Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431623 - 04/30/08 12:25 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: JR32]
jandlfishingguide Offline
Repeat Spawner

Big Corporate K-Mart and WalMart might support it though?

I like the huge mound of dirt the new car Dealership just off I-5 built their new dealership on. Just high enough above the flood line LOL

#431636 - 04/30/08 01:10 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: jandlfishingguide]
JimB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis
Living right in the heart of the disaster the devastation was beyond what most of you can imagine. That said I am in no way convinced that a Dam can be built to prevent what happened. We had 6" of snow and then at least 10" of rain. Yes this caused not just one mud slide but several, a one hour drive of the area shows hundreds of slides...not just logged off areas but areas of adult Maples, Alders and Fir...if the ground was in the least bit unstable all that water caused it to fail. I really don't think anything can fix it.

Jerry, as for the brand new car dealership just off I-5 it got water.

JimB

#431648 - 04/30/08 04:47 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: JimB]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Yeah, I was afraid that this was going to happen. The slide on the upper section of Stillman Creek in the So. frk has faded into an "act of god" in our heads, thanks you non-investigating-greenwashing-braindead-reporters for not covering the story enough to really piss people off. J&L you hit it right on the nose buddy, here is you link to the story,

http://www.thenewstribune.com/business/story/231722.html

more angles, look at the drainage valleys over from slide, little mud chutes;

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/ResearchScience/Topics/GeologicHazardsMapping/Pages/landslides_littlemill.aspx

and here is another link with some more pics, an ANOTHER shuge slide that went almost completely unreported,

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1940192/posts

maybe we should repost this liks fishNphysician did, get people riled up again and maybe people will finally remember who had a major hand in the destruction up there!

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/397457/fpart/1

and by the way, just in case any of you want to check the regs, here is DNR's timber harvest guideline packet complete with clear cut procedures, what to leave and buffer zones!

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/fp_fpi_timberharvest.pdf

I really hope that people thinks about how this got nasty real quick, and who is reaping the little bit of profit back from it (here: http://www.theolympian.com/localnewsfeed/story/379208.html), remeber that the chehalis will be gone for a long, long time and even after that will be incredibly "flashy" for time to come...lets try to remeber what hapened out there when we see the "chehalis mud".

As for a Dam? I would hope not, mainly because the terrain is just not suitable, I think it is a lot of people venting hot air. I would REALLY hope that we are not that dumb....besides dispite having all of the fisherman,outdoorsman, and other"informed"individuals completely against it, it is close enough to Evergreen state college to have and endless supplies of guitar-toting hippies to muck up the works...that'll scare the heck outta the residents of Pe Ell, and area...

#431652 - 04/30/08 09:59 AM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: On The Swing]
Ihookum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester WA
It would be pretty difficult to build above spawning ground on the upper Chehalis. I have witnessed several adult pairs above the east fork. At that point your a nine iron from the Grays River and/or Elochamen.

#431691 - 04/30/08 02:23 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: Ihookum]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
Thats what i was thinking Ihookum I have seen spawners Way up the river.

#431757 - 04/30/08 06:07 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: jandlfishingguide]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
 Originally Posted By: jandlfishingguide
Big Corporate K-Mart and WalMart might support it though?

I like the huge mound of dirt the new car Dealership just off I-5 built their new dealership on. Just high enough above the flood line LOL

That was an illegal land sale by The City of Chehalis. It happened in a back room to which the public not was permitted or even told about.

#431760 - 04/30/08 06:14 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: On The Swing]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
 Originally Posted By: On The Swing
it is close enough to Evergreen state college to have and endless supplies of guitar-toting hippies to muck up the works...that'll scare the heck outta the residents of Pe Ell, and area...

Excellent Post Swing.

On a side note that makes me smirk, a great many of those old derelict farms in the Boistfort Valley (actually from Claquato all the way up to PeEll) are being snapped up my the monied granola & patchouli crowd out of Seattle & back east and converted into lucrative organic farms.
I don't think they'd be too keen on having their summer water supplies cut to a trickle.

#432010 - 05/01/08 07:30 PM Re: Upper Chehalis River Dam... [Re: Irie]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
I live fairly close to the areas that had some very severe damage and have fished there extensivly over the years. I know one old farmer who lives down stream from PeEll on Hope Creek. He has lived there 20 some feet above the river (vertically) for 68 years. His home had 4+ feet of water in it. Do you consider him to be one of those fools who built in the flood plain? Not me.Putting any blame on the people who live up there is just someone who wants to feel superior making a lot of hot air and showing thier ignorance.He is in his 90's and I don't believe he really has gotten a grasp of what has happened as he rebuilds. Will it ever flood him out again? I also doubt it. The circumstances that contributed to this flood that saw water running down the streets of PeEll with the heavy wet snow and very heavy warm rain were an oddity.Anyone who has ever been to PeEll knows how far it is above the river. Did the development of the land by the airport have an effect on the PeEll and Hope Creek area flooding ? I think that is a real stretch of the imagination. If the river had a Niagra Falls type drop right below Rainbow Falls Park it might have helped some,but there still would have been flooding in the PeEll area due to so much water having no where to go in such a short time.
That being said, I would hope that reasoning minds would be quick to shoot down the dam idea as it is not an area that would be concidered to be viable as an option.The upper Chehalis tribs and Stillman creek are very pristine spawning habitat even with all overharvesting and clear cutting by the major timber entities.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
troller
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 424 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13395
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645469 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |