Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#387305 - 11/08/07 04:36 AM Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? *****
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

There have been several PP lurkers, and a few board members who've come through the ER in the last 4 months with serious cardiac symptoms...that they've ignored. Some of it was pure denial, but some of it was due to gaps in knowledge. Just a short post to help fill in those knowledge gaps for those of you at risk for a heart attack.

Time is critical. The clogged artery feeding your heart muscle needs to be reopened or everything downstream of it will die and turn to scar tissue. Cardiac cath lab, where the angioplasty is done, is always on call and ready to be at the hospital in minutes. If you think your having a heart attack call 911. If your in Forks don't drive yourself back to Olympia or Seattle. Seek the nearest medical attention. We get flights in from Forks, Neah Bay, and other OP places for cath lab.

Ok, just some of the symptoms that need evaluation by an MD. By an MD, and not your chiropracter, not the neighbor who was once a CNA, not the guy pumping gas for you in Astoria, not the nice lady in the coffee shop. Do you know how doctors diagnose heart attacks by phone? They don't, you need an EKG at the very least. I've seen about one heart attack a year come in after the guy was told by his chiropracter he was ok, just needed another adjustment.

Any single of these symptoms all by itself should probably be evaluated. You can have a heart attack and not have a single one of them. But usually your heart gives you some sign that bad shiat is happening.

Chest pain, either left sided, central, or even right sided. Pain between the shoulder blades. Pain radiating up the jaw, especially the left side. Persistant "gas pains". Sudden shortness of breath. Sudden fatigue, accompanied by shortness of breath. Nausea, vomiting and getting sweaty suddenly (consider the context, a 55 year old male hiking along a river shouldn't suddenly go pale, start sweating and throwing up. A guy chugging tequila, well he might be expected to have some of the above.) Feeling 'lightheaded', or passing out (when your sober). Sudden loss of consciousness is a serious symptom. Any of these symptoms that occur during exertion like rowing, and quit when you rest, should definitely be evaluated. Don't wait, your plumbing may be on the verge of totally getting clogged.

If you have questions call your doctors office and ask their advice. Generally if you have any of the above symptoms they'll ask you to call 911.

My goal is not to babysit, or coddle anybody. My goal is to prevent a guy from losing 15 years of fishing because he waited too long. Its to prevent another guy who was active, from needing to carry around an oxygen tank and a walker.

Even if it wasn't against the law, I still wouldn't mention any names. But you guys are welcome to chime in if you have an experience you'd like to share.

Hope this helps. Yes it is preachy, but I think it's important info.

VHawk

#387310 - 11/08/07 08:04 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: VHawk.]
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
One thing you might add, is there are a couple things to keep an eye on BP and cholesterol manage it when you are young so you can live to be old. I have an automatic bp cuff and check it from time to time. and have been taken meds to control bp and cholesterol. get checked

#387314 - 11/08/07 09:14 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: One Way]
fishforlife Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: redmond wash
vhawk thanks for telling everyone what to look for in my case i had a heart attact in 1993 i was only 35 years old at the time now i have heart failure and the doctors had to put in a icd inplant had to miss all of last season of fishing. still pretty hard to get out but am going to try this winter at least 1 or 2 times a week.

#387315 - 11/08/07 09:31 AM Re: Chest Pain when Hiking? Short of Breath? [Re: fishforlife]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
VHawk, It's not just from rowing. And it's not just about heart attacks. Other heart conditions are not uncommon.

I noticed it just by hiking up to the fishing hole. I had some symptoms, fluttery feeling on the left side of the chest and ignored them. Didn't have a strong thump thump. Thought it was just anxiety. I was in good shape and excercised. Who cared? I would just croak and my body would decompose next to the river I loved.

I went to a physical and I had a murmor. My physician diagnosed it as Mitral Valve Prolapse(MVP). Then I went through some ultrasound tests, and noticed there was backflow and the upper chamber was enlarged. I was showing signs of heart failure. The valve leaflets wouldn't close all the way. I went through the angioplasty to ensure my arteries were good. Smooth as a babies butt. Then I went and had it repaired. John Ritter had something similar and didn't make it.

Now I don't have any symptoms and should be good to go until I'm real old fortunately.

Edited by Steelheadman (11/08/07 09:34 AM)

#387316 - 11/08/07 09:32 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: fishforlife]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
I saw a guy die of a massive heart attack just above Rinevans on the Hump a few years ago. Nothing we could do but call 911. He was old, and very overweight. I might also add he was fighting a king when it happened. His son was rowing and it really put a damper on what had been a really great day.-T

#387323 - 11/08/07 10:41 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: TBJ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

In my case I had an inflamed artery that became pinched. The major symptom was a sudden on rush of extreme pain in the shoulders. Felt like god trying to pulverize your sockets. Then the other symptoms crept in.

I get all of those other symptoms every time I get a steelhead on that's over 20#.

#387332 - 11/08/07 11:17 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: stlhead]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Thanks VHAWK, sometimes the symptoms are so slight one doesn't realize there is a problem. Or sometimes people just ignore symptoms or are misdiagnosed.

If a person develops any of the symptoms, get checked out.

I did, unfortunately my brother who was two years younger didn't.

He has been gone eight years now and I am still fishing.

#387333 - 11/08/07 11:33 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: Sebastes]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Nice update Hawk,
Want to add to the jaw pain on the left side and the pain in the left elbow seems like a common symptom(funny how that goes with rowing) Sounds kind of unusual but the damn commercials on baby asprin are right as well. They can help but not with warfrin or any other blood thinners. You got all the help you need if you take the big guns like these. The last thing I would say is take a CPR coarse if you have time, if you are in the medical field or not. You could really help someone out because sooner or later, you will use it.....I promise. Give some poor fisherman their best chance of catching one more steelie.

#387334 - 11/08/07 11:38 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: Sebastes]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
VHawk:

Thanks for all the "useable information"......probably why you see lot's of the age 50+ people change thier fishing style. Go from bank bound to driftboats to jetboats....I know it probably should be the other way around but that's not what I'm seeing on many of the waters I fish.

Have a good day..........

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#387336 - 11/08/07 11:49 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: VHawk.]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
 Originally Posted By: VHawk
I've seen about one heart attack a year come in after the guy was told by his chiropracter he was ok, just needed another adjustment. VHawk

Sounds like something a Chiroquackter would say.
My mother's Naturopath would say something along the lines of "This tincture of strychnine, pine needles and ivy will purge the bad juju from your aura."

Good Public Service Announcement. \:\)

By the way, when we going to out drinking liquor and smoking cigars again? ;\)

#387337 - 11/08/07 11:50 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: docspud]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Along these lines, it's amazing what otherwise intelligent men will think of as being in "good shape." A friend of mine, when he was only 100# overweight was telling me how his doctor said he had the heart of a man 15 or 20 years younger. Yeah, right. People who are clearly overweight aren't in good shape. They're killing themselves - slowly.

Rowing a driftboat does NOT make a man in good shape. Over the course of a day it's too little exercise spread over way too long a time. Good shape is when you can run, that is run with no walking, two miles without stopping once. Good shape is when you can ride your bike for one hour at 15 mph or better without stopping. You can be in good shape rowing your driftboat, that is if you row your driftboat on a lake or river for one hour continuously, never stopping to take a breath without stroking those oars. One of the biggest myths is guys who think they're in good shape when they're closer to being physical wrecks. Being delusional doesn't lead to long life.

#387338 - 11/08/07 11:54 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: TBJ]
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
 Originally Posted By: TBJ
I saw a guy die of a massive heart attack just above Rinevans on the Hump a few years ago. Nothing we could do but call 911. He was old, and very overweight. I might also add he was fighting a king when it happened. His son was rowing and it really put a damper on what had been a really great day.-T

<Hoping I go the same way>
Seriously, Thanks to Vince for raising the awareness.
My wife, 42 yrs old and another friend are recent recipients of Mitral Valve repair/replacement.
Hearing a doctor tell your wife she will die of congenital heart failure within a year if not treated makes you sit right up and listen.
My wife was the picture of health up to the day of the surgery.
Don't ignore these things.

#387346 - 11/08/07 12:30 PM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: Salmo g.]
Piperfish Offline
Egg

Loc: Olympia
One can do pretty much everything right and still be at risk. Genes play a big role.That's my story. Was diagnosed at 17 with high blood pressure, early 20s with cholesterol issues - and both father and grandfather died of heart disease. I had been seeing a cardiologist regularly for over 20 years, taking meds, working out, and watching what I was eating, and keeping my weight in line.

3 years ago, at the ripe old age of 43, I began my morning as usual by working out (no problems), grabbed my cup of coffee and headed up to my home office to start the day. I began having what I thought was stomach pain (I've had acid reflux before - and that was EXACTLY what the pain felt like.) That was my only symptom. The pain went away in about an hour, but came back late in the afternoon (not during any exercise.) I tried Maalox, etc., but the pain wouldn't go away, so I just went to bed. Woke up at about 2:30 a.m., feeling nauseous and sweaty in addition to the pain, rolled over and went back to sleep. In the morning, I felt a lot better, but still had a bit of stomach pain and did notice (for the first time) a very slight ache in my left wrist and slight ache in my jaw area. My wife (fortunately) nagged me to call our family doctor to make an appointment to have my "stomach" checked out. The doctor, noting my symptoms, did an EKG (normal) and an cardiac enzyme blood test (not normal.) At that point he summoned the paramedics and I was off to St. Pete's.

By the time I got to the hospital, I felt completely normal again. Everyone was telling me that I had a heart attack and I simply couldn't believe them. It was just that freakin' acid reflux, I thought! Everyone else had to be wrong! Come on, I felt fine!

Bottom line: I did indeed have a heart attack. Totally blocked right coronary artery. Fortunately, it was well downstream and I had only minor heart damage. Angioplasty, two stents, and 3 years later - I have no physical limitations, and I picked up fishing as a stress-busting hobby. I also understand that I am very fortunate.

Lessons Learned:
1) You can do a lot to put yourself in the best position to avoid heart disease, but this doesn't mean that you don't have it, or that you can escape an eventual heart attack.
2) For many people, heart attack symptoms don't match what you see on t.v. or the movies.
3) Be aware of what's going on in your body. Certainly note the symptoms that VHawk and others have mentioned, but also know that indigestion or stomach pain that arises out of nowhere can be cardiac related. Don't ignore unexplained pain, nausea, sweating, aching wrist, or jaw.
4) Don't just think "it will go away." For me, the symptoms did go away, BUT I still had a heart attack. Doh!
5) Better to be safe or even embarrassed by a run to the ER that turns out to be something other than a cardiac event... than dead. (Okay, there might be fishing in heaven, but I for one, need all the practice I can get before then!)

#387347 - 11/08/07 12:36 PM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: Piperfish]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Welcome Piperfish, nice story. It's crazy how these issues can manifest themselves in different peopel in so many different ways.

#387356 - 11/08/07 01:58 PM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: Piperfish]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Piperfish
One can do pretty much everything right and still be at risk. Genes play a big role.That's my story. Was diagnosed at 17 with high blood pressure, early 20s with cholesterol issues - and both father and grandfather died of heart disease. I had been seeing a cardiologist regularly for over 20 years, taking meds, working out, and watching what I was eating, and keeping my weight in line.

3 years ago, at the ripe old age of 43, I began my morning as usual by working out (no problems), grabbed my cup of coffee and headed up to my home office to start the day. I began having what I thought was stomach pain (I've had acid reflux before - and that was EXACTLY what the pain felt like.) That was my only symptom. The pain went away in about an hour, but came back late in the afternoon (not during any exercise.) I tried Maalox, etc., but the pain wouldn't go away, so I just went to bed. Woke up at about 2:30 a.m., feeling nauseous and sweaty in addition to the pain, rolled over and went back to sleep. In the morning, I felt a lot better, but still had a bit of stomach pain and did notice (for the first time) a very slight ache in my left wrist and slight ache in my jaw area. My wife (fortunately) nagged me to call our family doctor to make an appointment to have my "stomach" checked out. The doctor, noting my symptoms, did an EKG (normal) and an cardiac enzyme blood test (not normal.) At that point he summoned the paramedics and I was off to St. Pete's.

By the time I got to the hospital, I felt completely normal again. Everyone was telling me that I had a heart attack and I simply couldn't believe them. It was just that freakin' acid reflux, I thought! Everyone else had to be wrong! Come on, I felt fine!

Bottom line: I did indeed have a heart attack. Totally blocked right coronary artery. Fortunately, it was well downstream and I had only minor heart damage. Angioplasty, two stents, and 3 years later - I have no physical limitations, and I picked up fishing as a stress-busting hobby. I also understand that I am very fortunate.

Lessons Learned:
1) You can do a lot to put yourself in the best position to avoid heart disease, but this doesn't mean that you don't have it, or that you can escape an eventual heart attack.
2) For many people, heart attack symptoms don't match what you see on t.v. or the movies.
3) Be aware of what's going on in your body. Certainly note the symptoms that VHawk and others have mentioned, but also know that indigestion or stomach pain that arises out of nowhere can be cardiac related. Don't ignore unexplained pain, nausea, sweating, aching wrist, or jaw.
4) Don't just think "it will go away." For me, the symptoms did go away, BUT I still had a heart attack. Doh!
5) Better to be safe or even embarrassed by a run to the ER that turns out to be something other than a cardiac event... than dead. (Okay, there might be fishing in heaven, but I for one, need all the practice I can get before then!)

Piperfish, thank you for a well written piece of work. Your input here is going to save someone's life.

Damn, that was your very first post? What an entrance. Keep up the good work. Most guys start with something like "Hi I'm Johnny Jo Jo, I like to fish."

I think this deserves best first post award.

#387456 - 11/08/07 06:31 PM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: VHawk.]
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Just another Olympia boy. You guys writ pretty good!

#387531 - 11/08/07 10:12 PM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
jon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: auburn, wa
Alright I've been there too. I Kept having chest pains while taking short hikes to fisihing spots. Sometimes they were so bad I had to sit down on a log and wait for them to go away or at least be less painful. I kept telling myself I was just getting old at 50 and had to much weight. I got smart and went in for an exam. Yep, high blood pressure and a clogged artery. I have no idea why it didn't kill me out there while sitting on a log with no one else around. I am on meds now and excercise 5 to 6 times a week. I have no more chest pains. Yes it can happen to you so if you are having shortness of breath and or chest pains witih moderate activity GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

#387532 - 11/08/07 10:16 PM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

Loc: Silverdale WA
welcome Piperfish!! and yah...great post...

thanks for all of your comments...and advice...i have a co-worker that just had a heart attack at work yesterday, he should be released tomm...surprisingly, he works out at least two hours a day, and is in very good shape...body builder...works hard, prob has stress, just got married, and i belive the two of em have 4 kids all together...not a lot of problems...eats very healthy...my guess is heriditary, and stress...
he is also only about 31 years old...hard to belive...but we are all happy he is going to be ok...its a small shop i work at, only 26 of us...most of our offices are over 200 or 300...crazy to think he had a heart attack...
thanks guys...im going to print this out for him...c

#387582 - 11/09/07 03:10 AM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: lovetofish365]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: lovetofish365
welcome Piperfish!! and yah...great post...

thanks for all of your comments...and advice...i have a co-worker that just had a heart attack at work yesterday, he should be released tomm...surprisingly, he works out at least two hours a day, and is in very good shape...body builder...works hard, prob has stress, just got married, and i belive the two of em have 4 kids all together...not a lot of problems...eats very healthy...my guess is heriditary, and stress...
he is also only about 31 years old...hard to belive...but we are all happy he is going to be ok...its a small shop i work at, only 26 of us...most of our offices are over 200 or 300...crazy to think he had a heart attack...
thanks guys...im going to print this out for him...c

I wonder what exactly happened. "Heart attack" is a loosely defined term when it comes to the general public. When medical people talk of a heart attack they generally mean a myocardial infarction (MI). Thats when one of the arteries that feeds the muscles of the heart is clogged to the point where the muscle downstream of the clog starts to die.

It is unusual for a male under 34 to have an MI. It is not too unusual though for other potentially dangerous heart conditions to occur in someone who is 31. Generally the symptoms are a a lot the same, pain, shortness of breath, and fatigue. And the rules are the same as well...don't wait to have it looked at.

Every story shared here is important. Might help someone live long enough to take out their grandkids fishing.

I need to add this in...if your a stubborn SOB and don't want to call the ambulance to take you to the ER when your chest pain gets real bad, that's ok. You're an adult and it's your privilege to do stupid things. But don't drive yourself in, you put other peoples lives at risk. Call family, or a taxi. And take that aspirin.

Aspirin, It's actually a pretty dang good drug. It helps with heart attack survival, headaches, muscle pains, and maybe even help prevent colon cancer. They should just put on the label what it won't do...it won't bring a dead hooker back to life. Remember that.

#387664 - 11/09/07 04:09 PM Re: Chest Pain when Rowing? Short of Breath? [Re: VHawk.]
Piperfish Offline
Egg

Loc: Olympia
Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking on PP for over a year. As I'm still relatively new to fishing, I've been focusing on reading and learning, rather than posting. I've learned a lot and will continue my fishing education here. But, I just couldn't pass on the opportunity to share my story on this topic. My hope is that my experience and what I've learned can help someone else - which in turn - makes it easier for me to continue the process of turning a negative personal experience into a positive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 896 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645399 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |