Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#411245 - 02/05/08 04:42 PM Game meat processing
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have a place I take my game meat to, and every time I do it comes out perfect. No variation between batches, as these folks have it down. Northwest Sausage and Deli is great.

Every time I take my sausage someplace else, it doesn't work out. Either they screw with me, or it just doesn't turn out the way I like it. One time I gave them my meat scraps during the deer season and after 3 weeks I called, said it would be another 2 weeks. We played this game for a while, when finally 6 months later he said he'd have half of it ready by the weekend. I told him where he could put the sausage, and I never picked it up.

This year I had set aside some elk scraps in case I wanted to do something different, and I found a place that does my favorite sausage, Land Jaeger. I bought a pound from the store, and it was great. A few weeks later I tried another batch, also great.

I took in 52 pounds of scrap a week or so ago and had them make me some. Spent $200 on the processing, and it looked great! Took a taste, and it was nothing at all like what I had tried. The mouth feel (texture) was perfect, looked great, but it just didn't taste anything like their retail product. I know that game meat has a different taste, but the difference wasn't due to that. Not going to trash them publicly, so don't bother.

Anybody want about 50 pounds of Land Jaeger, free? I'll deliver bewteen Aberdeen and McCleary.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#411257 - 02/05/08 05:11 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: Dogfish]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
If you still have it I'll take it. Could come get it on Saturday. Let me know

#411315 - 02/05/08 09:24 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: Dogfish]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
DF

If you have the time you should do it yourself. I'll make a thread of the latest batch of duck sausage I made and the recipe. Its real easy and a decent way to kill a six pack on a rainy day.

j7 2012

#411346 - 02/05/08 11:13 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: j 7]
hunter 333 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: slayin brats.
ill come get some. if it is still there ill pm u.

#411361 - 02/06/08 12:08 AM Re: Game meat processing [Re: hunter 333]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

BW and Hunter 333 you guys have some reserved, check your PM's. I had 3 folks express an interest. It is bulk packed, so you'll need to pack it for the freezer. I didn't see teh need to spend the cash on packaging once I tasted it.

J7, I'd be interested in your recipes. What machinery do I need? I'm sure the payback would be there in a season or two with as much as I do, and I already do my own butchering.

I usually process about 200-300 pounds a year that doesn't go into steaks, I kill multiple animals every year, so to a quality meat packer I am a great income stream throughout time. (All businesses should recognize and treat quality customers as such.)

Next time, I'll try a smaller batch before I commit. Man, this is three times. If only I could get Northwest Sausage and Deli to make Land Jaeger, I'd be in heaven.

#411384 - 02/06/08 01:35 AM Re: Game meat processing [Re: Dogfish]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Ok DF

I have all the pics ready I just have to size them for a thread. I'll try to get that up for everyone tommorow evening.

j7 2012

#411682 - 02/06/08 09:04 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I'll save a bit Stam.

#411685 - 02/06/08 09:12 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: Dogfish]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I want in on that party. I know there is the "rest of the story".

#411694 - 02/06/08 09:30 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: seastrike]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Deal Dave. Might have to make it happen in somebody's boat.

If it was really screwed up, I would have given the name.

#412004 - 02/07/08 07:41 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: Dogfish]
hunter 333 Offline
Returning Adult

ever tried bay city sausage out towards westport?

#412034 - 02/07/08 09:10 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: hunter 333]
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
 Originally Posted By: hunter 333
ever tried bay city sausage out towards westport?

I have and I wasn't very impressed.

#412065 - 02/07/08 10:47 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: riverswild]
hunter 333 Offline
Returning Adult

i like theyre peperoni sometimes, keep trying to find a new place around here but havnt had any luck

#421449 - 03/11/08 12:28 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: hunter 333]
coastalghost Offline
Parr

Loc: Elma, WA.
+ 1 for Northwest deli. Best move I ever made switching to them. At least you know your getting your own meat back. I had 60lbs of elk teryaki summer sausage done.....incredible. Beer aint half bad either....grin.

#422881 - 03/18/08 12:10 AM Re: Game meat processing [Re: coastalghost]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
I like Heritage meats in Rochester. used them for years before they moved to Rochester.I took 100 lbs of Idaho white tail t ohim this year and love the summer sausage and peperonie.

Never cared for NW Sausage myself. they do have a great deli for lunch. Love their Rubben sandwich!!!!!

Kris

#424842 - 03/25/08 10:44 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: dcrzfitter]
coastalghost Offline
Parr

Didnt know there was a meat place in rottenfester....Ill have to check it out.

#425135 - 03/26/08 06:13 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: coastalghost]
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
Heritage meats in Rochester, was east Oly meats. They moved about a year ago to Rochester. The best in my opinion is Johnson's meats in east Oly. And that is after having stuf done at the others mentioned. They are all good. But my vote for best is Johnson's.
Buck

#425137 - 03/26/08 06:17 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: Buck]
coastalghost Offline
Parr

Johnsons is good...but you are not getting your own meat. Thats where I used to take mine until I found that out. I dont want others meat mixed with mine.

#425150 - 03/26/08 06:52 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: coastalghost]
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
I haven'thad that probelm at Johnson's. But I also wait to take mine in until after the main seasons are over. I usually wait until Dec. or Jan when they aren't inundated with meat?
Buck

#425153 - 03/26/08 07:05 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: Buck]
coastalghost Offline
Parr

Thats a good idea.....hell, wait even longer if ya can. I believe its stated on there brochure that they mix the meat. I spend alot of time making sure I get most of the sinew and hair etc. off make sure its clean.....dont want someone elses gut slimed haired up meat with mine....just seems counterproductive.

#425220 - 03/26/08 10:25 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: Dogfish]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

My brother use to be the clean up boy when Heritage meats was East Oly meats. all meat is tagged with the owners info and processed by it's self so what you bring is what you get.

As for Johnsons Meats. well it's good if you like allot of fat!! I grew up not far from both shops and my dad went to school with Johnson and helped him get the busines going. but when he got big he started useing allot of FAT to add more weight. I personally like Heritage and the way he does all his products.

I allso like the Jalipino summer sausage Butcher Boys in Puyallup does. It' GOOD Stuff!!!!

Kris

#425234 - 03/26/08 10:58 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: dcrzfitter]
coastalghost Offline
Parr

Small cyber world...I grew up less than a mile from Johnsons. I lived on Rich/rixie rd. next to Boe Sand and Gravel.

#425593 - 03/28/08 08:27 PM Re: Game meat processing [Re: coastalghost]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

coastalghost,

small world we might know each other. I grew up down by the cider mill. Off Crete St. I went to the Old Elmentry school by the Fire station untill about 3 rd grade and my parents pulled me out and sent me to private school. I graduated in 96.

shoot me a p.m. with yer e-mail

Kris McAferty

#427114 - 04/07/08 03:01 AM Re: Game meat processing [Re: dcrzfitter]
Jason Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA
Is the Northwest Sausage and Deli mentioned here the one down close to Centralia? I have about 50lbs of whitetail in the freezer from this past season that I want made into sausage. I live up here close to Everett, but I have a silhouette match at the end of the month down in Pe Ell. I could drop it by there on the way to the match and pick it up a few days later on the way back. How long did it take them to do the job? Even if it wasn't ready in a few days, I'm sure one of the guys I shoot with could bring it back up to me sometime if I give him some of it. \:\)

#427332 - 04/08/08 01:30 AM Re: Game meat processing [Re: coastalghost]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
Hey J 7 I used to live in Pullman and I have had two vastly different experiencesn in game meat processing in that area. The first is with Potlatch Pack, for the past six years they have been awsome, dirt cheap, fast , and tasty. This year however, when I shot my deer Potlatch was full so I went elsewhere, the only place I could find with space was a place in Moscow on the Troy Hwy (wont mention names) but my meat is hardly edible very rancid, and even the burger is gamey. I normally cut my meat myself but the weather was too warm for me to do it without a freezer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 535 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |