LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#457953 - 10/05/08 11:36 PM The boy's on a roll.
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Headed out for day two of our search for a deer for Hunter today, back to the same area, Vail tree farm, in an attempt to fill his "any deer" tag. No traffic today whatsoever, much like last night. I think the guy at the gate said he checked in 9 folks by the time we left, and we were the first to leave. wink

First some pics of our crew.

The deer were shaking in their beds with this cool cast of characters. One of our neighbor's boys joined us for the hunt.

Started out a little slow, as we didn't see a deer until about 8am, a fawn. Looked around for that big 3 point and we jumped him from the same exact spot for the second time in about 16 hours. I would have a plan if we got to go back another day, as he used the same exact escape route. I guess that is why he grew up to have 3 points.

Saw a spike, and a few other deer that escaped at warped speed or they were does with fawns, and then 10am came, so the "doe contingency" kicked in. I think by that time Hunter had to pass up shots at about 10 deer between the two days that he could have shot, all under 50 yards or so, standing broadside. Chip shots. He'd paid his dues.

We saw a doe in a clear-cut, and so the stalk was on. Hunter learned that even a doe has great skills, as she easily evaded him. Ryan actually yelled, "she's galloping away!"

We decided to hunt another portion of the same clearcut and while on one of the trails that traversed the cut, I looked up and there were two does about 70 yards away, straight uphill. Hunter kneeled, and using the shooting sticks made a good shot that took out the rear of both lungs and the liver. It was far enough back that I was worried about a gut shot, but that wasn't an issue. She headed uphill after the shot for about 10 yards, then came crashing downhill about 30. From there is was an easy downhill drag to the road, as steep as it was, and he tagged out for his second season in a row.

The game checker said that she was likely a 3+ year old deer due to her teeth and wear patterns, and she had no milk, which was good for Hunter's conscience.

Thanks again for the folks who guided us to places to go. Much appreciated. I am also very thankful for the WDFW and Weyerhauser for putting these youth only hunts together. What a great event to share with the boys.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#457957 - 10/05/08 11:50 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Dogfish]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Big congrats to Hunter! I showed the pics to Brent and he wants to hunt deer next year.
Dad of the year vote for Andy.

#457973 - 10/06/08 02:52 AM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Dogfish]
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
From there is was an easy downhill drag to the road,

You've taught him well.

#457990 - 10/06/08 11:06 AM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: cupo]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
Congrats! nice work Andy!

#458013 - 10/06/08 12:58 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: D3Smartie]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
That is awesome! You guys have way too much fun, now get back to work on your house.

Good job Andy.

#458042 - 10/06/08 03:41 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Rocket Red]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Right on Andy. How did they handle dressing the kill?

#458126 - 10/06/08 10:53 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Sky-Guy]
JerryP Offline
Fry

Loc: Mtlaketerrace
Congrats! way to go.

#458170 - 10/06/08 11:35 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: JerryP]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hunter dug right in on the buck. It was the fourth big game kill that they'd been at, so there wasn't any issue there. No issues either with the blood, and we went over each organ, and what it does as we dressed the deer.

RR,

We poured concrete Saturday, then hunted that evening. Sunday am we hunted, then I got back to the shop, and I burned stumps all day today!

I did get out last night and hunted for 3 hours across teh road and saw 7 deer, including a spike, but let him pass. I need to hunt a little bit more for teh stress relief, and I still have the late season.

#458250 - 10/07/08 12:38 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Dogfish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

I got a ML tag this year, too. It's my first one. I haven't been out yet though, because the river is still in shape.

Got plans for a quick duck-hunt Sat AM, and then start picking cranberries.

I wish my kids were a little older, so that they could help me more at the remodel project, or at least be there without constant attention. It would take a load off of my wife, and I could spend more time being like Dogfish. As it is I have to split time between killing and working, and that sucks.

#458403 - 10/07/08 11:30 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Rocket Red]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Shoot, you have a set of roads right near your house that would allow you to take a drive with the girls. Look at the pretty deer Daddy!

KAPOW!

Do you want to pet the deer, Ellah? It was a Ronno deer. (Bad deer in Bambi)

Problem solved!

Saw 4 deer tonight, including a spike, and 6 Sunday evening. The spikes each night didn't stick around long enough for me to get a shot.

#458425 - 10/08/08 12:07 AM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Dogfish]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
Great story and pics. I remember when I was that age, I had shot my first whitetail and I swear all I had on my mind the entire time I was hunting was being able to poke at those guts. Man did it feel great, I was a real spaz at that age. lol

Jake

#458981 - 10/09/08 11:33 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Dogfish]
fish-hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Maple Valley
As usual good job Andy, glad to see the kids getting into deer.

#459946 - 10/14/08 11:21 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: fish-hunter]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Very cool Andy. thumbs

Like you, I'm kinda holding out for the late ML season......nothing better in my book. Salmon are winding down, a bit early for winter runs which leaves a nice couple-week window to chase blacktails in crappy weather.

Can't wait!

#459966 - 10/15/08 01:34 AM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Eric]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Eric,

Shot many a deer in December. Nothing better than peddling out in the snow wih a deer on your bike. I ran into my first group of hunters where I hunt two years ago, after 12 years of hunting there. Bring it on, be it rain, snow or wind. December 2nd was good for Hunter last year. What a blustery day to hunt. Up to 12" of snow where we were, and then temps going from freezing to 50+ and sideways rain in a few hours. Separates the men from the boys in a hurry, especially with a single shot weapon that doesn't work well when wet.

Last night I took Ry-guy (age 9) out for a shot at some deer. In two hours we saw 4, all does. He is chomping at the bit. After I get my shop windows installed, and the roof is on, we'll head out to chase the local deer.

Take a kid hunting. It is such a blast.

#460147 - 10/15/08 06:02 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Dogfish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

I am looking forward to the late ML hunt as well. This is my first year with the ML. I have been having a great time shooting it, that is for sure.

#460158 - 10/15/08 06:43 PM Re: The boy's on a roll. [Re: Rocket Red]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Right on, I love seeing kids with deer... Nothing better!

Keith thumbs

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |