THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#404814 - 01/14/08 06:24 PM Urine test a good idea......?
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Got this in my e-mail today....

"Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test with which I have no problem. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them? Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their ASS, doing drugs, while I work. . . . Can you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?"

#404820 - 01/14/08 06:36 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
If you had to try to feed your family and get by on $350 a month you'd get loaded too.

#404823 - 01/14/08 06:41 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Irie]
egghead Offline
Parr

Or maybe get a job???????

#404824 - 01/14/08 06:41 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Irie]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Besides without the checks they'd steal from us tax payers anyways. Or go to prison where we pay again. Should have done a draft and sent the meth heads into Iraq first. They'd strip the place or die trying.

#404846 - 01/14/08 07:14 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: egghead]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
 Originally Posted By: egghead

For some people with not so much as even a high school degree, it aint easy to get a stable job, thus making it difficult to get by....

#404848 - 01/14/08 07:19 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
egghead Offline
Parr

I get that, welfare should be there to help people that try to get back on there feet. I am not heartless, but have a hard time seeing people that get subsidies from the government just continue to live the way they are living.

I would feel no different if it were my son or daughter. I will help anyone who is trying to help themselves. I just don't believe in a free lunch for life program.

#404850 - 01/14/08 07:22 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: egghead]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
A few bad eggs give the entire welfare system a bad name.

#404852 - 01/14/08 07:22 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Welfare is usually for children. The question is whether we are willing to take the children away from a parent based on that drug test, since they obviously have all ready proven they need assistence from the state to care for the children. I personally think it is a good idea. Its the question of where they are getting the money to buy the drugs from that bothers me. Most likely they are using the money the state provided for their children. That is the real problem.

#404854 - 01/14/08 07:25 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
If only it were that simple. I did an internship several years ago for the social services department for the county I lived in at that time. After seeing my millionth teen mom with no job skills, no husband, and drug or alcohol problems, I still don't know what the answer is to prevent all this in the first place. I don't like the idea or the actual act of anyone sponging off me either, but Like Irie said, you'd be gettting high too.

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#404955 - 01/14/08 10:46 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Bustinbig Offline
Spawner

Loc: silverdale
 Originally Posted By: Fish Hunter 07
 Originally Posted By: egghead

For some people with not so much as even a high school degree, it aint easy to get a stable job, thus making it difficult to get by....
Well then maybe they should have stayed in school, instead of spreading there seeds. basic education is free, last time i checked.

#405018 - 01/15/08 02:54 AM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Bustinbig]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Maybe we should go back to the days of Debtors' prison, the Workhouse, and the Orphanage.

...Because THAT worked out so well.

#405043 - 01/15/08 11:18 AM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Irie]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

How about an extra tax on registered republicans and other religious fanatical organizations who are against birth control?

#405056 - 01/15/08 11:42 AM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: stlhead]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Here's a novel idea, why don't employers base evaluation of employees on performance at work instead of prying into their private life? Unless they want to pay you for a 24 hour day, put in an honest eight hours and what you do on your own time is nobody's business but your own, I say.

#405073 - 01/15/08 12:32 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Sol]
ISO Chrome
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Sol
Here's a novel idea, why don't employers base evaluation of employees on performance at work instead of prying into their private life? Unless they want to pay you for a 24 hour day, put in an honest eight hours and what you do on your own time is nobody's business but your own, I say.

Finally, a reply that makes sense.

My employer doubts I could pass a drug test, therefore he never gives a second thought to wasting hard earned dollars on a test that has nothing at all to do with my sales performance.

ISO

Edited by ISO Chrome (01/15/08 12:33 PM)

#405087 - 01/15/08 12:56 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: stlhead]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
 Originally Posted By: stlhead
How about an extra tax on registered republicans and other religious fanatical organizations who are against birth control?

Against birth controll??? WTF? Or against giving minors birth controll without the consent of parents?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#405089 - 01/15/08 12:58 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

How about both? "preach abstinence isn't working".

Edited by stlhead (01/15/08 12:59 PM)

#405093 - 01/15/08 01:07 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The only people who should be subject to work related drug testing are those who affect public safety (airline pilots, etc.) and professional athletes whose organizations prohibit drug use as a condition of playing.

My ex works in transit, and because all the bus drivers are subject to drug testing, everyone else who works there is as well, secretaries, janitors, managers and desk jockies . . .

#405097 - 01/15/08 01:11 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: ]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
I'm fortunate to have bosses that are friends outside of work, and we have an understanding. I give them an honest day and they don't hassle me about my politics after 5:30 PM. A couple of years ago I turned down a job that payed $100,000 through the front door with three weeks payed vacation, but turned it down, among other reasons, because they required urine testing. There's more to life than money. Keeping those who are willing to have your back in close proximity and distancing yourself from those that don't is where it's at. That includes wives.

#405101 - 01/15/08 01:30 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Salmo g.]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
While I hate intrusion into privacy, I do think a employer should have the right to require drug tests if he wants to. Not because he should care what a person does on their own time, but rather because it could be an indicator of an up coming problem, an explaination of unsual behavior or an easier way to rid themself of a liability. I have known of more then one blue collar worker that started embezzling and clost their companies dearly. One guy I know who had his own company worked up to a coke habit of over a $1000.00 a day (I thnk he said he was up to $10,000 a day at the very end) before he collasped his own company into bankruptcy and lost everything. In that case it only hurt himself and his family, but amazing he had so much energy he was doing twice as much work as before. Until the very end, no one knew what was going on.
There is also a question of liability involved. What would happen if an employee comes to work stoned then gets hurt on the job. What if he delivers a package and hits and kills someone. I never have had enough employees to justify it, but I have had an employee embezzle from me and another (who drove a company vehicle) relapse on a bad cocaine habit and end back up on the street. I got lucky in that I wasn't harmed financially much, but either situation could have ended up ruining my company.

#405105 - 01/15/08 01:46 PM Re: Urine test a good idea......? [Re: Krijack]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Krijack,

Then prosecute for embezzling or poor work performance and stay out of the guy's private life. Screening for drug use by employees as a warning of potential problems begs the question of where does it stop? Don't hire overweight people cuz they'll use more medical benefits due to poor health? Don't hire diabetics, don't hire young women who get pregnant and take maternity leave. I'm not advocating drug use. I'm just saying I don't think you have a right to interfere with an employee's life if he or she is effectively providing you the labor you hired.

Sg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (No More Ice Fishin, 1 invisible), 1137 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |