Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433206 - 05/07/08 02:50 PM Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
Cause of death not known.
This is getting interesting.

#433211 - 05/07/08 03:14 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: goforchrome]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Makes since to me...probably explains why NO bullet's or bullet holes were found.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#433216 - 05/07/08 03:35 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Magicfly]
Stalmass Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Selah, WA
I heard this from a very reliable source as well. Something to keep in mind is that when confined in a small area, these hogs don't get along at all. They could have very easily just beat the shiat out of each other, or another possibility is that these beasts can over heat very quickly, and if I remember correctly, it was pretty warm over the weekend. Maybe a combo of the two?? The mystery continues.

#433219 - 05/07/08 03:37 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Stalmass]
grizz1 Offline
Returning Adult

PORTLAND, Ore. -- NOAA's Fisheries Service said that the cause of death of six sea lions found on two traps at Bonneville Dam Sunday remains unknown, they were not gunshot wounds as originally reported.

The necropsies did identify numerous shallow puncture wounds in one animal that are consistent with sea lion bite marks, according to NOAA. An investigation is ongoing by the agency to determine how the animals officially died.

The carcasses of two California sea lions and one Steller sea lion were each contained in two closed traps, said Rick Hargrave, a spokesman for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

NOAA is investigating how the doors to the traps could have been closed because in the trapping operations, the traps are left open so the sea lions get used to them. When wildlife agents are ready to remove the sea lions, they close the traps.

Seven California sea lions were trapped on the Columbia starting April 24 after the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals approved their capture. One died during a medical inspection before transfer to a Sea World park.

Anyone with information that may assist in this investigation is asked to call the NOAA Enforcement Hotline at 1-800-853-1964.

#433220 - 05/07/08 03:46 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: grizz1]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The plot thickens.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#433221 - 05/07/08 03:57 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: eyeFISH]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
PETA and HSUS did it.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#433234 - 05/07/08 04:56 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: ]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
I'm certainly one who thinks the death of these sealions which will both in the short and long term HURT our sportfishing cause. I also think it's *very* unlikely these guys all died spontaneous, natural deaths...

Further, I never got remotely close to characterizing anyone as a redneck, just that I think their impulsive "solution" is going to be a large-ish net-negative for fish and fishermen.

#433244 - 05/07/08 05:47 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: IrishRogue]
Stalmass Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Selah, WA
I don't know about impulsive, but what I do know is that 50-60 more Salmon/Steelhead will make it over Bonneville daily which is significant over the course of a run. This is a hell of a lot better than what we have had in the past. Stop whining about this being a set back!

#433245 - 05/07/08 05:53 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
 Originally Posted By: stam
doesn't change my recommendation of runnin' a hook through them and lettin' them sway in the current. ;\)

Let's see who is first to step up and apologize for badmouthing "the rednecks"....should be a pretty good lineup for that detail.

anybody?

stam

No way. I badmouth hillbillies, crackers, & rednecks every chance I get.

I can't wait for my next opportunity.

Besides: I never once mentioned Rednecks in any post related to this matter.
If you took the description of "Callous, selfish, triggerhappy, & thoughtless" as an exact to-the-letter description of "redneck," then I think that calls for a bit of introspection on your part.
;\)

#433250 - 05/07/08 06:17 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Irie]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
found this article
Sea lions were not shot; search continues for cause of death
Posted by The Associated Press May 07, 2008 12:33PM
Categories: Environment, Outdoors, Top Stories
Federal fisheries officials now say the six sea lions found dead in traps near Bonneville Dam apparently were not shot to death.

Spokesman Brian Gorman of the National Marine Fisheries Service said Wednesday that preliminary results of a necropsy found no evidence of recent gunshot wounds but found numerous shallow puncture wounds in one animal consistent with sea lion bite marks.

Gorman says X-rays found metal fragments in soft tissue near the neck of two animals.

He says a metal slug was found in the blubber of one animal, but neither the fragments nor the slug appear to be fatal and may have been from old wounds.

The agency is still trying to determine how the animals died.

Edited by larryb (05/07/08 06:25 PM)

#433251 - 05/07/08 06:28 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Stalmass]
jandlfishingguide Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Stalmass
I heard this from a very reliable source as well. Something to keep in mind is that when confined in a small area, these hogs don't get along at all. They could have very easily just beat the shiat out of each other, or another possibility is that these beasts can over heat very quickly, and if I remember correctly, it was pretty warm over the weekend. Maybe a combo of the two?? The mystery continues.

reports claim the doors were opened all weekend?

#433256 - 05/07/08 06:41 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: jandlfishingguide]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
If the original reports that they had been shot by folks who went out in a boat, opened the traps, and then shot them are false, then I would say blaming a redneck for going out in a boat, opening the trap, and shooting them would have been incorrect...

Sorry for huring the feelings of any rednecks...we all know what a sensitive crowd they are.

\:\)

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#433261 - 05/07/08 07:13 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Todd]
Jaba'da butt Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kelso, wa.
Maybe theres Vampire Bats at Bonneville ,could be a new major Blockbuster show! I see the FEDS are letting the Sea lions Alone now, probably won't trap them till 2009.

#433272 - 05/07/08 07:37 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Jaba'da butt]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
brewer excepts your apology Todd, i was very censetive to your remarks, they were hurtfull.

#433284 - 05/07/08 08:17 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Brewer]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

the brewer, lots of things you are, but "redneck" ain't one of 'em!

Will I see you down south in a couple of weeks? Not sure if I'll be making it this year or not yet...

Fish on...

Todd

#433291 - 05/07/08 09:12 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Todd]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
The funniest thing about all of this is the media and the internet experts assumed they were shot by some dumb redneck.

sykofishredneckandproud

Rusty Bell

#433298 - 05/07/08 09:59 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: sykofish]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
i have to admit that this intire story is the biggest farsk of news i've witnessed in sometime. i honestly feel that the USHS owes us sport fisherman a huge apology. this group really did us sportfishers a disservice.

#433302 - 05/07/08 10:21 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: Brewer]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Stalmass, do you actually understand what the term "net-negative" means? I'm asking because you seem confused.

#433307 - 05/07/08 10:43 PM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: IrishRogue]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Dose this mean that the ivestigation is over and trapping can continue?

j7 2012

#433343 - 05/08/08 12:57 AM Re: Sealions not shot? See KIROtv.com news story [Re: j 7]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

No, the investigation is just beginning, and trapping is over until next spring...

Fish on...

Todd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1166 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |