Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#362547 - 07/11/07 09:46 PM E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
You know, every so often I'll be in the market for something and check E-BAY to see whats out there ( in this case I am looking for a fly reel for a 7wt rod ) Anyway, used to be that you could bid on something that caught your eye. Seems like anymore its just nothing but " Buy it now " crap at full retail from dealers.. very few people actually selling things thru the bid process anymore..

#362559 - 07/11/07 11:45 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
B-Run,
I visit a couple of different websites on a regular basis that have good stuff. If I see on of the reels you listed in the classified I'll shot you a pm.
I agree with you on the Ebay thing. Folks tend to drive the prices up to much.
Brian

Edited by stonedfish (07/11/07 11:49 PM)

#362584 - 07/12/07 10:38 AM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: ]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Stam has a hard-on for those shi%%y old Cardinal Spinning reels. Ugly, out of date, and noisy.

#362607 - 07/12/07 12:42 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Sol kinda' stepped directly into that one!

I think the Ebay audience has just grown so much larger than it was even 2 or 3 years ago. I bought a couple NIB discontinued fly reels that retailed for $105-115 for $60-65, but now when they're offered, they get bid up to $100 or close to the original retail price. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the good price deals have become far less frequent. Just like a new fishing hole, . . . good while it lasted.

Sg

#362608 - 07/12/07 12:54 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Salmo g.]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
People that live in Enumclaw aren't allowed to have an opinion about me. They exist for my amusement only.

#362613 - 07/12/07 01:13 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Sol]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

I am battling it out on a couple of Lamsons now.

On another note.. I saw a 1971 covertible Hemi Cuda sell for 2.2 Million on T.V yesterday. I wish I would have filled a hanger full of that crap back in 75 or so.

#362614 - 07/12/07 01:17 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I did a loan for Charlie Lamson...dude didn't even fish.

#362617 - 07/12/07 01:37 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: seastrike]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Had a buddy sell a Hemi Cuda years ago to a guy in Sweden. The proceeds paid off his house.

#362643 - 07/12/07 05:16 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Snake Pliskin]
Moe the Sleaze Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: The Boardwalk, on the way to S...
I agree, Ebay has changed for the worse. Too many full-timers and pros who keep the prices up. Everyone seems to list things using "buy it now" and then have the auction side with a minimum starting bid very close to the "buy it now". So basically it just becomes like a retail listing.

The only way to score a deal on buy it now is to look at the items that are "newly listed" and hope the seller made a mistake in pricing something too low. If you don't catch a deal during the first 12 hours or so after it's listed, rest assured the chance will be gone because one of the "pros" will have already noticed it. And even though they might not need the item, they will buy it low and then re-list it close to retail. A "stock market lite", using merchandise instead of shares. Maybe more like a real estate market when you think about it. If you do enough volume the margins don't need to be too high...

Plus, ebay lost some luster to Craigslist.

#362728 - 07/13/07 01:22 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Moe the Sleaze]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
I use craigslist, local buyers, free and cash on the spot. works for me

#362769 - 07/13/07 07:13 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: summerrun]
r2fishn Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: tacoma
SHIPPING HAS GONE THROUGH THE ROOF.

#362928 - 07/15/07 09:59 AM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: r2fishn]
Toy Boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Greenlake
Just did e-bay yesterday. Replaced an old cannon rigger that vaporized somewhere on the hiway. Two were up for auction 4 minutes apart. Starting bid $99. $26 shipping. First one went for @$135 with no rod holder. Bought the second one for $152 with rod holder. yippee got the one I wanted. Then I get some e-mail from the dude that bought the first rigger.

Do you want to sell that downrigger you just bought?

Not really this will complete my set.

So there was 2 of these, what model do you think they are?

Any ideas on a reply to toy with this guy a bit? E-bay is ok just getting a little strange. Have a great day. Al

#363083 - 07/16/07 11:16 AM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Toy Boat]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

O.K, I have been bidding on two different reels. In both cases I was high bidder until the last 5-6 hours of the sale. Then some other dude jumps in and starts bidding. Long story short, I dropped out and dude wins. So... BOTH times I get a notification from the seller that the high bidder did not "qualify" due to "Security" reasons.. and as I am the second highest bidder, he is offering me the reel at my last bid..

What a bunch of crap. Suppose dudes buddy gets on there and runs the bids up and then backs out leaving the next guy down the option of buying whatever for what he last bid on it, which was higher than I had planned on going to start with.

This cheese stinks.. I suspect something rather fishey here.

I'm canning e-bay.. I'll just go buy a reel today

#363113 - 07/16/07 02:46 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: ]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Ebay is now promoted as the easy money tool for scammers. Winning a bid is equal to a buy now option or worst. Do an online such to see what's available and compare cost. You will find that you can get (for the same money or cheaper in many cases) a new product for the same product that's in used condition and without warranty on ebay.

I guess we now understand how those get rich quick ebay marketing packets are being used. I refuse to be a sucker and will just say no to ebay scams.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#363337 - 07/17/07 02:15 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: John Lee Hookum]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Several years ago I bought a pair mission rear speakers from ebay. The new model had a small wood strip on the front of the speaker for design purposes. The old model didn't. New in store the speakers run $700 and I got previous year model for $230.

I only have one other ebay experience in which I was bidding on a 1025C GL3. The system neglected to let me know there was another bidder and I lost the bid. Win some lose some.

#363421 - 07/17/07 07:31 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Dave D]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Everytime I bid on something, 30 seconds before the auction ended some asshole stepped in and sniped it out from under me. I dont even browse there anymore.

#363648 - 07/18/07 06:44 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Snake Pliskin]
Jaba'da butt Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kelso, wa.
What's with those Rainbow Reels from China, Looks like someone's pirating spin-offs of shimano and okuma, I think their fish once ,throw away deals! Gung Hai Fat Choi!! ( Happy New Year!)

#363672 - 07/18/07 08:34 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Jaba'da butt]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
I don't know enough about ebay to have an opinion, other than my wife scoring me 3 yes three post 98 Ross Gunnison G4's. And just last night a new Orvis 9' 9wt. 8.0 mid flex fly rod, for 240.00 bucks.

B-Run I got 2 original Lampson's, a 3 & 4 with an extra spool if your interested.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#363920 - 07/19/07 08:20 PM Re: E-BAY IS STARTING TO SUCK [Re: Snake Pliskin]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Ebay can kiss my spinchter. Only thing I find it useful for anymore is picking up spare parts. Usually spare parts for reels I can find fairly cheap.

If you want a real deal, use Craigslist. Where else could you make a trade like this...

MISC FISHING GEAR FOR BANJO

FOR TRADE: Fly rods 1 lamiglas, 2 bamboo(1 older), 2 flyreels, several spinreels, 2 tackleboxes, 1 vest, 4 or 5 casting rods, etc.
Want: open-back 5 string banjo.

I can hear the dueling banjo's now, while I'm looking over the stolen rods. All the while some well bred bloodhound licks the dirty toes of his inbred owner. Who couldn't love online shopping.

VHawk

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (20 Gage, seabeckraised, No More Ice Fishin), 1175 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |