Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#373040 - 09/06/07 10:36 PM Name that friquin bird
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
Ok I have some chickens. Despite what some may think chickens are ok.

Well, Last week this little bird of prey killed one of my chickens. It was a young chicken about 3 months old not very large in other words.

Well the other day I lost a rhode Island red, Full grow chicken weights about 5-6 lbs. The bird that got it is small about 20 inches tall. This little bird eats the prey where it kills it. Its all the breast meat, intestines.

Dosen't attack in a dive but stalks its prey, cornered the red under a rhodie. Bird of prey was sitting in the rhodie while the chicken cowered under the plant basically waiting to die.
The first time I chased the friquin thing away but it came back.

Anyway here is a bad picture anyone know what it is?

Attachments
1214-IMGP0947_resize.JPG

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#373043 - 09/06/07 10:45 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Jason Y]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
It looks like a hawk or possibly a falcon. As to the sub species it is hard to tell from the picture. I will call my bird brained buddy and ask for his opinion.-TBJ

#373044 - 09/06/07 10:47 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Jason Y]
r2fishn Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: tacoma
cant tell by the pic do you think its a hawk naah .shoot the dam thing

#373045 - 09/06/07 10:54 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: r2fishn]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Red Tail Hawk

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#373046 - 09/06/07 10:56 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: r2fishn]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

I think its a coopers hawk or a sharp shinned hawk. But I am not a bird watcher. I bought the Field Guide to Birds of North America. Many years ago being in the outdoors alot it pretty amazing all the birds you will see. I am on the water about 200 days a year. So I have see alot of the sea birds that inhabiate the state.

I would not shoot the dam thing its just doing its thing surviving. I will just keep the chickens in their inclosed run for a couple weeks. The bird will leave when there are no more easy pickings.
JY

#373047 - 09/06/07 11:02 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: John Lee Hookum]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: John Lee Hookum
Red Tail Hawk

Tail feathers are wrong based on the book I have.

Also its behavior is odd. It flies low beneath the limbs about 20 feet off the ground. Rather than soar it seems to stalk its prey from a low limb of a tree.

#373054 - 09/06/07 11:30 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Jason Y]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
I think it's a Merlin.

RVW

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#373060 - 09/06/07 11:57 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: RowVsWade]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
I think it's a Merlin.

RVW

Thats a real possibility. But they are pretty small. Like 12 inches tall. The way it stalked its prey was interesting, chickens are not very smart. The chicken was clucking for like 20 min, in the blackberries at my neighbors. I walked over and threw some gravel at the sound. The little bird of prey flew out of the bushes from about 2 feet above the ground. Basically the chicken was sitting there waiting to die. If I haden't come along I would have lost 3 birds.

JY

#373062 - 09/06/07 11:59 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: RowVsWade]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
It might be a Coopers hawk. I Watched them kill Doves in my back yard in Gig Harbor all the time.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#373064 - 09/07/07 12:08 AM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: RowVsWade]
Hatch Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa
It is a Cooper's Hawk. Probably spends half his time at your house picking off chickens and the other half at mine eating my fat doves. Have to weed out the gene pool somehow.

#373077 - 09/07/07 12:58 AM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Hatch]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
I have a copy of Birds of the Puget Sound Region by Bob Morse which has some good colored photos. It could be a Cooper's or a Sharp-shinned which the book says are almost identical. The Sharp-shinned has "long, matchstick-thin yellow legs" & "long, square-tipped tail". The Cooper has "long, yellow, pencil-sized legs, longbroadly-banded tail".
So, I guess you need to catch it and check to see if the legs are matchstick-thin or pencil-thin. Good Luck.

#373092 - 09/07/07 02:14 AM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Chuck E]
Blades™ Offline
Spawner

Loc: La La Land
"Thats a pretty big Bobalink"

#373100 - 09/07/07 07:42 AM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Blades™]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
It's a chickenhawk

#373117 - 09/07/07 11:03 AM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Jason Y]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Tell us a parrot story!

#373119 - 09/07/07 11:19 AM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Sol]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

I come in to work this morning and open up PP only to see the infamaous blinking envelope. Here is the PM that tunaklr sent me, as he lives a few houses down from "my" house that I had to move out of.

"So I get a call last night form my wife. Seems your wife comes by so the girls can play.The dam bird flys from you wife up into a cedar tree. This cedar tree is across the road from me. The bird is up about 20 feet.

At this point I am in Silverdale buying a new cell phone. My spouse broke mine in half about 3 weeks ago so I had been using hers.

Anyway I drive home and there is the white suburban parked in the weeds across the road. With a fricken step stool on top. Seems that someone had been standing on top of the step stool with a long handled net thingie trying to catch the bird.

Anyway we ended up getting the bird out of tree one, it flew over to tree two. Still about 20 feet up in the air. We tossed a basketball up at it. Now the bird flies down the road and straight into the window glass on the front of the house. Fell to the ground as if it was dead. But allas its still alive.

Now the whole ordeal kind of stressed me out. 4 little kids 2 moms one dam little bird."

Looks like the bird is your problem, now, bud.

#373124 - 09/07/07 12:22 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Sol]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

My avatar is a Red Tailed Hawk.

For a while my parents had a Great Horned Owl picking off all of the birds. He'd kill them then celibrate his kill by standing over the dead, bird stretch his wings and raise a racket.

Edited by stlhead (09/07/07 12:42 PM)

#373142 - 09/07/07 02:08 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: stlhead]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
1st guess is Cooper hawk.
2nd guess is American Kestrel AKA Sparrow hawk

#373159 - 09/07/07 04:08 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Hatch]
pescadore Offline
Smolt

Loc: Hood Canal
Coopers hawk.
Here's anopther photo of one. http://www.dunbargardens.com/coopers%20hawk%20perched%20on%20barn.JPG
Coopers hawks and Goshawks get my full grown mallard ducks on occasion when the ducks are in the woods roaming outside of their pen. Similar birds are sharp shinned hawks and goshawks.
But i'd bet money you have a hungry Coopers hawk and he knows there food there as he's returning.
Sometimes they are temporary visitors to feeders, sometimes they return, sometimes they are migrtating through. They are everywhere, from cities to parks to dense woods and shorelines.

#373160 - 09/07/07 04:08 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: Sol]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Sol
I come in to work this morning and open up PP only to see the infamaous blinking envelope. Here is the PM that tunaklr sent me, as he lives a few houses down from "my" house that I had to move out of.

"So I get a call last night form my wife. Seems your wife comes by so the girls can play.The dam bird flys from you wife up into a cedar tree. This cedar tree is across the road from me. The bird is up about 20 feet.

At this point I am in Silverdale buying a new cell phone. My spouse broke mine in half about 3 weeks ago so I had been using hers.

Anyway I drive home and there is the white suburban parked in the weeds across the road. With a fricken step stool on top. Seems that someone had been standing on top of the step stool with a long handled net thingie trying to catch the bird.

Anyway we ended up getting the bird out of tree one, it flew over to tree two. Still about 20 feet up in the air. We tossed a basketball up at it. Now the bird flies down the road and straight into the window glass on the front of the house. Fell to the ground as if it was dead. But allas its still alive.

Now the whole ordeal kind of stressed me out. 4 little kids 2 moms one dam little bird."

Looks like the bird is your problem, now, bud.

Great, now I get two black clouds and another dam bird

#373163 - 09/07/07 04:16 PM Re: Name that friquin bird [Re: pescadore]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: pescadore
Coopers hawk.
Here's anopther photo of one. http://www.dunbargardens.com/coopers%20hawk%20perched%20on%20barn.JPG
Coopers hawks and Goshawks get my full grown mallard ducks on occasion when the ducks are in the woods roaming outside of their pen. Similar birds are sharp shinned hawks and goshawks.
But i'd bet money you have a hungry Coopers hawk and he knows there food there as he's returning.
Sometimes they are temporary visitors to feeders, sometimes they return, sometimes they are migrtating through. They are everywhere, from cities to parks to dense woods and shorelines.

Thanks , Its funny I have these pigion like birds that are hanging around also. Grey body,blackish grey feathers on the wing, yellow feet yellow beak. And on the back of the head the have a crown like band of white feathers.

After the first kill I was convienced that the pigion like bird was the culprit. I called around and discribed the bird. No luck, then the other day when the hawk came back I was so excited. I was going to take a picture of the chicken killing pigion. I was suprised when it turned out to be a actual hawk like bird.

So last night I saw the pigion. Not sure if it really a pigion. Its not the same as the city pigions. A bit larger and pretty smart.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1211 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |