Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434785 - 05/16/08 04:49 PM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: Todd]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bellingham
Where does someone see the current daily catch #'s by the tribes on the Skagit Tillerdemon?

I have made many many phone calls to the WDFW and they refer me to the Tribes. I contact the Tribes, who then say that they do not have that information on hand and it doesn't even become available to WDFW for roughly 3 weeks. Also, he said that if they did have that information on hand, it would have to go through a certain # of hands before they could approve a release of that info to the public.

The gentleman at the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission told me that the Indian fisheries monitor their own catch and report the numbers to the WDFW in 3 weeks? So....who is monitoring them daily and their catch counts?

Bunch of BS!

#435367 - 05/20/08 08:02 PM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: Thrasher]
autopilot70 Offline
Parr

I just got Last Thursdays catch total 219 Springers 24 of which were wild and 22 more wild steelhead. Still no Sockeye (thats what they say they are after). One more day of netting is schedueled this week.

#435373 - 05/20/08 08:13 PM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: autopilot70]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I think Thrasher has found a problem. Self-policing after it goes through the spin cycle.

#435379 - 05/20/08 09:05 PM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
grizz1 Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Anyone know a reporter with the times I tried to get our local paper to do a story on this but no one called me back. Maybe if more people knew what was going on it may help

If anyone gets any paper other than the Reel News to print any negative story on anything an indian tribe does THAT would be newsworthy.....Do not hold your breath. To the general public at large they are just feeding their poor families like they have been doing for thousands of years. Poor things....

#435395 - 05/20/08 11:55 PM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: grizz1]
team cracker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
Someone I know who lives on the skagit around lyman photographed and videotaped the upper skagit tribe cleaning female chum salmon and disposing them into the river, the male chums were just disposed into the river... anyways he got someone from the skagit valley herald to write an article, the conlusion of the article... IT WAS PERFECTLY LEGAL FOR THE TRIBES TO NET FISH, KNOWINGLY WASTE THEM ND KEEP THE ROE! Anyways He has lots of videotape of this sort of thing going on up there, as it happens every year. Last September the spawning beds were wiped of Chinook after several weeks of netting for Humpy's (his story not mine), which by the way was closed for sportfisherman. I beleive he has sent the video to CCA, but not totally sure.

#435402 - 05/21/08 12:49 AM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: Thrasher]
Tillerdemon Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: Thrasher
Where does someone see the current daily catch #'s by the tribes on the Skagit Tillerdemon?

I have made many many phone calls to the WDFW and they refer me to the Tribes. I contact the Tribes, who then say that they do not have that information on hand and it doesn't even become available to WDFW for roughly 3 weeks. Also, he said that if they did have that information on hand, it would have to go through a certain # of hands before they could approve a release of that info to the public.

The gentleman at the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission told me that the Indian fisheries monitor their own catch and report the numbers to the WDFW in 3 weeks? So....who is monitoring them daily and their catch counts?

Bunch of BS!

Thrasher,
Yes it's a bunch of BS that the tribes are not required to report there catch publicly.... I will not reveal my source of info as to protect them, I will say it's a valid source with no BS!!!!

#436576 - 05/30/08 08:00 PM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: Tillerdemon]
autopilot70 Offline
Parr

Nets were back in last night. Wild steelhead on sale at Mt Vernon Thriftway for 2 bucks a pound.

#436585 - 05/30/08 09:01 PM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: autopilot70]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

AP70,

If indeed wild steelhead are being sold at a Mt. Vernon store, I think if the Wildcat Steelheaders have a single hair on their collective asses, they ought to be able to get that changed.

Sg

#436594 - 05/30/08 11:30 PM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: Salmo g.]
Waterboy Offline
Returning Adult

What is the MV thriftway? Never heard of that store. Do you have an address?

I heard and tribal member say when asked about netting the skagit river say, " they call it a sockeye fishery which I don't understand cause there are no sockeye in the river until july, but we are netting anyway with a 5 and 1/4 quater inch mesh."

#436600 - 05/31/08 12:51 AM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: Waterboy]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
I remember a string right here a few months ago where "Indians do not target wild Steelhead and Salmon"
"The Indian bycatch is minimal"
"It is all about habitat"

#436601 - 05/31/08 01:31 AM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: Kari Neumeyer]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Kari Neumeyer
Originally Posted By: Tillerdemon
This is a very sad deal!!! From what i understand the tribes presented this fishery at the very last minute at the North of Falcon meetings creating quite a upstir... Seems that it not only will be going on in the skagit river but in the bay as well and it's a gill net fisherey with a Bycatch qouto of 7000 Chinnook.. Would be nice if a repersenative that attended the NOF meetings coulg fill us in on all exacts.

Just to clarify a bit, the Skagit sockeye fishery was part of the tribes' original proposal at North of Falcon. At the first joint NOF meeting in March, the co-managers tabled it for later discussion, so that may be why there was the perception it was introduced at the last minute.

You're absolutely right, the fishery does have a bay component with a bycatch ceiling for chinook. Like all fisheries (tribal, non-tribal, etc...), impacts from this fishery were accounted for in the decision-making process. In terms of impacts on Stilly fish, the breakdown of tribal to non-tribal impacts is something along the lines of 27 percent tribal and the rest non-tribal. I can get specific numbers if you want.

It’s been more than 30 years since Swinomish had a sockeye fishery here, and this fishery is the result of many years of enhancement efforts by the tribes and Seattle City Light that have increased the return to Baker Lake.

You can see the entire list of agreed-to fisheries at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/tribal/2008-09agreement.pdf

If you have questions, feel free to call WDFW, or the individual tribes. Each tribe has a hotline with up-to-date information about their fisheries: 360-466-4112 (Swinomish and Sauk-Suiattle); 360-854-7095 (Upper Skagit).

~~~~~~~
Kari Neumeyer
North Sound Information Officer
Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission
360-424-8226
kneumeyer@nwifc.org
www.nwifc.org

Just thought folks would like to know NWIFC is completely wrong here…..unless the Dept posted the FRAM results wrong here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/final_chinook_coho_fram_model_runs_2008-2009.pdf

The FRAM model using the agreed to list of fisheries is located on the WDFW site click on Fishing/Shellfishing > Salmon/Steelhead > Under “Other Information” link labeled “Final Chinook (2108) and Coho (0824) FRAM model runs based on 08-09 Agreed-to Fisheries”

In Table 6A it shows the ER on natural stocks by stock and fishery. Seems like the NonTribal total ER is 58.5% ….which means the Indian rate is 41.5% of the total (100%-58.5%=41.5), not the 27% you mention here Kari….could you explain yourself? Looks like the final FRAM run is a new posting on the WDFW website, or was this data not available to you when you quoted the tribes had 27% of the total impacts on Stilly? I thought through NOF the tribes and state constantly run FRAM models to see what the list of fisheries are actually doing….so why would you initially state a percentage that was lower than what was modeled in the final preseason agreement...seems like another attempt to mask what is really a Chinook/Steelhead fishery by calling it a sockeye fishery….and how many sockeye were expected to be caught by now….and how many actually have been?
huh

#436607 - 05/31/08 09:13 AM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: rojoband]
grizz1 Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
another attempt to mask what is really a Chinook/Steelhead fishery by calling it a sockeye fishery

WOW another revelation...the tribes exploiting runs of fish without regard to wild status....pretending to target one species while netting another and selling fish no one else can even legally catch.

Oh and Salmo....you better write to your congressman to start the ball rolling to get the treaties cancelled so the tribes can't catch whatever they please whenever they please and sell whatever they catch whenever and where ever they want...WDFW can't stop them and neither can any fishing club no matter how noble their cause.

#436608 - 05/31/08 09:16 AM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: grizz1]
grizz1 Offline
Returning Adult

I really sympathize with the people up around the Skagit who have worked so hard to revive the Chinook run only to see the usual suspects netting the hell out of them....Habitat restoration and hard work to restore depressed runs should not result in more opportunities for the tribes to net us back to square one...but it does.

#436613 - 05/31/08 10:26 AM Re: Skagit River Netting [Re: grizz1]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
rojoband -
Thanks for posting the link to the final 2008 FRAM run. You are correct; if folks want to understand where are fish are going that is good place to start.

However a couple points. When I do the math in the Table 6A you referred to I get a break-out of Washington catches of Stillaquamish Chinook as follows -
Treaty - 32%
non-try Comm. - 5%
Sport -63%

The information in those tables are useful in looking at large scale issues but remember that the data in those tables are summaries and are typically rounded to the nearest tenth of per cent or nearest fish. The result is that due to rounding errors one can get different results - this may explain the differents between Kari's 27% and final run's number of 32% of the tribal impacts; (if you add the impacts in table 6a we get 12.8% while the non-rounded value is something at 14.8%). Regardless an important point is that the sport fisheries still is using the lion's share of the Washington impacts.

Regarding the timing of the insertation of the Skagit fisheries. It may well have been that Skagit Tribes brought up their desire for those sockeye/Chinook fisheries early in the process those fisheries was not included in the modeling efforts until late in the process - until such fisheries are modeled it is impossible to know what the impacts will be and how other fisheries may have to "shaped" to adjust if total impacts on stocks of concern exceed allowable limits. During the NOF process that the early wish list of fisheries (both treaty and non-treaty) includes a number of suggests/ideas that do not end up in the "final package" of seasons.

Tight lines
Curt

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 327 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |