Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#349222 - 04/27/07 02:01 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: littleriver]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA
Crappie and Walleye in my opinion fair better than halibut or lings, the only saltwater bottomfish that can compare is a yelloweye and i've only eaten them when i go to alaska! Tons of flavor!

#349235 - 04/27/07 08:09 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Castaway]
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
There are two kinds of fishermen, those who fish for spiny rays and those that dont. I once bass fished, i bet 20 or so years ago. Big 20 second fight, then just drag them in on the surface......Just could not get into it

#349247 - 04/27/07 11:06 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: One Way]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
A 4 pound smallie on light spinning tackle with just a small grub on the end is a pretty good time. Better yet, poppers on the bug rod.

Largemouth on the other hand...... 20 pound test on a salmon jigging rod just doesn't quite do it for me.

#349313 - 04/27/07 03:56 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: wntrrn]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Having grown up in the midwest, I have a natural connection with spiny ray fish'n and eatin. After spending fifteen years in the northwest, I have made the connection with the cold water species. If your looking for the challenge of spiny ray fishing you just have to match the equipment to the fish like has mentioned in the previous posts. Catching a bucket full of bluegill or perch is just as exiting as catching 2 springers. Drinkin beer and filleting a bucket full of perch is a party back in Michigan. Then deep frying those boneless and skinless fillets and serve them with more beer and potatoes is a tasty treat, IMO.

j7 2012

#349323 - 04/27/07 04:10 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: j 7]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Bass was a numbers game for me as I didn't think they fought well. It was always about how many I could trick and get to the boat.

#349332 - 04/27/07 04:23 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Dave D]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Spiny ray = Any fish you can pick up by the mouth, wave in front of a camera, throw 10 ft end over end back into the water, and not get flamed here.

#349335 - 04/27/07 04:29 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: milt roe]
Jay S Offline
Parr

Its been said pound for pound small mouth can be one of the toughest fighting fish. Its all about the set up your cathing them on. Light line and a 6' 6" medium pole gets the job done. Why would you use salmon gear for large mouth i use the same set up for both largies and smallies. You will never no untill you try. For the guys that dont like them thanks less pressure for me.

#349354 - 04/27/07 06:07 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Jay S]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
if i had a quality smallmouth lake close by i wouldn't be as much of a hardcore steelhead fisherman. they don't taste half bad either.

#349356 - 04/27/07 06:19 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Chum Man]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Lake Washington is a quality smallie lake...

#349370 - 04/27/07 08:02 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: milt roe]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA
 Originally Posted By: milt roe
Spiny ray = Any fish you can pick up by the mouth, wave in front of a camera, throw 10 ft end over end back into the water, and not get flamed here.
I can do that with a spoogin buck steely from off of Tbird line, so it must be a spiny ray! lmao

#349416 - 04/28/07 02:41 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
littleriver Offline
Parr

Loc: Ethel, Washington
 Originally Posted By: Fish Hunter 07
Lake Washington is a quality smallie lake...

Lake Erie is a quality smallie lake Fish hunter.... Lake Washington is a big deep western washington lake with a few smallmouth bass residing within it's boundaries....

Western washington sporties should feel lucky that they have the kind of anadromous sport fishing opportunities that they have... no question that the pursuit of sea run trout and salmon here far exceeds the kind of sport fishing opportunity offered by spiny ray fish like smallmouth bass and walleye in eastern and midwestern states...........

but, when there are no steelhead and there are no chinook a man has to fish for something and that, more often than not, ends up being spiny ray species such as bass and walleye....

#349419 - 04/28/07 03:11 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: littleriver]
nookie dreamin' Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everwet
Most of us western washington sporties DO fell lucky to have the opportunity to fish for steelies and salmon.. Thats the biggest reason most of us would rather live here.....

#349424 - 04/28/07 09:14 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: nookie dreamin']
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i'd rather live in the great lakes, more steelhead and salmon, plus nobody will bust your chops for whacking one over the head.

and the best part is if they're not cooperating, you can switch gear and try for a walleye in a few of those rivers \:\)

#349453 - 04/28/07 02:10 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Chum Man]
littleriver Offline
Parr

Loc: Ethel, Washington
Chum man makes a good point. When I fished Lake Erie and Lake ontario on a regular basis about 2 decades ago the limit was 5 (trout and salmon in combination) and you didn't have to punch the stupid punchcard....

Only problem with Great Lakes salmonoids, except for the lake trout, is that the fresh water doesn't do much for the flavor.... probably ok to smoke but for the table I used to target walleye and lake trout........

I terms of pure red meated fish eating heaven i don't think anything beats a 6 to 8 pound winter blackmouth caught in the cold deep waters of puget sound where they are gorging on calmari......... but any salmon caught in the saltchuck or fresh from the saltchuck and not too dark yet is going to be much, much better tasting than the one you get in the great lakes...

#349586 - 04/29/07 04:48 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Chum Man]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
 Originally Posted By: Chum Man
i'd rather live in the great lakes, more steelhead and salmon, plus nobody will bust your chops for whacking one over the head.

and the best part is if they're not cooperating, you can switch gear and try for a walleye in a few of those rivers \:\)

Yea but those salmon are just loaded with mercury and PCB levels...

#349604 - 04/29/07 09:26 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

Loc: Silverdale WA
I fish for bass also in some smaller tournaments... Lake Wa is a kick in the pants...i love to fish for smallmouth...i fish for everything...i really was pretty depressed for a while after the North of Falcon meetings this year, (I lost a month of fishing in a area that i fish at lunch) but anyway...i really let my bass club freind rip when i had a few drinks and told em "all you guys will give a crap about the salmon and steelhead in this state when there are no more and we turn to YOUR precious litlle lakes and start fishing for Largies and Smallies"....they wernt too happy with me...but a few of em said that they would help me try to protect the salt and some rivers if they could...I took it pretty hard after i found out about next years rule changes...but hey...this is the first time that i will ever be able to fish for Summer Kings in area 9 and 10 and be able to keep one!! c

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |