would still prefer if the thousands of these fisherman release that one fish, instead of killing it. I'm no math genius, but 1000's of fisherman releasing that one fish, Um..How many fish still in the system is that??

Each year, I may catch a few wild steelhead and they will always be released, which I can thank this site primarily for molding that view early in my steelheading adventures.

Geez...I ramble on the Vicadin and Hefeweizen combo. Kalama report from today still to come

#343833 - 04/01/07 09:46 PM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: TBird]
roguedrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: The Rogue River
 Originally Posted By: TBird
Yup.. One wild steelhead a year is a bitchin idea if you think about it! Either you can cheat the system by bonking way more than your one alotted fish, and be a total outlaw, OR you get one fish to keep for your whole season.. That sounds sooooo totally worth it! Just put em back, it's really not that hard to comprehend if you think about it..
On the rivers I fish here in Oregon you can keep 1 wild fish per day but only 5 per year, I know of no rivers that are 1 a year.

#343899 - 04/02/07 01:05 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: roguedrifter]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.

This will probably kill the thread, sorry about that, just a warning of what is to come.

I am probably going to go to the big no no land with this one, but here goes.

Ladies and Gentlemen we are not the only folks using this wild steelhead resourse, and maybe it is time that the other folks stepped up to the plate and pitched in. There is no question in my mind that all the fishing done by sportsmen in these rivers cannot even come close to the damage done by the nets. Would nt it be nice if we all layed off for a few years to see what the rivers could really produce. I am positive that wdfg surely does not know. I would not want to affect someones religion so I guess I would go along with cerimonial fishing for tribal needs. Maybe the sportsmen could also fish for say two weeks C/R only. I guess I would not claim lost opporitunity for being flooded out. Of course this whole subject should be revisited in say five years to access levels of stock and determine maybe how many fish should be taken to leave the resorce in super shape.

Since we could never get the tribal fishermen/netters to go along with this I guess it is just a beautiful dream eh. My 2 cents wasted.

Edited by N W Panhandler (04/02/07 01:05 AM)

#343902 - 04/02/07 01:15 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: N W Panhandler]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Slab,

Yeah, that's fly only during the summer season, not the winter. Sorry about my lack of clarity.

Sg

#343918 - 04/02/07 01:51 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Smalma]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
 Originally Posted By: Smalma

If you feel the resource is in trouble I would suggest that you serious consider your impact on the resource as you catch and release dozens of fish a year. If one truly believed that was the case concern anglers would be limiting the wild fish catches (say less than 10/year).

Tight lines
Curt

You 10% of the anglers that catch 90% of the fish should hang up your rods for good. Maybe then I can catch a steelhead as it seems like years since I have.

#343939 - 04/02/07 04:48 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: TBJ]
Devilsadvocate Offline
Parr

First I would like agreeing with Mr. Vedder. This is a forum to express our opinions in a civil manner and I apologize for the comments of hatred that I expressed earlier. That said, let me finish, well maybe not finish seeing as how it is almost 1:30 am and I just got home. Dave I appreciate your comments, we may have a difference of opinion but that does not mean that I have any hatred of any sort towards you or any one else based on their opinions.
As far as hatchery reform is concerned I think we as fishermen and as people who do truly care for our Wild salmonid populations need to not just to talk about reform but to some how purposes and take action in some way or another to actually do something that will help out in our current wild salmon/steelhead populations. I am sure that you all have different opinions on what should be done to help save the wild fish that we currently have left and this is for an up coming post, not this one. This however is a different topic that I would love to start so that we as a whole can actually help the fish as oppose to argue whether it is right to harvest the ones that we currently have or to let them go. I hope to finish this post tomorrow seeing as how it is now bed time, good night and happy fishing to all.

#343946 - 04/02/07 09:51 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Chum Man]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
 Originally Posted By: Chum Man
you guys have turned into a bunch of fly fishermen i think ;\)

and that's supposed to be an insult?

#343948 - 04/02/07 09:58 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Devilsadvocate]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
 Originally Posted By: Devilsadvocate
There will be more to come later when I have more time to fully express my opinion. I know for a fact that the majority of the people on this site will hate me for what I am about to say and for your information I really do not care what you think about me. I personally refuse to fish during hatchery fish season because I hate hatcheries and the majority of the people who fish during that time of year. YES I KILL WILD STEELHEAD! Why you ask? Well for many reasons. Fortunately I live in an area where you can still legally HARVEST one actual steelhead a year (by law). I use the term actual steelhead because I do not consider those fake cookie cutter rudderless fish that the state waists larges sums of your money on every year, steelhead. Hatchery practices to day are doing more harm to your precious wild steelhead than I am by harvesting a few fish out of the rivers. It is the fishermen that fish for these stupid hatchery fish, and thinks that hatcheries are gods gift to fish and fishermen that cause harm that you don't see to your precious steelhead. There is more to come but right now I have to go.

and who are you again?

#343954 - 04/02/07 10:41 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: mreyns_tgl]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
A year or so ago I did an analysis of the catch of wild steelhead in this state (it may still be in the archives of this or other boards). This was before we went to the 1 steelhead retention per year on the 12 or 13 streams that allow that. The study was based on numbers attained from the NWIFC (Northwest Indian Fishing Commission) and WDFW. Now, I recognize that there may be some who contend that one or the other of those agencies have bogus numbers. My contention is that they likely both have bogus numbers and that the real catch of wild steelhead is higher by both tribal and sportsmen. What I found out is that the sportsmen had a significantly higher catch (and kill) of wild steelhead than did the tribes in virtualy every year that I looked at. The fundamental issue is that we (as sportsmen) look at our individual effort and catch, and then extrapolate that against the tribal nets. Reality - we must look at ourselves as a group, and when we do that, we find that there are thousands of wild steelhead killed every year by us (at least in the years that I studied). Once again, in the interest of fairness, I believe that the last year I studied was 2004 (the last year that I found figures from both sides.

Something to think about.

Edited by eddie (04/02/07 10:42 AM)

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#343959 - 04/02/07 11:19 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: eddie]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Why Kill um????.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#343967 - 04/02/07 11:34 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
That's straight up A number one crap, Aunty...if you care about a certain species, then you aren't allowed to fish or hunt for it, and you have to demand that everyone else stop fishing and hunting for it, too?

Does that work the other way...every species that you go out and trap or fish for... shrimp, salmon, and especially sturgeon...since you not only not demand that everyone stop, but you target them, too, does that mean you don't care about the welfare of those species?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#343971 - 04/02/07 11:43 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
So you only care about the resource when it's in trouble (and aren't fishing), and if it's not in trouble, then you fish for it (and by implication, don't care about it now?).

You really need to get your attitude straightened out...your recent elevation of CCA to diety-ship has turned you into a militant Anti-M.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#343972 - 04/02/07 11:47 AM Re: Why do people Kill wild steelhead? [Re: Todd]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
 Originally Posted By: Todd
So you only care about the resource when it's in trouble (and aren't fishing), and if it's not in trouble, then you fish for it (and by implication, don't care about it now?).

You really need to get your attitude straightened out...your recent elevation of CCA to diety-ship has turned you into a militant Anti-M.

That's funny Todd, seeing how that is EXACTLY how America manages it's fisheries.

We fish them until they are in trouble, *THEN* we attempt to "recover" them.

Examples include, well, ALL fisheries. King Crab, Halibut, salmon, etc, etc, etc.

I can't blame Aunty for being an American. Can you?

Sadly, it's not the fishing that is killing off the wild steelhead and not giving them a chance. It's us. That virus called a human being. That my friends, will never change until we kill the world in which we live in.

No worries. As a species, we will be extinct soon (in geologic time). The Earth (and the salmon) will get a chance to recover long after we are gone.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645389 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |