Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#345309 - 04/07/07 11:45 PM Utility Rod
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
I went out today to replace my utility rod. A utility rod to me is a 7' medium action bring anywhere, flexible, undestructible beast that is good for anything from planters to steelhead. I have been using a 7' Rhino but I dont like the metal eyes that they have. When you get a big fish or snag, the line can cut grooves in the metal.

I saw some really nice rods that I liked but they were one piece rods (really sweet Quantum for $50). I prefer a two piece rod for storage and transport. Why have the manufacturers switched to one piece rods? Do you guys prefer one piece or two piece rods? If you do like the one piece, please let me know why. Also what do you consider your utility rod.

I ended up getting a 7' medium Ugly Stick. It was the best option they had in a two piece rod. It only cost $30 and had glass eyes so I went with it.

j7 2012

#345343 - 04/08/07 09:26 AM Re: Utility Rod [Re: j 7]
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I have a couple one piece rods, a seven foot jigging rod which works quite well. My other is a cranking rod. Both have a nice feature of retracting into the handle so you don't have the full length when storing.

I've not noticed a big enough difference to compel me to switch over, but they do feel firmer in use.

#345748 - 04/10/07 01:09 AM Re: Utility Rod [Re: Mike C]
islandtrucha Offline
Fry

Loc: Federal Way WA
One piece rods are definitely the norm for bass rods and many bass anglers insist on one piece rods. I think in the past, some sensitivity might have been lost with the way 2-piece rods were joined together but, I think that might not be too much of a concern with modern rods.

The pros of one-piece to me:
1) Zero risk of top half flying off or being lost, especially when travelling through the brush, it is easy to unknowingly drop one piece and then step on it while you look for it.
2) It rarely happens to me, but there is also zero change of the upper-half getting misaligned.

The Cons of pne-piece to me:
1)#$#$#$#!!!! I have a car and I can't "hide" such a rod in the trunk to go fishing (15 minute fishing stints) while out on an errand for the Mrs.
2) Since they don't fit in my trunk, I have to put down the backseat and cover the rods protrunding from the trunk. Even on a 5-10 minutes running into a store to buy something and coming out immediately is more than enough time to have your gear stolen. Shimano Curado D ($199) and Crucial ($129) would be a pretty pricey rig to replace. I get around this by taking my rigs with me into the store (I do get a few stares) but risks I can avoid, I do.

Two-piece pro:
1) Convenience. They fit in the trunk out of sight.
Two-Piece con:
1) Lose either half and you aren't going to be fishin'

I prefer the convenience of 2-piece rods myself because they are far easier to transport, but I rarely do I ever see 2-piece versions of rods that I would like to have.

My better bass rods are 1-piece rods and my trout, steelhead and ul rods are 2-piece. If only I can pull the trigger on the Shimano Compre 2-peice medium action for about $89.00. This rod for me would be my utility rod.

To me, a utility rod is what I would call an "all around" rod. This compre possesses a lure weight range of 1/4-3/4 oz, which is a pretty wide range of lures. It is a medium powered rod with a fast action so it should handle bass and trout with ease, and if I'm not mistaken, it handles line from 8-17# test.

To me, that is a good all arounder. It should handle inline spinners, spoons, and bait fishing just fine for trout and should easily handle topwaters, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and smaller T-rigs well for bass.

Ugly sticks aren't bad at all, especially if you believe it is serving your needs.

#345762 - 04/10/07 01:56 AM Re: Utility Rod [Re: islandtrucha]
T Dot Offline
Parr

Loc: tha.pirate.ship
i grew up shore fishing. everywhere we fished we had to do it on foot, with the exception of a boat rental here and there.

ima die hard shimano fan, and i saw an all purpose 3 piece rod that was perfect for me.

7ft all purpose, and perfect for my style of bass fishing. small enough to hide in all places, and folds down to less than 3ft.

they are hard to come by, and they dont make them anymore. actually i spoke to a shimano rep the other day, and they said they are requesting to make another batch of them, but they only make them in bunches.

these rods are perfect for the car, and for the plane. so small i can fit them into my luggage. good enough where i can haul big bass outta pads, docks and logs.

\:\)

#345779 - 04/10/07 09:59 AM Re: Utility Rod [Re: T Dot]
Jay S Offline
Parr

I just bought a new all purpose rod last night a 7 ft uglystick lite 2 piece medium action fast tip. I dont see much diffrence between a one piece and 2 piece rod the ugly stick lite is a great rod I own 6"6" also an love it. I have had both regular ugly sticks and lite and the lite rods by far are way more sensitive. However these rods still have metal inserts but they are stainless not chromium like most the other poles. I have never had the problem with the line cutting the guides and im using fire line which i have seen cut all the way throught guides on other rods.
But im sure you will be happy with your new choice. Ugly sticks are darn near industructable and come with a great warrenty so I think you made a good investment.

#345859 - 04/10/07 03:35 PM Re: Utility Rod [Re: Jay S]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

I saw an advertisement in Cabelas for a "Whuppin Stick". Has anybody tried one of those? I dont think I'll try one until I break/wear out another rod.

j7 2012

#345863 - 04/10/07 03:44 PM Re: Utility Rod [Re: j 7]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Jay S, I sent you a PM

j7 2012

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 969 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |