Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393680 - 12/05/07 03:12 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: Todd]
Metal Head Offline
Parr

Loc: Kent, WA
Thanks to both c/22 and Todd on the explanations, I can see now exactly what you're talking about.

So, there are basicly two schools of thought on the presentation of a spoon... both require the spoon to be working near the bottom and swung 'down & across' the holding water:

The braided line junkies like to keep full contact with the spoon by minimizing line diameter/stretch... and thus orient the spoon almost parallel with the current as it swings through the holding water. Advantage: quicker hook-sets and maybe a bit more ability to detect a bite for the novice spooner?

The heavy mono guys use the stretch and drag to swing the spoon through the same water in a line more perpandicular to the flow. Advantage: seems a little more versitile way to fish, may not be as aggressive a presentation to the fish, but it seems like it takes a bit more practice to master?

I currently belong to the braided line sect, but I must admit I prefer to fish using mono so I'm anxious to give the 'pulse-bow' method a try. Thanks again Sol, Todd and C/22! ~josh

#393688 - 12/05/07 03:24 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: Metal Head]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Don't forget that Herzog will be at Three Rivers teaching a how-to on spoon fishing on Dec 7th at 5:00 P.M. He will be giving away one of his spoon rods as well. Oh yeah, it's free and they have lots of other free stuff!

#393716 - 12/05/07 04:15 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: Dave Vedder]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Air/water temps when fishing will play into line selection too. Note that Sol fished a braided line this fall when it was warmer, then switched to mono later during the same fall when the air/water temps dropped, also Zog stated the water temps were running 37 degrees during his 2 weeks on river. He fished mono, as did Sol & I'm sure Nick too.

IMHO, its MONO only when its gets cold. Braid will lead you into a frozen "charlie-foxtrot" mess.

C/22

#393740 - 12/05/07 04:50 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: chrome/22]
GreenRiver Offline
Spawner

Braid floats, but I don't think it's a factor with spoons. One reason I switched to 20lb braid for spinners is to get down quick and it does this well. The floatation is offset by how skinny braided line is.

Most people suck at internet........

#393799 - 12/05/07 07:08 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: GreenRiver]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Canada is like America's hat, and I can't wait to wear it again next fall.

#393804 - 12/05/07 07:22 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: GreenRiver]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
"Don't forget that Herzog will be at Three Rivers teaching a how-to on spoon fishing on Dec 7th at 5:00 P.M. He will be giving away one of his spoon rods as well. Oh yeah, it's free and they have lots of other free stuff!"

Rumor has it that there will be some dude there talking about floats and such, and some other good lookin' fella handin' out free hammered 50/50 spoons \:\)

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#393833 - 12/05/07 08:36 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: Todd]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
I fished braid for the first time this year. I have to say, the strikes are electric, and you feel every twitch. When you hook a fish, it's there immediately. That being said, I felt like I lost some of the action and the ability to control the speed of the swing. I'm going to switch back to mono. I like the feel of fishing with rubber band better \:\)

#393889 - 12/05/07 11:36 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: ]
FISH'N BRASS Offline
Parr

Loc: U. PLACE, WA
I've fished spoons for last 7-8 years and have experienced most of what has been said above. I use yelow 20# power pro with 15# flourocarbon-Pen-Tac gold-1/2 and !/2- or copper in 2/3 for heavy and 2/5 oz for lighter water. Whatever it takes to get it to the bottom-but not banging. It is a fine line between being in the penthouse and the shiat house! On the rivers I fish, if you aren't loseing gear-you probably aren't in the penthouse. The one thing I haven't heard said-is that the take will be very suttle-it feels like a leaf-when the wobble stops-set the hook. I released 13 Kings in Oct-2over 20-1 over 30- and 1 over 40- all chrome, all in the mouth, and all after a very soft take. I too would like to see RVR FSHR make a 2/3 oz spoon.

#393890 - 12/05/07 11:37 PM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: ]
FISH'N BRASS Offline
Parr

Loc: U. PLACE, WA
I've fished spoons for last 7-8 years and have experienced most of what has been said above. I use yelow 20# power pro with 15# flourocarbon-Pen-Tac gold-1/2 and !/2- or copper in 2/3 for heavy and 2/5 oz for lighter water. Whatever it takes to get it to the bottom-but not banging. It is a fine line between being in the penthouse and the shiat house! On the rivers I fish, if you aren't loseing gear-you probably aren't in the penthouse. The one thing I haven't heard said-is that the take will be very suttle-it feels like a leaf-when the wobble stops-set the hook. I released 13 Kings in Oct-2over 20-1 over 30- and 1 over 40- all chrome, all in the mouth, and all after a very soft take. I too would like to see RVR FSHR make a 2/3 oz spoon.

#393908 - 12/06/07 12:35 AM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: FISH'N BRASS]
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
Thanks Todd and Sol, and those asking the questions for turning this goofy thread into an excellent informative read. Just kicked on the computer, started reading this and can't believe it went from those chicks pics getting posted to this, this is some good stuff.

#393935 - 12/06/07 03:23 AM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: Addicted]
What Offline
Spawner

I'm thinking something along the lines of, "wait, should I be writing all of this down"... Blue flowers.

#393956 - 12/06/07 10:38 AM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: What]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
I like you, Joe, mostly because I never understand a damn thing you say.

#393969 - 12/06/07 11:28 AM Re: Spoon Fishing Article [Re: Sol]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
That's my boy...good call, Joe.

I'm not sure what's worse; that he writes stuff like that, or that I actually understand it when he does?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (SpoonFed), 1376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |